What's new

Which is your favorite GEM/EVER-READY RAZOR ?

@Twelvefret,

OK. I shaved today using my GEM "Featherweight" Razor. The Razor felt nice in the hand and like it's namesake, is Feather weight/agile handling/smooth. That being said, I must confess that I did NOT have a good shave. I'm beginning to suspect the BLADES I'm using might be the issue rather than the Razor(s). For the most part, I had a rather UN-comfortable shave with too much friction/scraping/drag. The Razor did shave very close to the Skin. However, it was about an hour or two later that I looked more closely in my (CAR) Mirror and was shocked to see how much beard was remaining on/under my Chin. This rather SHOCKED & surprised me as I shaved over this Chin area multiple times. I've never experience this situation with ANY other Razor. I'm using these BLADES :
proxy.php

Gem Super Stainless Steel Single Edge Blades 10 Each
Perhaps I used this ONE Blade too long a time. I will now (MUST) try Shaving again with the Featherweight but this time (next time) using a BRAND NEW Blade!

SixCats!

Brother six, this is the blade you want, the only blade. GEM - Stainless Steel PTFE Coated - $0.50 each - Double Edge Razor Blade

Surely you've seen this.
GEM5.jpg
GEM instructions1.jpg

Note the instructions are not then same, the angles differ. Use the instructions on the right for the MMOC. I've not tried the one on the left, but use all of my GEM collection the same as the MMOC and the BMMOC.

For me the first generation and subsequent open comb sans the two bumps are the more efficient razor per stroke I possess in my safety razor collection. I am sure it will be the same with you once you get a decent blade and follow the GEM instructions.

Cheers bro.:)

I love my damaskeene open comb and my G-bar. However, I think I like my flying wing with the guiding eye the best!

@Twelvefret, Twelve, I'm confused. Is not the Blades I use/purchased from Pharmapacks the same ones you are recommending or are they different ? Am I missing something ?

proxy.php

Oooh, yes, I've seen the instructions (well, the ones/link on the (L)

SixCats!

@Twelvefret, Twelve, I'm confused. Is not the Blades I use/purchased from Pharmapacks the same ones you are recommending or are they different ? Am I missing something ?

SixCats!

No sir, those are not the coated blades. Those are what I would use in a box cutter or to clean windows.

I would be happy to send you a couple for an eval, but you can order them yourself from Try A Blade. The coated ones are .30 cents each on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/search?q=gem coated blades

So, make sure the MMOC top is near flat against your face. This is too good of a design for me to allow you to fail.

proxy.php

SixCats!

Those are not coated with PTFE, but are suitable for shaving as is any 3-faceted SE blade. The uncoated SS blades have their fans, but most of us prefer the PTFE-coated ones.

My favorite Gem blade razor is the Gem 1912.

@Twelvefret,

OK. I shaved today using my GEM "Featherweight" Razor. The Razor felt nice in the hand and like it's namesake, is Feather weight/agile handling/smooth. That being said, I must confess that I did NOT have a good shave. I'm beginning to suspect the BLADES I'm using might be the issue rather than the Razor(s). For the most part, I had a rather UN-comfortable shave with too much friction/scraping/drag. The Razor did shave very close to the Skin. However, it was about an hour or two later that I looked more closely in my (CAR) Mirror and was shocked to see how much beard was remaining on/under my Chin. This rather SHOCKED & surprised me as I shaved over this Chin area multiple times. I've never experience this situation with ANY other Razor. I'm using these BLADES :
proxy.php

Perhaps I used this ONE Blade too long a time. I will now (MUST) try Shaving again with the Featherweight but this time (next time) using a BRAND NEW Blade!

SixCats!
Those are the ones I have been using, to good effect, but most people prefer the PTFE coated blades.

proxy.php

SixCats!
I like those blades. I can get 8 or 9 comfortable shaves out of one of those blades.

Hi all,

Ooooh damn! I can't believe I ordered the wrong Blades! OK, I will soon place an order for the "coated" Blades. My "Guts" (and my Face) was telling me "something" wasn't right. This should be interesting!
Thanks all.

SixCats!

My favorite, by far, is the MMOC with the two bumps. I've got three of them, and my favorite I bought recently on a BST keracoated by Delta Echo. I hadn't used a Gem-blade razor for a couple of years until I acquired this gem (yes, I saw what I did) a week ago. I used it again this morning, in fact.

I haven't bought Gem blades for years, but the best deal for a hundred-pack (why go anything less?) used to be Ted Pella. PTFE. I haven't seen Ted Pella mentioned for a bit--is it still a good spot for PTFE Gem blades?

P.S. I believe the order I placed with Ted Pella was 121-2, which is 200 PTFE Gem blades for $30.

Last edited:
My favorite, by far, is the MMOC with the two bumps. I've got three of them, and my favorite I bought recently on a BST keracoated by Delta Echo. I hadn't used a Gem-blade razor for a couple of years until I acquired this gem (yes, I saw what I did) a week ago. I used it again this morning, in fact.

I haven't bought Gem blades for years, but the best deal for a hundred-pack (why go anything less?) used to be Ted Pella. PTFE. I haven't seen Ted Pella mentioned for a bit--is it still a good spot for PTFE Gem blades?

P.S. I believe the order I placed with Ted Pella was 121-2, which is 200 PTFE Gem blades for $30.
121-2 are uncoated
121-3 are coated @ $37.40 for 200
unknown shipping cost

I used "The Razor Blade Company" through Amazon was $23 for 100. Shipping Free.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

The best price I've found is here: GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades -- even with shipping (which is incredibly reasonable to the US).

I stand corrected, @Clay S. I, in fact, bought the 121-3 package. @Flintstone65, I haven't run a currency exchange rate analysis, but you may be right. Carry on!

P.S. I remember clearly when I bought my 200 blades from Ted Pella (121-3), I didn't pay any postage. Something to do with using a business address. (Which I always do, in part because my neighborhood is a bit sketchy and in part because my wife doesn't need to know what I stash at my office.)

Last edited:
WHAt I like best is I don’t have to choose. I am lucky enought to own a few models and chose pick one for the day when I feel like it.

I stand corrected, @Clay S. I, in fact, bought the 121-3 package. @Flintstone65, I haven't run a currency exchange rate analysis, but you may be right. Carry on!

P.S. I remember clearly when I bought my 200 blades from Ted Pella (121-3), I didn't pay any postage. Something to do with using a business address. (Which I always do, in part because my neighborhood is a bit sketchy and in part because my wife doesn't need to know what I stash at my office.)
I did the exchange analysis. It's significantly cheaper. I wonder what 5000 run at atblades.com. :)

Brother six, this is the blade you want, the only blade. GEM - Stainless Steel PTFE Coated - $0.50 each - Double Edge Razor Blade

Surely you've seen this.
View attachment 1000980 View attachment 1000979

Note the instructions are not then same, the angles differ. Use the instructions on the right for the MMOC. I've not tried the one on the left, but use all of my GEM collection the same as the MMOC and the BMMOC.

For me the first generation and subsequent open comb sans the two bumps are the more efficient razor per stroke I possess in my safety razor collection. I am sure it will be the same with you once you get a decent blade and follow the GEM instructions.

Cheers bro.:)
Brother Clay,

The picture on the left applies only to the Ever-Ready 1924 model. The picture on the right (razor head flat or virtually flat against the face) applies to virtually all other SE razors.

Top Bottom