What's new

Which is more aggressive - iKon Short Comb or X3 Slant?

Looking to up my game with something more aggressive and trying to figure out how these two behave.

And any comparison to where these would stack up against either the Parker Variant or Merkur Futur would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Looking to up my game with something more aggressive and trying to figure out how these two behave.

And any comparison to where these would stack up against either the Parker Variant or Merkur Futur would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Do you mean the Deluxe Open Comb? If so, the OC is very smooth and efficient. The X3 gives is more mild, but I can shave on autopilot with it. I’d say the OC was about a 3 or 3.5 on a variant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The X3 is pretty darn mild feeling, meaning not a lot of blade feel, yet still very efficient and clears a multi-day growth quite well. One the first pass, it takes off marginally less than say the new Fine Slant which I was lucky enough to use during the pass around, but after two passes it was a dead heat.

To put it another way, the X3 is close in efficiency as my Schone OC, but significantly milder feeling. No problem at all doing multiple passes, zero irritation, rather difficult to nick yourself, yet fairly easy to get BBS with. - A good compromise between comfort and efficiency in my book.

Full disclaimer, YMMV, and I can pretty much get BBS with just about any of the dozen or so DE razors I've accumulated, from a lonely Tech to my Schone, New LC/SC, or Pearl OC Head. The only difference is how comfortable they are in doing so, and how quickly I can shave with them. The X3 shaves nearly as easily as my Rockwell using maybe the R3 plate, or a Fat-Boy on say 5. In the plan to sell off all but the more comfortable to use razors, the X3 will be one of the keepers. (I'm not allowed to buy the Timeless unless I sell some of the others, or so it's been suggested).

Fatip makes the Schone for Schone, and they share a similar design. The base plate on the Schone has fewer, but much wider teeth. Originally the cap on the Fatip may have been narrower, however, I believe they widened it by 1mm, so that it's about the same now. Either way, the Schone is the smoothest OC I've tried, with the possible exception of the Old Type. (The Old Type takes more work or passes to obtain BBS for me, but can still give a little bite if you get too sloppy - For me, it's just not efficient enough, even with a Nacet or Feather).

Top Bottom