Which handle to mount the knot in?

Which handle to mount the knot in?

• Made rite cream

• Everready green

• Made rite butterscotch

• red/cream barbershop style

• Rex red/white

Results are only viewable after voting.
I received my 22mm TGN finest fan knot today. The problem is that it fits 5 of my handles. Weigh in on your choice. They are:
made rite cream, everready green, made rite butterscotch, red and cream barbershop style, rex red and white
$IMG_7245.jpg$IMG_7248.jpg$IMG_7249.jpg$IMG_7252.jpg$IMG_7254.jpg

Keep in mind there is a 22mm WD silvertip on the way as well, so one of these will get that knot. No guarantees that I will necessarily follow the results of the poll, but I am interested in seeing where everyone else's preferences fall.

I'll give my preference and say I do like the cream and butterscotch the best with this knot, and am thinking about using the WD in the green handle.

Last edited:
To complicate things, I can get just enough of the knot in on the butterscotch and cream to hide the glue and just a smudge more. It leaves me with around 57 mm exposed. Does anyone see a problem with this? I plan on using this primarily for face lathering, and don't think the finest will fluff out too bad, but I haven't had too much experience with this particular knot. If I need to set the knot deeper, the options will really be limited to the 3 other handles. Any ideas or opinions?

I have a 22mm Fan set at 50 and that's about perfect for me. Quite a stretch to 57 though, I think you risk it feeling floppy.

Based on that I'd like to amend my vote from Creme to the Barbershop style.

Last edited:
I think the butterscotch and cream are out of the equation for this particular knot. They are going to have to wait for a 20mm knot.

My vote is for the Butterscotch. The two band colour of the finest will look great in it.

Maybe the Red and White for the Silvertip.

Don't waste the green Everready on a 22mm knot. It is begging for a bigger knot and you are bound to buy a 24mm at some stage - use it then:thumbup:
Other than that, you can't really go wrong, you have some nice options.

To complicate things, I can get just enough of the knot in on the butterscotch and cream to hide the glue and just a smudge more. It leaves me with around 57 mm exposed.

This really isn't a viable option if you want to enjoy the brush (IMO). You can drill down a bit to make the hole deeper. Then decide on your loft preference and set the knot to match. I have a finest 22mm set at
52mm and sometimes think that is too floppy - a 57mm would certainly lack backbone.

Barbershop with the black and green for the silvertip. Not an expert, just think the barbershop is the one I would want to use.

You can drill down a bit to make the hole deeper.

It isn't really a matter of drilling down. The handle is deep enough to set, but the hole in the handle would have to be enlarged so that the knot could be dropped in further. There is just enough room to get the glue plug in, but where the hair flairs out above that won't fit in the handleI guess that I could expand the holes and leave the cream as an option, but the butterscotch has a metal liner that would have to be removed to open up the hole. Otherwise, I think the butterscotch would be my first choice at this point.

Last edited:
It isn't really a matter of drilling down. The handle is deep enough to set, but the hole in the handle would have to be enlarged so that the knot could be dropped in further. There is just enough room to get the glue plug in, but where the hair flairs out above that won't fit in the handleI guess that I could expand the holes and leave the cream as an option, but the butterscotch has a metal liner that would have to be removed to open up the hole. Otherwise, I think the butterscotch would be my first choice at this point.
I would experiment with trying to remove that metal liner. On the one hand, you have a great looking handle that you shouldn't ruin with experimentation. On the other hand, if you leave the handle as is, you lose the ability to turn it into a great brush.

Perhaps this warrants a separate question on the forum? I haven't had to remove one those metal liners myself, but would assume you can do it without damaging the knot. I know the guys who transplant Semogue knots routinely remove the metal liners, but they discard the handles, so yours is sort of the opposite task.

I'm thinking the green is going to get the knot, with the butterscotch getting a 20mm knot later. I also have one to do that will require a 16mm knot, and might end up putting in an order for several to complete a few of these.

Top Bottom