What's new

Which is the 1949 SS case?

Rick,

I do not think anyone can say with complete certainty. The head plate is like one used in 48-49 and the handle attachment method is like the 50's model. The exact date for that change in mounting the handle took place is not known to me.....

Unfortunately, during this time period date codes were not used.

Well, as my case is unnotched, and the razor has the whole word "package" as well as the raised ring around the post, am I right that there's a decent possibility that it could be a 1949? I sure hope so. This is the nicest 40s style SS I've ever held in my hands and I love shaving with it, but it would be oh so sweet if it was a birth-year razor.

Many thanks to everyone. This has been a real furtherance of my education.

Yes Rick. It very well could be a 1949 model. And I'd bet that it is. Enjoy your birth year razor.

Len

I think I've seen the same thing also. It might be hard to verify if the ad on the box is the same as on the 1948 version. It would need the '49 date code on the blades. It's hard to find those boxed sets nos.

Len
The only thing I have noticed is that the advertising on the box lid for the 48 uses the term ZIP for the new style notched center bar which was new that year. I have seen other box lids that simply describe the blade being loaded by hand which I guess would be the earler 47 model with the un-notched bar. My 47 came in a leather box but I used the wording on the box lid to date my 48 SS, (suggested by Achim). I guess the 49 really was the first year for the red plastic case according to the Krumholtz book.

Top Bottom