What's new

Which is the best inexpensive shavette and why?

I have a Parker SR1 that shaves alright.

$ParkerSR1.jpg

It's fun, but the results are never as smooth as with my DE. Just how different are the other shavettes? I'm especially curious to know if the different Parker models shave any differently. And I know Feather AC is supposed to be the best, but I'm wondering more about the ones under the $40 price range. :001_smile

I have 3 models of the Parker's, and they all shave about the same. My favorite is the SRW. I've tried several of the other makes, and the Dovo is quite expensive and IMHO isn't worth anything. The blade holder is flimsy plastic where the Parker is solid stainless steel. For the price I don't think you can top the Parkers.

Of course the Feathers and the Kai's are top of the line, and are much better straights. I only use disposable blade straights, but as I've mentioned the Parker's are very good.

The parker seems like a better investment. The Dovo is not as close to shaving with a straight as using a Parker. The Parker is made of more durable material.

The Parker is top of the heap for cheap shavettes. I really enjoyed mine.

You could trim down a Feather AC blade (about an 1/8" either end with tin snips) and use that in your Parker if you want to take it up a notch in performance.

The Feathers/KAI replaceable blade straights are a major step up in workmanship and quality. Really awesome, but the blade is what makes the shave, so you can experience a "Feather" shave if you jury rig your Parker as per above.

Traditional straights are a different ballgame, and are excellent if you want to screw around with honing, etc (which really is alot of fun to dial in an edge you really like)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's all in the technique my friend..I hate to break it to you :). However the Parker has a light head so it is a little more difficult for newer users to use...a feather is much more balanced, but the blades are so sharp you will remove ears from head without realizing. Traditional straights tend to be duller, so they cut up your face less, but the duller edge requires much more technique to use...IMHO of course YMMV greatly.

I found that with a bit of practice (took me about a week with the same kind of Parker you showed above) I was able to get shaves as close as I could with a DE. Didn't stop me from moving on to a Feather non-folding and a folding Kai Captain though!

Top Bottom