What's new

Which is the Best of 26mm 2-Band Badger Knots Out of...

If you had a choice of 26mm Finest Badger knots would you go for Virginia Sheng, Ace, Yaqi, Maggard, Franks, Maseto, or TGN?

Maggard 26mm 2 band. It is so densely packed!

2018-04-23 09.13.12.jpg

The one on the left:
2018-05-20 08.31.36.jpg

Maggard 26mm 2 band. It is so densely packed!

View attachment 897887

The one on the left:
View attachment 897888

@ShavePastor,

Can you please give an explanation between the Maseto 30mm and the Maggard 26mm brush that you have? I think you have a 2band by them.

Maseto goes up to 70 usd for me. The Maggard 28mm goes 36 usd without a handle which adds the costs due to the shipping costs. I am considering between this two options so any feedback will be valuable.

Thank you!

@ShavePastor,

Can you please give an explanation between the Maseto 30mm and the Maggard 26mm brush that you have? I think you have a 2band by them.

Maseto goes up to 70 usd for me. The Maggard 28mm goes 36 usd without a handle which adds the costs due to the shipping costs. I am considering between this two options so any feedback will be valuable.

Thank you!

The 30mm Maseto Silvertip Fan is obviously denser, but it's also softer with less scrub & backbone than the 26mm Maggard 2 band.

I personally like the Maseto better in nearly every aspect.

The 30mm Maseto Silvertip Fan is obviously denser, but it's also softer with less scrub & backbone than the 26mm Maggard 2 band.

I personally like the Maseto better in nearly every aspect.
Thank you! Final question as I never have tried a silvertip. Is that MS silvertip good for hard soaps ?

Thank you! Final question as I never have tried a silvertip. Is that MS silvertip good for hard soaps ?
Yes sir, this Maseto can handle the softest cream to hardest triple milled soaps out there. At first it does sort of hog the lather but after a month or so it breaks in nicely & you really figure how to use it to its maximum potential. It is a great brush for the money!

Yes sir, this Maseto can handle the softest cream to hardest triple milled soaps out there. At first it does sort of hog the lather but after a month or so it breaks in nicely & you really figure how to use it to its maximum potential. It is a great brush for the money!

Thank you again! I have read most people prefer the 2 band by Maseto and I was considering the 2 band version. Your positive comments on Silvertip made me think again. :) a bit tough finding the best without trying it first. :)
Blessings.

Thank you again! I have read most people prefer the 2 band by Maseto and I was considering the 2 band version. Your positive comments on Silvertip made me think again. :) a bit tough finding the best without trying it first. :)
Blessings.

Just for the record, I haven't tried the Maseto 2 band. I personally like a little less backbone in a brush so I prefer Silvertip over 2 band.

Maggards.

It's the best balance of price, density, face feel, and quality.

Anything else is either too soft or too inconsistent to give an accurate review to explain. Variation of hair quality and knot construction plaque TGN and FS. Maseto is nice, but I personally feel that the construction is less than ideal for long term use. It's also a bit soft and limited to the loft you can set it at. It's also expensive in comparison.

If I were making a 26mm brush to end all brushes today, I would either buy the Maggards or a Shavemac D01 Silvertip.

Frank's is nice for the money buy pretty inconsistent. Either overly treated with yucky almost slimy gel tips or stiff and pokey and unremarkable.

Maggards ships from Michigan and you would have it very soon to evaluate. Use silicone and give yourself some options for changing out the knot entirely or adjusting the loft at a later date.

You can also consider a boar brush knot. I have transferred the 49 Omega Pro knot into other handles with great results. It takes a little more prep work and finageling, but well worth it at the end in my opinion.

Bob Quinn and his premium knots are about the best all around knots available currently. Go that route and rest easy knowing that you are good regardless of the other options or the conditions you'll be using the brush in.

Money is a big consideration. For what it's worth, I feel like Elite razors knots are an excellent value for the quality you receive. Well sorted hair with above average backbone, excellent lather and water flow through, and very good face feel at the tips. Density is above average and the sorting is always better than average. No stray black hairs in the crown of the knot and no prickly bits mixed into the top of the knots either.

Maggards for all around value and consistently.
Elite Razors Manchurian or Shavemac D01 Silvertip for the "money isn't a consideration" option.

Regardless, I think your personal preferences and the loft you settle in with will have as much if not more of an impact on the feel of the brush as where you buy it from.

Use silicone adhesive first so you can adjust if needed. Epoxy is a lot harder to adjust later on down the road.

Just enjoy your shave and whatever you choose, give it a good time to decide before jumping to conclusions. A brush and the shaver himself need time to aquant with each other.

There's a tool and there's the person yeilding the tool. Often I believe many products are deemed unsatisfactory prematurely due to impatience or something like that. Us it. Get to know it. Appreciate it for what it is and isn't.

I don't have a Maseto, but I now own both a Frank's 2-band Badger and a Maggard 2-band badger and both are equally my favorites. They are both awesome IMO. Personally, unless I found an extremely good deal I have no interest in owning a silver-tip if I was more well off that would be a different story. As always YMMV!

Lastly, as I've read here and elsewhere there is no such thing as best as in best for everyone. Everyone simply has to find their own preferences and what they consider best for themselves. I also love my Semogue Owner's Club Boar brush and I recently purchased an Omega Boar which so far I'm not enjoying nearly as much as I do the Semogue. The Semogue has more backbone than the Omega and the more brushes I try the more I find I like bit of backbone in my brushes.

However, I may be different than a lot of folks as I feel spoiled with all the brushes mentioned above. I also own a couple highly recommended synthetic brushes and the best compliment I can give them is I don't hate them. Meaning I would much prefer they were a boar or a 2-band badger. However, I know folks that have the same synthetic brushes that I do that wouldn't use anything else even though they have owned Silver Tip and more expensive brushes.

I have set four Maggard two band knots, a 24 mm and three 26 mm. The 24 mm is very comparable with a Whipped Dog 24 mm High Mountain which is saying a lot, but the 26 mm rises to a whole new level. It is very high on my list of the favorite Two Band / Finest / High Mountain type knots I own. It is firm like you expect a great Finest to be but it is also silky smooth in every respect. I like it MUCH more than a Meseto I have with the same handle. It is MUCH loftier and also feels much nicer in use.

Silvertip is a completely different story and is still my addiction but a Maggard 26 mm Two Band nearly approaches the overall luxury of a Silvertip. Nearly, but not quite.

Roughly how much is shipping from the US to you?

I have a 28 mm ACE Finest in a TGN black handle that needs another home. Pay the shipping and its yours.

I've been following this thread and was curious is anybody had tried Envy Shave's White Supreme 2-band? It's a little more expensive than Maggard's and nearly as expensive as Elite Razor's.

I've been following this thread and was curious is anybody had tried Envy Shave's White Supreme 2-band? It's a little more expensive than Maggard's and nearly as expensive as Elite Razor's.

Thanks for asking this as this is the first mention I've read about this knot and I'm interested in the answer to this also.

Top Bottom