What's new

Which is your Favorite Bay Rum Aftershave

I tried the lime bay rum from Dominica this morning. Save your coin for something else.

The limes is basically the regular bay rum with a small amount of lime essential oil. I mean small, like perhaps a drop or two. The scent of limes is extremely light, almost nonexistent. After the dry down it was like I was wearing the plain stuff. I'd buy two bottles of the regular and a bottle of lime essential oil. That way you can spike it to your liking.

Please let me know how you like the Lime - I haven't tried that version!

It's a shame you made such a comparison. I love egg nog. Interesting how arbitrary things can play a significant role in the positive or negative perception of a scent.

Look at the bright side, more Dominica for me.

I don't have the original, but I have a sample of the Dominica w/lime. Straight form the bottle, I don't smell much lime so I was able to compare them a bit. There is a similarity. In fact, there was a scent note in the St Thomas that I couldn't place, but after smelling the same note in Dominica, I figured it out.... egg nog. The spices in these bay rums remind me of egg nog. And now that I've made that realization, my opinion has dropped. I don't like Ogallala because it smells like egg nog (but Ogallala is much stronger in that note).

This from the shop I buy AS from here in Germany. (Since it can't be mailed from the States) so I'm out of luck.

Momentan komplett vergriffen, der Produzent kann wegen der Ernteausfälle 2014 und der monumentalen Zerstörungen der Insel Dominica durch Tropensturm "Erika" Ende 2015 langfristig nicht liefern (Details imNassRasur.com-Forum) Bitte beachten Sie als Alternative unsere anderen Bay-Rum-Varianten (von Meißner, Pinaud und Lustray, siehe unten).

Google Says:
Currently completely out of production, the producer, because of crop failures in 2014 and the monumental destruction of Dominica by tropical storm "Erika" the end of 2015 in the long term do not deliver (details in NassRasur.com forum) Please note as an alternative our other Bay Rum variants ( by Meissner, Pinaud and Lustray, see below).

Congratulations and welcome to the fold! It's been getting hard to find (though I have a spare bottle so I'm not too worried), but where did you purchase yours?

Bought a bunch of samples from Maggard. Ogallala Limes & Peppercorns is my current favorite.

The Ogallala Bay Rums seem to get overlooked with all of the shiny newer options now available, but their stuff remains top notch in my book, and the Limes & Peppercorns is my favorite lime AS, hands down. Just great stuff.

The Ogallala Bay Rums seem to get overlooked with all of the shiny newer options now available, but their stuff remains top notch in my book, and the Limes & Peppercorns is my favorite lime AS, hands down. Just great stuff.
The only Ogallala BR that I have is their BR and Sandalwood. I like it (and so does the LOTH), but...it is NOT what I would consider a "bay rum." It doesn't have the bay rum warmth/burn (despite the WARNING to shake it vigorously to mix well), and I can detect NO bay rum in the fragrance...very "vanilla-y" IMHO.

They call this a "cowboy" bay rum...not sure what that means. To me, bay rum should inspire visions of Caribbean beaches and cold adult beverages...no warm beaches in Nebraska...:001_rolle

They call this a "cowboy" bay rum...not sure what that means. To me, bay rum should inspire visions of Caribbean beaches and cold adult beverages...no warm beaches in Nebraska...:001_rolle

I've never understood the cowboy tie-in, either. Pirating a statement from a great comedian and speaker, Pat Buttram:

"Ogallala Nebraska is to bay rum what Orson Welles is to pole vaulting."

Props to the owner for his customer service, though. A gold standard.

Don

The only Ogallala BR that I have is their BR and Sandalwood. I like it (and so does the LOTH), but...it is NOT what I would consider a "bay rum." It doesn't have the bay rum warmth/burn (despite the WARNING to shake it vigorously to mix well), and I can detect NO bay rum in the fragrance...very "vanilla-y" IMHO.

True...they should just call it Vanilla and Sandalwood...and then bay rum fans would probably love it since they would not compare it to their favorite bay rum aftershaves.

Same thing with the Limes & Peppercorns AS -- it does not smell like bay rum at all. But I do think that it actually smells better than bay rum...and it lasts longer than any of the bay rums I've tried (except for the other Ogallala "bay rums").

I have tried a lot of Bay Rum but tend to favor the more straight forward variety

I really like Master Bay Rum. Nice glycerin content makes it real soothing

I also really like Layrite No9. A straight bay rum with just a little hint of vanilla

I'm not much for bay rum mixed in with potpourri

Bay Rum, while originating in the West Indies, first became fashionable (according to Wikipedia) in New York City and other American cities before spreading to Europe. Without a ton of available options, I suspect that Bay Rum was fairly common in barbershops of the old west as well, including Ogallala. I don't know that for a fact, but it's not hard to imagine.

Derby City Chop Shop Shave Tonic

Not my pic...credit goes to Ben in Australia.

proxy.php

I have lucky tiger and some other clove heavy number... Wasn't living them separately....tipped them togeather and bam! Not too shabby now

Top Bottom