Which handle to mount the knot in?

• Made rite cream

• Everready green

• Made rite butterscotch

• red/cream barbershop style

• Rex red/white

Results are only viewable after voting.
None of the above.

Sell or swap that fan shape for a bulb shape. THEN you'll have a knot worth setting.

I've restored two very similar brushes recently. One got a Finest bulb, the other a Finest fan. IMHO, the bulb is the clear winner.

If you're stuck on using the fan shape, I vote for putting it in one of the red-white handles.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

Really? I have a bulb shape, and thought the fan would be spectacular for face lathering. Am I mistaken?

Really? I have a bulb shape, and thought the fan would be spectacular for face lathering. Am I mistaken?
I absolutely love the fan shape. It suits my taste better than a bulb. Everyone has their own preferences. The only way to know is to try it. I have, and use both fan and bulb finest from TGN, and both are nice in there own way. FYI, I face lather 99% of the time. as all ways YMMV.

50 would be the absolute max for face lathering.

Here is the knot that I have in the green handle set at approx 52.375. I'm a little concerned with setting it further in. Does this look right for a 22mm XH fan?

$IMG_7256.jpg

Here is the same knot set at approx 49.25 (1 penny less)

$IMG_7258.jpg

I haven't used an XH fan knot before, and am not sure how it should look when set. I can feel a difference between the 2, but am not sure how it will settle in once it blooms out.

I think that will be too high a loft for a 22mm fan. I set most of my 22mm fans at between 45mm and 47mm. I face lather 99% of the time, and I find this to be a sweet spot for that knot. YMMV. If I can find my camera I'll post a pic of my ER 200 with a 24mm fan set at 45mm.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my ER 200 with a 24mm TGN finest fan set at 45mm please excuse the soap build up around the knot base, I took a quick pic. I also put a pic of my lucite ER restore with a 22mm TGN finest fan set at 45mm. I hope this helps give you a idea of how they bloom out.

$199 (1280x721).jpgView attachment 293252

Attachments

• $198 (1280x721).jpg
    $198 (1280x721).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 59
Thanks! I think I have my answers. I will go with the green for the fan knot, and have another 20mm knot ordered for the butterscotch, so both will be built up by the end of the year. Additionally, I finished polishing up a tiny little handle that will take a 16mm knot, and have a best ordered for it, too. Pics and progress will be posted as I go.

The green has been filled with water putty, and I am going to make sure it dries for a week or so before I do anything else.

I'm going to check out the water putty I used for handle filler this evening, and if it is set up well, I'm going to mount the knot in the green handle. The knot for the butterscotch hasn't arrived yet, but I expect it any day. Final pictures to follow.

Here it is in pre bloom. The knot is glued and I'll start breaking it in tomorrow. I ended up setting it at 47mm since everyone suggested less loft.

$IMG_7259.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good dude. I think you will like the 47mm loft. My brother gave me a restore he did using a 24mm TGN finest fan set at 47mm and I think it is a perfect loft for that knot. I face and bowl lather, and it does great on both.

That is good to know. I left a 20mm bulb knot a lot higher than that, and it is working out nicely, so I was a little worried about setting so deep. I like it so far. I went ahead and did my first lather with it to start the break in process, and it seems to be just about where I like it. Thanks to everyone for talking me into setting deeper. I'm going to like it. The weight of the handle is nice, too. The putty I used to fill the handle added some nice heft to it, and it just feel substantial. I like it a lot so far. I can't wait to actually use it. :biggrin1:

Can't wait to see the post-bloom pics. I've got 2 finest knots coming from TGN tomorrow, 22mm Finest XH Fan and 20mm Finest XH Bulb. The Fan is already slated for my recently acquired Rubberset 203, which looks like your ER, but with a butterscotch bottom half (looks exactly like MaxP's).

Top Bottom