What's new

Which is the most mild and gentle Razorock razor?

Thanks for all the responses. As I've stated in other threads, I've thrown in the towel on DE shaving many times, but I still remain curious, and I really don't know why. My DE89 absolutely tears my neck apart and leaves painful welts all over it, yet somehow doesn't shave either. My Feather Popular causes irritation and doesn't give me a close shave at all. When I see the above comments about the RR Mamba, I'm curious, yet still think it will be a similar experience to my previous efforts. Still, I wonder if I just need a different razor.

For comparison's sake, I find a cheap Gillette Good News disposable to be the best all around razor I've ever used....no joke. What DE would be comparable to that?

If i may be so bold as to make a couple of alternative suggestions.

I'm like you in that i prefer mild razors. I have many vintage and some modern razors. My favorite DE razor is the Razorock GC 68.

However since you mentioned Gillette Good News disposable i will say if i was told i could only shave with one razor for the rest of my life i would pick the classic all metal Gillette Sensor with twin blade non lube cartridges. The easiest, nick and irritation free shaves i have had in the last 10 years. I have a dozen of these metal razors in storage and lifetime supply of vintage cartridges.

A fantastic middle ground is the Schick Injector L, M or N series. These can be bought for under $30 or even under $20 on the auction site and you can buy the Made in China Injector Blades on Amazon for a great price. Injectors are a wonderful middle ground between DE and Carts and the L, M and N series are very mild.

Dont be pressured to keep using DE if you're not getting the results you want.

I highly recommend buying a cheap L/M/N series schick injector and a pack of blades.

If i may be so bold as to make a couple of alternative suggestions.

I'm like you in that i prefer mild razors. I have many vintage and some modern razors. My favorite DE razor is the Razorock GC 68.

However since you mentioned Gillette Good News disposable i will say if i was told i could only shave with one razor for the rest of my life i would pick the classic all metal Gillette Sensor with twin blade non lube cartridges. The easiest, nick and irritation free shaves i have had in the last 10 years. I have a dozen of these metal razors in storage and lifetime supply of vintage cartridges.

A fantastic middle ground is the Schick Injector L, M or N series. These can be bought for under $30 or even under $20 on the auction site and you can buy the Made in China Injector Blades on Amazon for a great price. Injectors are a wonderful middle ground between DE and Carts and the L, M and N series are very mild.

Dont be pressured to keep using DE if you're not getting the results you want.

I highly recommend buying a cheap L/M/N series schick injector and a pack of blades.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. A lot of people think Gillette really got it right with their twin blade designs.

I've seen videos of the Schick Injectors and they really don't appeal to me, but thanks for the advice. I am planning on using my DE's again in the next bit and seeing if anything has changed. I bought some preshave a little while ago and I'll see if that makes any difference. I would like to get off of the Gillette teet so to speak, but sometimes you just have to go with what works.

If the RR Mamba or Feather AS-D2 were less money I would try them in a heartbeat, but it's just hard to justify spending money on something with a high probability of failure.

Thanks for all the responses. As I've stated in other threads, I've thrown in the towel on DE shaving many times, but I still remain curious, and I really don't know why. My DE89 absolutely tears my neck apart and leaves painful welts all over it, yet somehow doesn't shave either. My Feather Popular causes irritation and doesn't give me a close shave at all. When I see the above comments about the RR Mamba, I'm curious, yet still think it will be a similar experience to my previous efforts. Still, I wonder if I just need a different razor.

For comparison's sake, I find a cheap Gillette Good News disposable to be the best all around razor I've ever used....no joke. What DE would be comparable to that?

Don't spread it around, but I actually like the standard single blade Bic disposables...

The advantage of a super mild DE like the Mamba, BBS, or much cheaper SLOC and Merkur 15c is that you get a razor that doesn't generate a continual waste stream of discarded plastic, which allows you to experiment with blade selection independently of the handle (which is impossible with cartridges or disposables), while giving most users as mild/safe a shave as a modern multi-blade unit, usually with *less* irritation...

I'm sure that you've heard this before, but prep, correct angle and a light touch are usually the ingredients required for a "good" DE shave... Getting poor closeness *and* a scraped feeling is often an angle or issue, but could also be caused by a soap that isn't slick enough, blades/razor that just don't work with your face, or whiskers that haven't been softened by a hot soak or shower before the shave.

I originally learned on a DE back in the 1980s, but still had a weeks-long period of harsh shaves as I un-learned all my bad habits acquired from years of cartridge shaving.

Don't spread it around, but I actually like the standard single blade Bic disposables...

The advantage of a super mild DE like the Mamba, BBS, or much cheaper SLOC and Merkur 15c is that you get a razor that doesn't generate a continual waste stream of discarded plastic, which allows you to experiment with blade selection independently of the handle (which is impossible with cartridges or disposables), while giving most users as mild/safe a shave as a modern multi-blade unit, usually with *less* irritation...

I'm sure that you've heard this before, but prep, correct angle and a light touch are usually the ingredients required for a "good" DE shave... Getting poor closeness *and* a scraped feeling is often an angle or issue, but could also be caused by a soap that isn't slick enough, blades/razor that just don't work with your face, or whiskers that haven't been softened by a hot soak or shower before the shave.

I originally learned on a DE back in the 1980s, but still had a weeks-long period of harsh shaves as I un-learned all my bad habits acquired from years of cartridge shaving.

Thanks for the input. I actually had an ok shave on my neck (bearded for almost one year now) with my Ediwn Jagger the other day. I used an extremely shallow angle and was able to get BBS. I did have a lot of irritation and several little cuts around my Adam's apple, but getting BBS is a milestone for me after several years of failed DE attempts.

The top cap was almost flat against my skin, and I couldn't even feel the blade, but it was still cutting.

We'll see what the future holds moving forward.

Thanks for the input. I actually had an ok shave on my neck (bearded for almost one year now) with my Ediwn Jagger the other day. I used an extremely shallow angle and was able to get BBS. I did have a lot of irritation and several little cuts around my Adam's apple, but getting BBS is a milestone for me after several years of failed DE attempts.

The top cap was almost flat against my skin, and I couldn't even feel the blade, but it was still cutting.

We'll see what the future holds moving forward.

That's great!

Honestly, I'd suggest getting a RazoRock SLOC to supplement your EJ/Muhle, that head straddles the line between mild and moderately aggressive, so it can give great irritation free shaves, once you have the feel of it, but can also give you some burn if the angle is wrong or pressure is too high. You'll have to really press hard to get that scraped feeling from the SLOC. Plus they're so cheap that if you hate it you won't even be out $25 (and that's taking the S&H in to account). The Merkur OC head is pretty similar, but double the price and other cheap OC heads can be iffy quality and vary from uselessly mild to fairly harsh...

Another thing I'd suggest is to aim for a SAS until that becomes part of your muscle memory, *then* work your way up to DFS or closer... trying for the closest shave right off the bat is a recipe for disappointment.

The RR MJ90A was to mild for me so handed down to my youngest son. If i recall it is patterned off of a EJ razor i believe

Have you tried the gillette guard? Mild, cheap, and easy. It's not a DE and it doesnt look cool but it gets the job done.

Make sure to map your beard and go with the grain as much as possible on the first pass. And I agree with the earlier poster who recommended being happy with SAS for a while until you get better at it.

That's great!

Honestly, I'd suggest getting a RazoRock SLOC to supplement your EJ/Muhle, that head straddles the line between mild and moderately aggressive, so it can give great irritation free shaves, once you have the feel of it, but can also give you some burn if the angle is wrong or pressure is too high. You'll have to really press hard to get that scraped feeling from the SLOC. Plus they're so cheap that if you hate it you won't even be out $25 (and that's taking the S&H in to account). The Merkur OC head is pretty similar, but double the price and other cheap OC heads can be iffy quality and vary from uselessly mild to fairly harsh...

Another thing I'd suggest is to aim for a SAS until that becomes part of your muscle memory, *then* work your way up to DFS or closer... trying for the closest shave right off the bat is a recipe for disappointment.

Thanks! What does SAS stand for again?

Socially Acceptable Shave

I'm not sure there's a full consensus on what constitutes a SAS, but in my book it implies a shave that leaves you looking clean shaven, but that you could find areas with minor residual stubble if you feel around your face. For most guys a BBS or DFS degrades to SAS by late afternoon or evening.

I’d say the Razorock Mission or the MJ90 with the standard (non aggressive) plate. Both very mild razors, too mild for my own good though. Great for thin hair, but I use the A plate on the MJ90 for my beard. Works wonders

Thanks! What does SAS stand for again?
Socially Acceptable Shave

I'm not sure there's a full consensus on what constitutes a SAS, but in my book it implies a shave that leaves you looking clean shaven, but that you could find areas with minor residual stubble if you feel around your face. For most guys a BBS or DFS degrades to SAS by late afternoon or evening.
Check out the B&B ShaveWIKI Abbreviations (and Acronyms) page. :wink2:

Top Bottom