What's new

Which grit should I use?

I actually have two questions.

1. I have a .50 micron diamond pasted strop that I use. If I use the pasted strop when I should, will I ever need to use a lower grit stone such as the 4K/8K?

2. If I eventually have to use a lower grit stone, how will I know if I should start out with the 4K or if I should start out with the 8K?

Personally I use the 8k to refresh a blade that has been used for 6 months or more and then the 4k is only necessary if there are microchips in the blade or other minor damage that has happened to the blade.

You will use your pasted strop when you notice that the straight gets duller. You feel an unpleasant pulling of hairs instead of cutting. There is no schedule for using a pasted strop. It depends on how often you use the straight and it also depends on your shaving technique. (With more experience you can also handle a blade that is a bit duller). The steel of you straight is also one factor in the equation.
I have read that some straight shavers were able to keep their razors sharp for years only with pastes. But when you feel that your straight keeps pulling after the paste or it dulls quickly after using the straight it will be time for honing. A 4k/8k combo is enough to keep a sharp blade shave ready. A barber's hone (like swaty etc.) is an alternative.

You will use your pasted strop when you notice that the straight gets duller. You feel an unpleasant pulling of hairs instead of cutting. There is no schedule for using a pasted strop. It depends on how often you use the straight and it also depends on your shaving technique. (With more experience you can also handle a blade that is a bit duller). The steel of you straight is also one factor in the equation.
I have read that some straight shavers were able to keep their razors sharp for years only with pastes. But when you feel that your straight keeps pulling after the paste or it dulls quickly after using the straight it will be time for honing. A 4k/8k combo is enough to keep a sharp blade shave ready. A barber's hone (like swaty etc.) is an alternative.

That is helpful information. Thanks!

Top Bottom