What's new

Which is the best SR for beginner?

I always recommend a beginner a good second hand razor. You'll got superior stuff for your money, if you don't like it you could easily sell it for the same price, if the vendor says shave ready in most cases they are shave ready. Just have a look in the Buy-Sell-Trade section in this forum, there are always good SRs in your price range. 5/8 razors are the most common beginner razors. The best grind depends on the thickness of your whiskers. The thicker the more wedge to say so. Thick hair - take a near wedge, thin hair - take a hollow ground. The safest headform ist the round tip to begin with.

BTW the Gold Dollars are actual good SRs if their flaws are repaired, the initial grind is often terrible and the scales and rivets are rubbish, but the blade itself is made from a very good steel. If you have a properly honed Gold Dollar you'll probably not find something better fresh from the factory in your estimated price range. A substantial better razor than a good tuned Gold Dollar begins IMHO at 300 USD +.

I have just accepted your suggestion and choosed a japanese razor. It looks strange,I hope it works.

Attachments

• razor.jpg
    razor.jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 26
Well, you are not a beginner anymore, aren't you? 😁

If you want a truly shave-ready, artisan is your way, so get a Koraat or Ralf Aust. These two are SUPERB and come with a level of customer service many big brands will envy.

My 0.02$

Well, you are not a beginner anymore, aren't you? 😁

If you want a truly shave-ready, artisan is your way, so get a Koraat or Ralf Aust. These two are SUPERB and come with a level of customer service many big brands will envy.

My 0.02$
Wow, koraat looks nice :laugh:

For your second razor, if you have another budget of 150ish, I think it would be pretty tough to beat a standard 6/8 Ralf Aust with the standard plastic scales. New they are 140ish, and used would probably be slightly less.

I picked this one up last week...and it’s a really really nice 6/8 razor!

Vr

Matt

8834F234-885A-4109-B3BC-BF33E11EC694.jpeg
99F61D8D-9CF1-4B1B-BF34-83E3D1FF4547.jpeg
58F063EC-1A1D-4E78-AD5B-B9BD7B207AD6.jpeg

As always when this question comes up there seems to be a general (but not total) consensus that Aust is the way to go. As always Koraat is mentioned. Koraat are extremely fine razors, but the price is high especially for a first razor. It's a bit like deciding to get a new top of the line Mercedes Benz to learn how to drive in. To continue the analogy: Ralf Aust razors are well made, durable, easy to shave with and would be a perfect choice as a first and only car... I mean razor. If you after some time feel that you're really into straight razors and you want something really special, and your budget allows it, Koraat razors are grand. of course this is only my opinion as the owner of three Aust razors and two Koraat razors and...a few other razors.:innocent:

I've noticed that this type of question gets asked frequently in all hobbies such as "What is the best guitar for a beginner" or "What is the best rock climbing shoe for a beginner", etc.

To me the answer is more or less the same for all of them. There is no/little distinction between a beginner and anyone else in terms of the hardware, especially in shaving. I guess you could say that a rounded end is better for a beginner but that's what I prefer as well so I don't think there really is a "beginner" razor or a beginner car or a beginner spoon and fork.

I've noticed that this type of question gets asked frequently in all hobbies such as "What is the best guitar for a beginner" or "What is the best rock climbing shoe for a beginner", etc.

To me the answer is more or less the same for all of them. There is no/little distinction between a beginner and anyone else in terms of the hardware, especially in shaving. I guess you could say that a rounded end is better for a beginner but that's what I prefer as well so I don't think there really is a "beginner" razor or a beginner car or a beginner spoon and fork.
I find that the advice to start with a razor that has a round point is a really good point. 👍Nicking ones earlobes, lips or nostrils is an experience a beginner can do without.

I was completely new about 2 months ago and ended up with a Ralf Aust 6/8 Round tip. Now that I am a few shaves in I am very happy that this forum pointed me towards the Aust. It looks and feels great. Word of advice, do not rinse your blade under the faucet, you might smash your blade into the faucet and have a weeks old Ralf Aust with a banged up blade... Anyone know a honemeister in the Detroit area...

I was completely new about 2 months ago and ended up with a Ralf Aust 6/8 Round tip. Now that I am a few shaves in I am very happy that this forum pointed me towards the Aust. It looks and feels great. Word of advice, do not rinse your blade under the faucet, you might smash your blade into the faucet and have a weeks old Ralf Aust with a banged up blade... Anyone know a honemeister in the Detroit area...
Brad Maggard at Maggards Razor’s in Adrian,Michigan. That’s not too far from you.

you have Maggards in Adrian, Michigan.

I had two blades honed by Brad (owner) in my beginnings. sharp blades......not balsa sharp but sharp.

camo

Top Bottom