What's new

Which is better for sensitive skin, diamond vs chromium oxide?

Some say diamond puts on a harsh edge while CrOx produces a smoother edge. Yet, some claim the opposite. I have somewhat sensitive skin and would like an idea of which paste would lead to a more gentle edge that would lead to less irritation?

Depends. I'm not a fan of diamond on a hanging strop. It's kind of bitey to me. CrOx is alright in my experience but won't be as sharp as a diamond edge.

However if you do the diamond pasted balsa method (described at length elsewhere) and finish with short x-strokes, alternating heel leading and toe leading, you can get some delightful edges. I do about 20 in each direction.

Pasted balsa without the short x-strokes is only marginally better than a pasted hanging strop in terms of comfort. The x-strokes are critical, as far as my skin is concerned.

A really nice natural finisher beats both, though. But there is more significant upfront cost and a learning curve.

For me, Chrome Oxide.

But CBN falls between the two for keenness and comfort. I like .50um CBN or .25 on a paper or sailcloth Polyester Canvas hanging strop.

Those that claim Chrome Oxide harshness, are probably not using pure Chrome Ox and using Green polishing compound, which is aggressive and harsh.

It does depend on you beard and skin type.

In my opinion hanging pasted strops are primarily a tool to remove any traces of burr or a finn edge.
If you don't have burr/finn you probably are not going to experience much of a difference using a hanging strop.
If however, you still had some burr/finn on the edge, removing it will make your razor feel much smoother (5-10 laps on the hanging strop should be sufficient to accomplish this)

Quality CrO has a grid size of .5 micron which is roughly equivalent of 50k if im not mistaken. So unless you have been finishing on .25 or .1 diamond previous to strop on CrO it will also slightly improve your polish/sharpness while removing the burr.

That said, I believe, that a good technique in shaving and stropping on plain leather are paramount to make the shave smooth and those factors will propably outweight any effect of the pasted strop.

Reactions: JPO
“Quality CrO has a grid size of .5 micron which is roughly equivalent of 50k if im not mistaken. “

More like 20-30K, but much less aggressive than diamond.

All stropping will flatten or remove a burr, fabric will grab a burr and break it off, a pasted fabric strop will then polish the edge.

There is an interesting post of micrographs on Stropping effects with leather and fabric strops and how they impact the edge.

Any edge coming off a stone, will have some, fin or burr. Stropping will always improve an edge.

It is not just about grit size. .50 um Chrome Oxide, CBN and Diamond edges are each very different edges, even though the grit size is the same because of the shape of the grit. And then there is quality, or quality control and concentration. eBay diamond vs, T. Pella or Jende.

A bottle of nano grit is for most a lifetime supply, buy the good stuff.

Substrate also makes a difference. I spray my paper strops with distilled water and can feel the shaving difference with and without water in terms of comfort, with the same paste.

Just my own personal experience is that diamond, both 0.5 micron and 0.25 micron on balsa leave a harsh edge. Sharp, but harsh and 'grabby'.

Chromium oxide leaves a much more comfortable edge, and sharper than most stones or synthetic honing devices.

CBN leaves a very comfortable edge that is also 'razor' sharp (yep, a lousy pun). But I only have 0.1 CBN and have never tried diamond that fine so I cannot compare. I shave off of a balsa strop pasted with 0.1 CBN and find the shave very comfortable and as forgiving as any other IME, including the critical pass, against the grain.

Diamond and to a lesser degree, CBN is a very aggressive material with very sharp points on the individual cutting grains. This is what makes them aggressive abrasives. Chromium oxide is a bigger grain size but basically 'roundish' particles with many small flat surfaces which yields a less aggressive abrasive but also a cutting edge with very much shallower gouges and that is what I believe leaves a smoother edge.

And finally, there are sub- 0.1 micron grit abrasives, diamond and perhaps CBN. No experience here but some people use them and say they leave phenomenal edges, both sharp and smooth. Again no experience so no thoughts on this.

The very best edge I have ever used was finished on 0.5 micron diamond film, honed (edge first) rather than stropped. It was remarkable in that I could not feel it as an edge sliding down my face. Put another way, it would make no difference if the razor was edge or spine leading. The hair was just magically removed without any feel. The problem is that this edge did not last and it was a hassle re-honing the razors after each shave. That is where pasted balsa shines- it is very fast and easy to do with no prep. required at all and can easily be done before or after a shave.

So to sum up..... it is complicated. :) But 0.1 micron CBN on balsa remains my own go- to favorite for uber sharp and smooth.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Depends. I'm not a fan of diamond on a hanging strop. It's kind of bitey to me. CrOx is alright in my experience but won't be as sharp as a diamond edge.

However if you do the diamond pasted balsa method (described at length elsewhere) and finish with short x-strokes, alternating heel leading and toe leading, you can get some delightful edges. I do about 20 in each direction.

Pasted balsa without the short x-strokes is only marginally better than a pasted hanging strop in terms of comfort. The x-strokes are critical, as far as my skin is concerned.

A really nice natural finisher beats both, though. But there is more significant upfront cost and a learning curve.
@Darth Scandalous has it right. I am totally in his came on this.

And finally, there are sub- 0.1 micron grit abrasives, diamond and perhaps CBN. No experience here but some people use them and say they leave phenomenal edges, both sharp and smooth. Again no experience so no thoughts on this.
I have some .1 FeOx (Iron Oxide)

Legion

Staff member
I would say CrOx.

But if I had sensitive skin pastes would not be my first choice as a finisher.

Top Bottom