What's new

Which Gin?

I've been drinking more gin than water for the past decade since I retired. I prefer a good London Dry. Beefeater is the best at the upper price range and Gordon's the best at the lower. For me, a good gin needs juniper, not citrus or other weird flavors. My daughter and husband usually give me a bottle of something new at Christmas. I'm always game for trying a new gin and appreciate their thought of giving me something I wouldn't normally buy. This year it was FEW American Gin. FEW must cater to millennials who don't like gin, because I can't imagine anyone who likes a good London Dry drinking it. I will say that it is better drinking straight than mixed with tonic. The bottle will not go to waste, but I won't be buying another. To date, the only gin bad enough to dump 1/2 gal down my kitchen drain was Burnett's.

Last edited:
I think I have had the FEW naval strength, which is not as avant garde as the regular strength version, at least as I recall. But from what I read the prominent notes in the regular version include malt, which seems disturbing for me in a gin. I mean, why call it a gin? I do not need my gins barrel-aged either. And whatever Copper & Kings has in mind in its American Gin, distilled from apple win with lots of botanicals not typical of London Dry gin, just does not not seem right to me. On the other hand, the regular Bluecoat, which is citrus-forward but still has a good deal of juniper has tasted good to me. And I saw a write up of Costco's Kirkland London Dry Gin as to the potential distiller that mentioned rose notes, and thus not likely Tanqueray or Beefeaters. I like Kirkland's gin about as much as any, frankly, and had not noticed rose notes.

I have not had Aviation gin, which is said to be lavender-forward.

Half a bottle of FEW gin gone and I still can't figure out what I'm tasting. I don't get the vanilla, lemon or juniper as reviews suggest. Today I read where FEW is made using white whiskey (un-aged Bourbon) instead of neutral spirits. I'm not a whiskey or bourbon drinker, so maybe that's my problem with it. I did find out what the FEW name stands for. It's the initials of Frances Elizabeth Willard, a founder and president of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union in the 1870s & 1880s. I always enjoy a history lesson, so that was a plus for this gin.

I used to really enjoy a nice, dry, martini, but I've been a teetotaler lately, so it's been a little while since I've had one. My favorite gin for a martini is Boodles, which was supposedly Sir Winston Churchill's favorite as well.

I think I'll ring in 2020 with one tonight.

If it really is "white dog," then I expect you're tasting corn. Who knows what else after that.

This review says malty, so maybe the grain bill for the white dog is in part malted barley. Few American Gin - https://theginisin.com/gin-reviews/few-american-gin/ I do not think of corn or rye as tasting malty. I think you and I join the reviewer in his saying "If you like Beefeater, but dislike whiskey- perhaps Few American Gin is not for you." Although, I like Beefeater and whiskey. I just do not see the need for my gin to taste like whiskey!

I suppose I am fine with anything that was ever traditional. There were a many different types of gins over the years.

Many nice gins!

Here enjoy Tanqueray as well as Bombay Sapphire!!

castle forbes lime truefitt and hill kai penhaligon juniper sling october 1 2015.jpg

blue proraso martini oct 10 2013 comp.jpg

I've come to love a Vesper Martini. I part Vodka, 4 parts Gin, 1/2 part Lillet Blonde. Shaken over ice, served up with a lemon twist. I like to use Ketel One and Bombay Sapphire for mine. This is more of a summer drink for me as it is super refreshing. You have to make sure you let it chill long enough. And chill the glasses beforehand and you'll see little bits of ice floating in the drink. But, you have to be careful. They go down like water. At this point I can only handle two before I start to become an idiot. Oh, who am I kidding. I'm always an idiot. But yeah. Two is my limit.

View attachment 1045082
This is my favourite martini! I use Bombay Sapphire gin and Russian Standard vodka....Lillet Blonde of course.

Given that my gin is always mixed with tonic, it doesn't make sense to go super premium. For me its either Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray 10.

I haven't bought a gin in years, used to enjoy plain ol' Beefeater. Seen a Canadian gin in our local BCLC store called "Ungava" made with arctic botanicals instead of the usual subjects for flavouring. There is also a blue gin coloured with those butterfly pea flowers sold under the "Empress Hotel" in Victoria B.C. brand.

I haven't bought a gin in years, used to enjoy plain ol' Beefeater. Seen a Canadian gin in our local BCLC store called "Ungava" made with arctic botanicals instead of the usual subjects for flavouring. There is also a blue gin coloured with those butterfly pea flowers sold under the "Empress Hotel" in Victoria B.C. brand.
The Ungava is actually quite nice. I’ve had it in a g&t but not in a martini. The color dilutes out fairly quickly so you don’t grt the impression you’re downing a glass of Mountain Dew or urine.

One of my favorite gins is St. George Terroir. It’s got botanicals of the Bay Area. Not totally traditional - I get a little more pine than straight juniper - but not too far from the norm. It really does give you a sense of place.

I won't and don't pretend to be a connoisseur, or even a knowledgeable person about Gin, or anything else for that matter. But I have drunk more than my fair share of it in my 20's and 30's and I always went with Boodles. It never mattered if I was drinking Martinis or Gin and Tonics, I just liked the taste of it. I still buy Boodles when I need a gin, but it's rare that I need to do so, as I mostly have gone to Bourbon these days. But in the end, still a Boodles guy when it comes to Gin.

Went with some Beefeater Gin that was on sale and oh MY, I have found my destination drink! I have made a solid 5+ drinks with this recipe to verify(!) the overall consistency. It took me a while to dial in the vermouth and you can't just use any olives....these olives are sweeter/less bitter than everything else I've tried and the red pepper is light years better than pimento IMHO.

(3) parts Beefeater Gin
(1) parts Dolin Dry Vermouth
(3) Pearl's Vermouth soaked / Red Pepper stuffed green olives on a skewer

Gently stir with ice for about a minute and double strain into chilled Martini glass. Add olive skewer and serve. Pure silk. All your worries will be gone after your first sip and before you put the glass down.

In my regular rotation is Thuya(consistent International Double Gold winner, made here in NB), Bombay Saphire East, Seventh Heaven and Bulldog, typically used with Martini Extra Dry, 4-1 with a lime twist. Depending on the mood determines which I mix. Something plain; Bulldog, a hint of Anise; Seventh Heaven, Some depth; Bombay Saphire East, Strong Juniper; Thuya. On rare occasions or when the SWMBO reminds me, Tanqueray shows up.

The Ungava is actually quite nice. I’ve had it in a g&t but not in a martini. The color dilutes out fairly quickly so you don’t grt the impression you’re downing a glass of Mountain Dew or urine.
It is quite nice, does make an intersting looking Martini, it shows up in the cabinet once a year or so.

Top Bottom