What's new

Which Gold Dollar is This?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
We don't have a great variety of straights readily available to us in the Philippines. I found this available for USD 12 + 2 shipping.

IMG_20200119_084556.jpg

Which GD is this? It may even be a knockoff.

Why don’t you buy an awesome used straight from the forum and someone can ship one to the Philippines for you ?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Because there is only about a 50% chance of it getting through the corrupt Philippines customs.

Besides, I already have two different Titan straight razors that I use and am very happy with.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
We don't have a great variety of straights readily available to us in the Philippines. I found this available for USD 12 + 2 shipping.

View attachment 1054033

Which GD is this? It may even be a knockoff.
Looks like a W59. The ones I got were "honed" at an extremely high angle and I had to take a LOT of steel off to get down to a proper bevel. Be patent, and let the coarse grits to the heavy work for you.

TBH, a 66 is a lot less trouble. But like all Gold Dollars, the steel is just fine and you can make a dandy shaver out of it.

Try logging in to the U.S. ebay. Most of the sellers are in Hong Kong or else in PRC, and worldwide shipping is free.

Here is my regular hookup for the GD66

That razor, @rbscebu, seems like a knockoff of one of Portland Razor Company’s customs, from the time GD stole and changed PRC’s marketing images and used them for their own ads, then contacted Portland to see if they wanted GD to produce them for PRC.

My brother has this GD and I had him check his...no model number on it or the bag or hard case.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks for the info. I think I'll get it to give me a(nother) project to keep me occupied. It will be a new experience to hone a blade down to an acceptable bevel angle.

I find the profile shape interesting and would like to experience shaving with that shape. If it doesn't work out I have not lost much and developed another skill in honing.

The seller states that the blade is high carbon steel, 60 RHC, 8/8 and 5mm thick. (That would give it a 12deg bevel angel.) Scales are of black sandalwood.

It sounds like what Slash received.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A lot of info on the blade in that link I posted

LOL
"Before shaving the retro razor, clean the razor, scrape the knife on the scraper cloth, then shave, razor can be used repeatedly, the blade may go dull after long, you can be sharpen on the grindstone to improve its sharpness, almost no damage,high carbon steel razor gets high hardness, keep sharpness effect, wear-resistant and other advantages..." and so on.

It was one of my first GD's that I bought, and when I started working on it, I managed to break the scales. Clumsy, I know, but they are a bit brittle so take care. Rescaled it, and after a lot of honing got a good edge. That was when I started honing, now I would have thinned the shoulder before starting.

Now it shaves like a dream, easy to maintain the edge. One of my favourites.

Very thin grind for a GD. Lots of audible feedback.
IMG_2639.jpgIMG_2640.JPG

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks Biltong for the heads-up on the scales. My W59 should be delivered before the end of the month, about the same time as my diamond paste is due from the US (Philippines customs permitting).

When I started, I used a felt tip pen to blacken the edge, and kept going until I could see the whole edge is making contact. That's one of the easiest ways to see when the bevel is set. Took me a while to get a good bevel on this one, but after that it was never necessary to go back to the stones.

Many conversations about the subject, but on a cheap razor, set it like you mean it, and the rest is easy.

As you gain experience, there are other ways to know when you have set a good bevel.

Top Bottom