What's new

Which essential oils have you experimented with?

Yo, I want to tinker with my bottle of witch hazel and make up some scented batches. I'd like to know which essential oils you've tried including brands if that makes a difference, your thoughts, recipes etc.

I've ordered some menthol crystals already and some vegetable glycerin. I'm thinking of trying peppermint oil, lemon oil, lime oil, sandalwood oil as I already have some and maybe a floral one too. I want to make a minty citrus one and of course a straight up mentholated one but I'm open to all sorts. My witch hazel is 14% alcohol, will the oils emulsify or separate? Also I read people grind up alum into their witch hazel too, is this common/effective?

Interested to read your alchemical exploits. :)

Cheers

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. Tea tree oil, oakmoss, tree moss, lavender, others.

But they will bead up, ie, not dissolve in witch hazel. Too much water, I'd guess. They do dissolve in alcohol and high alcohol aftershaves. You'll see. People use perfumers alcohol and high octane booze as well.

For years, I just used WH with TTO in it, I'd just shake the bottle before using. Great stuff.

AA

Careful with citrus eo. They can cause a nasty skin reaction with the sun. There are very low limits in their use.

I used several eo with witch hazel. Glycerin and aloe were also added. It just needs a good shake each time you use it. Eucalyptus was my favorite addition. Good luck.

I dislike alum in a splash. I only use it for cuts really. I’m sure it will dissolve if you wanted it to be included.

Just remember, you can’t take something out once you put it in.....

Didn't know about the citrus and sun.. I'll look into that. Also, does glycerin mix properly or does it behave like oil and separate?

Cheera

Didn't know about the citrus and sun.. I'll look into that. Also, does glycerin mix properly or does it behave like oil and separate?

Cheera
I cannot tell you what did or did not separate when I mixed mine, but it needed to be shaken each use. I used Dickinson’s WH. I did not add the ingredients one at a time to see which dissolved well. It does dissolve in Pinaud aftershaves well...

I was attempting to make the now discontinued Thayer’s Superhazel.... It was quite nice, but not even close. I should have just bought a case of superhazel..

Careful with citrus eo. They can cause a nasty skin reaction with the sun.
Or even without sun, in my experience.

I have added menthol to witch hazel plus rubbing alcohol, I suppose. I am not much on scented after shaves. I find lots of things irritating to my skin and I am not looking to have anything compete with whatever scents I am wearing.

I did a little experiment with menthol crystals in plain witch hazel. Not all the crystals mixed, I ground them into salt sized bits but they seem to have gone past the point of dissolving now. Didn't use too much either so it's not crazy over loaded or anything. I added some glycerin to the mix too, just to see how it's go but with the crystals floating on the top it looks like a failure.

Everclear will dissolve most EOs, glycerin, menthol and even some carrier oils like jojoba to a limited extent. Then the solution can be “watered down” with witchazel or just water. I’ve made up many splashes this way and added EOs to unscented shaving cream - geranium cream is very nice. Labdanum is good too.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
2 parts China Musk; 2 parts China Rain; 1 part Oakmoss; 1 part patchouli. More or less. I occasionally substituted China Lily for either the rain or the musk. A great summer frag either way.

Top Bottom