What's new

Which is RazoRock's mildest Stainless Steel DE head? And other questions, please

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My dear friends, I have my eyes on RazoRock's 316L Stainless Steel DE razors and need your help. I desire the mildest SS head, combined with the Vintage THICK Bar (pic attached).

razorock-vintage-thick-razor-handle_1024x1024.jpg

Here below are my questions (please answer only if you have vast knowledge on what is asked, thanks!):

1. As briefly asked above, I desire RazoRock's mildest Stainless Steel DE head. In other words, I desire a SS head that shaves like a vintage post-war Tech or a modern "89 Series" razor (Muhle R89, Edwin Jagger DE89, Gillette Heritage Inspired).

2. This extremely mild head must perfectly fit in the Vintage THICK Bar attached above, which is my handle of choice. By the way, do all RazoRock's heads fit in all RazoRock's handles? Are the threads "universal" in their entire line-up?

3. What can be said about the finish on RazoRock's Stainless Steel razors? On their web site they declare that their SS heads and handles are "milled and finished to a tool grade and may have small machining and finishing marks. If you are expecting a perfect finish this may not be the head and handle for you". So, is the overall finish good, excellent or should I expect visible blemishes?

Thank you wholeheartedly,

Marco

Last edited:
Marco, as for the finishes I find them to be of quality and I’ve been impressed every time I’ve removed one from its packaging. Are they as nice as something like a Wolfman? Probably not but as you know, the price difference is more than substantial.
As for your other questions I’m afraid I can’t answer with certainty so I will refrain. Good luck with your decision making process.
Cheers!

Marco, according to Italian barber all their razors use the M5x8 thread and are interchangeable. I own two of their stainless steel razors G.C. 84P and Lupo .95 and the finish on both is excellent. Both of these are more aggressive than you are looking for but Razorock are quality razors that far exceed their price point. I’ve no experience of the BBS or Mamba but I’m sure someone will be along to enlighten you. Good luck in your search sir.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have had dozens of Razorock heads and handles and all have fit every combination I have tried. The mildest for me has been the Mamba 53, followed by the Mamba 70. Silly mild. I could do 5 passes with those razors and not get an adequate shave. The Game Changer 68 is crazy mild too. I have to go up to the GC 84p before I can get a decent shave. I get great shaves with the DE89 and R89 razors, so that should give you some relative reference. I think the GC 84p is closest to an 89 shave wise, but more refined… and stainless of course. The BBS razor is also quite mild and forgiving. But overall, I like the GC 84p the most out of all those RR razors. And despite the fact that you load the blade onto the baseplate, the GC 84 is the most traditional out of the bunch from a shaving feel perspective. I hope that helps.

I have the Mamba 70 S&D (scratch and dent) and it looks as good/smooth as my chromed razors but the color is closer to my nickel plated fatip. Comparing to the R89 head, the Mamba 70 is a bit milder but much more efficient for me. I get a closer and safer shave with the Mamba than the Razorock DE1. The mildness and smoothness of the Mamba is similar to the Lord L6, but much more efficient. I don't have any other steel razors or vintage gillettes to compare to, but hopefully I provided some useful information.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Marco - the Gamechanger 0.68p with safety bar is probably the razor that will meet your request. I use their standard BBS razor; which will fit the handle you’ve shown; but it can sometimes be more aggressive than expected. The finish on both the BBS and Hawk V3OC I use is very smooth and reflective without being a true mirror finish.

I use mild razors only (Merkur 42C, Muhle 89, Gillette Tech and now only SS razor as GC 68 and Start 0.69/0.90), so I'd tell you to get the Game Changer 68. I have the GC 68, the Mamba 70 and I tried the GC 84 also.
The GC 68 is the mildest and smoothest on my skin, I use it as a daily driver, I have a medium beard and normal skin. I find that the angle of use is similar to Gillette Tech, or at least I use it that way. It is very versatile, it works with any blade and with the very sharp ones I take away even a week's beard. The finishes are excellent in my opinion.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, 2 out of 3 of my questions have already been answered as I wanted! There is a general consensus on:

- RazoRock using M5x8 threads on all their razors. Basically, this means that you can virtually match any head with any handle, according to your own tastes. :thumbup1:

- RazoRock using high quality 316L Stainless Steel with excellent overall finish on both heads and handles. :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The last question on which head is most similar - shave wise - to an "89 Series" has opened (as I expected) a bit of divergence of opinions. However, most of you are pointing me towards the Game Changer 68P. Therefore, unless there will be a drastic change of route in the next following answers, this is at the moment the most likely candidate head to buy.

Just to be sure, is the Game Changer 68P you are all talking about the razor placed at n.6 in this chart here RazoRock Razor Scale - #1 is the Mildest and #34 is the Most Aggressiv – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/pages/razorock-razor-scale and called GC 68 Safety Bar?

The last question on which head is most similar - shave wise - to an "89 Series" has opened (as I expected) a bit of divergence of opinions. However, most of you are pointing me towards the Game Changer 68P. Therefore, unless there will be a drastic change of route in the next following answers, this is at the moment the most likely candidate head to buy.

Just to be sure, is the Game Changer 68P you are all talking about the razor placed at n.6 in this chart here RazoRock Razor Scale - #1 is the Mildest and #34 is the Most Aggressiv – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/pages/razorock-razor-scale and called GC 68 Safety Bar?
Yes! this one RazoRock Game Changer .68-P Double-Edge Razor – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-game-changer-double-edge-razor

@Marco

I own, used and have on loan - RazoRock BBS Standard plate, A plate, AS plate, Game Changer 84 Open Comb, Lupo 95 and Wunderbar.

Of these I must say that BBS Standard plate is the most well behaved razor and I often recommend it to fellow Wet shavers who seek mild razor in SS material and CNC machining.

I don't have any experience with the Mamba series of RazoRock, I've heard that they are also good, mild razors and cut the stubble when held at certain angles.

With BBS Standard razor the angle (for me) was very intuitive and since it needs the handle to be kept as close to the face as possible (due to curved blade not slant), the weight of the razor and gravity does most of the job and I can really get a very comfortable, clean shave without any (apart from contact pressure) pressure shaves.

It works well with a wide variety of blades for me - Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, Gillette Nacet, Shark Super Chrome, Wilkinson Sword and others.

These are the photos taken by me with my outdated Android phone. Hopefully they'll provide you with some more information on the BBS razor from a user point of view.

Link

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I own two RRs, a Mamba 70 and a Lupo 72, both bought on sale as "blemished, and with tool marks."

Honestly, I cannot find any blemishes or tool marks on either razor. Even at full price, both offer extraordinary value. I find the Mamba 70 very mild, the Lupo 72 less so. No matter. Both are in my regular rotation.

By way of subjective comparison, I find the Mamba 70 most like my Feather AS-D2 in mildness and efficiency. While I don't have a light beard, I'm able to regularly get BBS shaves from both using a bit of blade buffing on my neck and jaw. Never have I gotten so much as a weeper from either.

Good luck with the GC 68. I'll likely buy one myself, if only to expand my RR collection.

I own all the Razorock heads from way back they sold their first razor.

Ones which are CNC milled today have tight tolerances and they are tumble finished which give a great balance of finish and maintaining tight tolerances.

The Mamba 53, the BBS standard plate and the Hawk standard plate (Feather AC blade) are the most gentle and mild razors.

The Razorock mild razors have a narrow angle where they are most effective. Once you're able to dial it in, you'll get great shaves !

Iridian

Cool and slimy
As people already answered you so much, some additional info only:

1. Razorock has a "TECH II" razor that comes with a handle, but it is only zamac. Of all mentioned razors, this one is a direct copy of the Gillette Tech head. BUT... it is zamac, this one isn't available as 316L steel head.

2. They have an aluminum head clone of the DE89: The Razorock MJ-90.

3. The "RazoRock scale" can be trusted particularly in the mild half, but for all intents and purposes, I think the BBS and the Game Changer .68 beat the Mamba. The BBS in particular seems to be based on the Mamba design and improved upon it, and it is already as BBS A very mild. The BBS AS isn't mild anymore, though. So I would rather get the BBS than the Mamba. But hey, as usual YMMV. Just my thoughts.

4. They use electrochemical polishing and a tumbler finish that produces amazing results. I was always pleased how shiny they are, no more polish needed for me. But there is also a dark side of Italianbarber that must be mentioned. If something goes wrong with shipping and reclamations, I read numerous cases where they didn't provide service where not only I would have said this is a clear refund or that a plate/head needs to be replaced.

5. Their only shipment option is Canada Post, which increases price by weight. So be careful when adding razor stands, you might suddenly have 10 USD more shipping.

@Marco - I have found the scale that italianbarber provides to be very accurate. However, your question is slightly nuanced. The mildest razors are the mambas (both versions). HOWEVER, the razor that would be most like the DE89 is the GC 0.68 SB. I also have a BBS (similar to the Mambas) and while it is incredibly mild, it doesn't have the **feel** of a DE89. The GC 0.68 *feels* like a traditional DE razor (for better or worse). One downside for me is that I hate loading the blade to the baseplate. I felt the GC 0.84 is way more aggressive for my face than the GC 0.68. The BBS series is also fantastic but they do not feel like a DE89. I hope this helps.

I LOVE the finish on the RR razors. It is not Wolfman but it is not trying to be. For the price it is fantastic. Only machine marks I can see are on the underside of the top cap.

The link posted in post 12 is the Gamechanger 0.68 straight bar and would be my recommendation for what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
As people already answered you so much, some additional info only:

1. Razorock has a "TECH II" razor that comes with a handle, but it is only zamac. Of all mentioned razors, this one is a direct copy of the Gillette Tech head. BUT... it is zamac, this one isn't available as 316L steel head.

2. They have an aluminum head clone of the DE89: The Razorock MJ-90.

3. The "RazoRock scale" can be trusted particularly in the mild half, but for all intents and purposes, I think the BBS and the Game Changer .68 beat the Mamba. The BBS in particular seems to be based on the Mamba design and improved upon it, and it is already as BBS A very mild. The BBS AS isn't mild anymore, though. So I would rather get the BBS than the Mamba. But hey, as usual YMMV. Just my thoughts.

4. They use electrochemical polishing and a tumbler finish that produces amazing results. I was always pleased how shiny they are, no more polish needed for me. But there is also a dark side of Italianbarber that must be mentioned. If something goes wrong with shipping and reclamations, I read numerous cases where they didn't provide service where not only I would have said this is a clear refund or that a plate/head needs to be replaced.

5. Their only shipment option is Canada Post, which increases price by weight. So be careful when adding razor stands, you might suddenly have 10 USD more shipping.

Sir, thank you so very much for all the info provided. But, as declared above, I'm only interested in RazoRock's 316L Stainless Steel razors.
And, regarding shipping, I have an official retailer here in Italy where to buy from. Parcels from Canada would simply be too expensive for me (because I'd also need to add Custom taxes) and would take way too long.

Top Bottom