What's new

Which is the 1949 SS case?

I just scored two Super Speeds, 40's style, with no dates. I know they're 48 to 50, but I've heard that the 1949 SS came in a red bottom case. Both of these SS are in such a case, but in one the razor lies flat. In the other, there's a little ridge which makes the razor lie at a slight angle. Which one is the 1949 case? This is my birth year, so this is really important to me. Thanks.

Have you seen this link from Mr. Razor? It looks like what you're looking for.

Lungho, thanks for the link. After some searching on Mr. Razor's site, I've determined that the unnotched case contains a 1949-1950 razor, the notched case contains a 1951. One other difference on the razors themselves is that on the top side of the head, underneatht the barn doors, the 49-50 razor says
"pat nos on" on the left of the post, and "package" on the right. On the 51 razor it says "pat nos" to the left of the post, and "on pkg" to the right.

I wish there were some way to pin the one razor down to the year 1949, but this is as far as I can take it at this point. But I've learned a little more Gillette lore, so it's been fun. Thanks for the help!By the way, if anybody has a cream colored speed pack they'd be willing to part with I'd sure like to get one to complete my set.

Last edited:
One other difference on the razors themselves is that on the top side of the head, underneatht the barn doors, the 49-50 razor says
"pat nos on" on the left of the post, and "package" on the right. On the 51 razor it says "pat nos" to the left of the post, and "on pkg" to the right.

It's difficult to to go by the "on pkg" stamp during the transition years. My 1950 V3 prototype also says "pat nos" and "on pkg". That's why I said it could be a late 1950 model.

Len

It's difficult to to go by the "on pkg" stamp during the transition years. My 1950 V3 prototype also says "pat nos" and "on pkg". That's why I said it could be a late 1950 model.

Len

right ... and it gives the undated SS with ... on pkg. I think he is from 1950 too.

proxy.php

Len

Oldguy, when you say late 1950s, how late do you mean? Am I correct that this 40s style was made up until 1954?

Oldguy, when you say late 1950s, how late do you mean? Am I correct that this 40s style was made up until 1954?

Rick,
I said late 1950. Not 1950's.

Yes the 40's style was made up to 1954. But 1954 was an interesting year.

The 40's style was made in the 1st qtr of 1954 as was the flair tip (Z1).
The flair tip was made in the 2nd and 3rd qtr of 1954 (Z2 and Z3).
The old type was also made in the 3rd and 4th qtr (Z3 and Z4) as the TV special. I have not seen a Z4 1954 flair tip but I believe they were made then as well.
From 1955 on all SS are flair tips.

Len

Last edited:
Lungho, thanks for the link. After some searching on Mr. Razor's site, I've determined that the unnotched case contains a 1949-1950 razor, the notched case contains a 1951. One other difference on the razors themselves is that on the top side of the head, underneatht the barn doors, the 49-50 razor says

I wish there were some way to pin the one razor down to the year 1949, but this is as far as I can take it at this point. But I've learned a little more Gillette lore, so it's been fun. Thanks for the help!By the way, if anybody has a cream colored speed pack they'd be willing to part with I'd sure like to get one to complete my set.

What does the head look like around the center hole? Is it flat and smooth or is there a raised rib around the hole?

Rick,
I said late 1950. Not 1950's.

Len

Len, Sorry for misreading your post. I must admit I have an unreasonable fondness for the 40s style Super Speeds. I like learning about all Gillette razors (up until they stopped making double-edged razors) but I'm becoming a bit of a fanatic about 40s super speeds, so thanks again for your input. And I'm really curious as to what Tom can tell me based on the raised ridge around the post.

Len, Sorry for misreading your post. I must admit I have an unreasonable fondness for the 40s style Super Speeds. I like learning about all Gillette razors (up until they stopped making double-edged razors) but I'm becoming a bit of a fanatic about 40s super speeds, so thanks again for your input. And I'm really curious as to what Tom can tell me based on the raised ridge around the post.

Rick,
I find it's a wonderful hobby and pastime. I have spent months collecting every Super Speed I could from 1947 into the 1970's. That means every year (not every qtr.) with the correct cases. That meant looking for nos sets of the 40's style in order to verify the correct razor for the correct case and correct blades. That also means the specials like the '50 V3, the '54 and '58 TV specials and the red, blue and black tips. In all I have 32 Super Speeds. Some I shave with, some are extra that I had to buy to get the right case. One of these days I need to sell some that are not part of my permanent collection. Ask any question you like. A few of us here have put in the time to find the answers. A lot of credit goes to Achim and Guido. Thanks guys.

Len

Didn't the 49 SS also come in a cardboard box with a printed advertisement on the inside of the lid? Seems to me I saw some of them for sale somewhere. BC

Didn't the 49 SS also come in a cardboard box with a printed advertisement on the inside of the lid? Seems to me I saw some of them for sale somewhere. BC

I think I've seen the same thing also. It might be hard to verify if the ad on the box is the same as on the 1948 version. It would need the '49 date code on the blades. It's hard to find those boxed sets nos.

Len

Tom,
There's a raised rib around the hole.

Sorry no great revelations Rick.

The two photos here are from another post here on B&B by achim aka mr-razor.
From 1948 - 1950 (Pre date code) the only notable changes for the
Super Speed head can be seen in these two photos.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did find one razor tucked away that suggests that the first change was the ribbed ring around the hole then as old stock was depleted, then the plates marked with "PAT NOS ON PKG" were phased in.

But either way since your razor has both changes, this supports the idea that your's is the later model.

***edit: Just reread your earlier post. If your razor reads 'PACKAGE'....Maybe your razor is on the cusp???***

Last edited:
Sorry no great revelations Rick.

The two photos here are from another post here on B&B by achim aka mr-razor.
From 1948 - 1950 (Pre date code) the only notable changes for the
Super Speed head can be seen in these two photos.

I did find one razor tucked away that suggests that the first change was the ribbed ring around the hole then as old stock was depleted, then the plates marked with "PAT NOS ON PKG" were phased in.

But either way since your razor has both changes, this supports the idea that your's is the later model.

Tom,
I don't find that is a reliable way to date the early '40's Super Speeds. I have four razors with the full wording "package". Three of the four have the ring and only one is flat.

Forgot to mention. My three 1947 SS's are flat and say "package"

Len

Last edited:
Tom,
I don't find that is a reliable way to date the early '40's Super Speeds. I have four razors with the full wording "package". Three of the four have the ring and only one is flat.

Len

You are right about trying to pin a date down.....but I think it suggests that the razor was made near the transition from one head type to another. Len please note that I do not state any of this as fact....just theory.

Also I did not read the earlier post correctly about "PACKAGE" being on the razor and edited my post.:blushing:

Tom,
There is so much about all the old Gillette's that is theory. You're right. But it sure is fun to discuss.

Len

Well, as my case is unnotched, and the razor has the whole word "package" as well as the raised ring around the post, am I right that there's a decent possibility that it could be a 1949? I sure hope so. This is the nicest 40s style SS I've ever held in my hands and I love shaving with it, but it would be oh so sweet if it was a birth-year razor.

Many thanks to everyone. This has been a real furtherance of my education.

Top Bottom