What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

I always liked full... Speed? Power? You know what I mean haha. If I had to touch up later or found I needed to hit my sensitive neck again to really put that finishing touch on a shave I would take it all the way down to it's lowest setting. It could be placebo but I did find I could send a little extra time on my sensitive areas without discomfort, not saying that I really experience discomfort anyway but every body has an area that they can push a little too hard if not being careful. All of the settings in-between highest and lowest seem pointless to me, I wish instead of a +/- it was just an on/off button for the 'sensitive' mode.

Not sure what to do with my series 3. I don't need 2 shavers and I don't travel enough to necessitate a back up nor do I have any kids or family members to pass it off to. My wife recently made a comment of, "I wish I could just shave my legs dry like you and not waste all this shower water" so maybe I'll give it to her to try.

I can’t tell any difference in the sound of the shaver or the strength of the vibration in each of the three settings. It could be that the difference you noticed shaving your neck area could be a placebo effect. It’s a very powerful part of our minds.

I don’t know if she will like using a men’s shaver because leg hair is different. Let her try it out and let us know how she likes using the shaver.

I can’t tell any difference in the sound of the shaver or the strength of the vibration in each of the three settings. It could be that the difference you noticed shaving your neck area could be a placebo effect. It’s a very powerful part of our minds.

I don’t know if she will like using a men’s shaver because leg hair is different. Let her try it out and let us know how she likes using the shaver.

Her leg hair is so minimal and soft she can skip several days and I won't even notice, it might be too fine for the foils to grab. The BOSC mindset in me wants to know how it works though haha.

Do you mean that you reset the system indicator when you buy a new shaver and not replace the new cassette? My guess is that the indicator light is just counting numbers of shaves before illuminating. How else could it determine when the cutters or screens are worn? Basically, this is another feature that I could live without along with the three colored settings designed to adjust the speed of the motor to adjust aggressiveness. Regardless which setting it makes no difference in the quality of the shave that I can discern. I just leave it in the ‘Green’ mode which is the most aggressive setting.

Braun’s new shavers have an automatic aggressiveness adjustment using a sensor that determines the thickness of your beard to adjust the speed. I would be interested in finding out from the members who have purchased 2020 shavers that feature and if it works any better than the manual version on my shaver.

Correct - just my OCD. :001_smile I reset the cassette on a NEW shaver so I KNOW it's starting from zero, not knowing the history of the shaver (even from the factory), and yes, I suspect it'sjust a counter. And yes, all the Series 9 shavers - 90XX, 92XX, 93XX (and the new Series 7, probably others) - have an automatic speed adjustment based on beard density. I've never use one without this feature, so I don't have a comparison to say how effective it is (and it can't be turned off), but I've found all the Series 9s (and new S7s) to be very efficient at shaving my beard regardless of the growth. The new Series 9 (93XX) has a 32-bit processor versus the earlier 8-bit in the 90XX and 92XX, and does seem to provide a smoother and more comfortable shave, but could just be my perception.

Do you mean that you reset the system indicator when you buy a new shaver and not replace the new cassette? My guess is that the indicator light is just counting numbers of shaves before illuminating. How else could it determine when the cutters or screens are worn? Basically, this is another feature that I could live without along with the three colored settings designed to adjust the speed of the motor to adjust aggressiveness. Regardless which setting it makes no difference in the quality of the shave that I can discern. I just leave it in the ‘Green’ mode which is the most aggressive setting.

Braun’s new shavers have an automatic aggressiveness adjustment using a sensor that determines the thickness of your beard to adjust the speed. I would be interested in finding out from the members who have purchased 2020 shavers that feature and if it works any better than the manual version on my shaver.
It work's Bob. My Series-9 never bogg's down when it has to cut through four day's worth of growth. When I use my Series-7 I just leave it on the highest setting. I'll probably buy a replacement cartridge for the Series-9 this Summer just so I'm ready for when the original shaver head wears out. It'll be over two years old.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

It work's Bob. My Series-9 never bogg's down when it has to cut through four day's worth of growth. When I use my Series-7 I just leave it on the highest setting. I'll probably buy a replacement cartridge for the Series-9 this Summer just so I'm ready for when the original shaver head wears out. It'll be over two years old.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Thanks Clayton. On either of your Braun shavers did the change cassette indicator light come on before the head needed changing even though the cutters and screens still were good?

Costco is offering a Braun Series 8 shaver with the cleaning station for $50 off the list price. I don’t have an online account set up so I don’t know the exact price.

I looked it up it’s $129.99 At Amazon it’s $164.77

That's a great price. I don't have experience with the series 8 but I've read alot about it and it's supposed to be basically a series 9 jr. It should feel the same in the hand as the series 9 and give you shaving performance falling between the old (pre 2020 'easy clean' model) series 5 and old series 7. At $170 or more... Just get the 7865cc. At $130, that's really not a bad price. Basically paying for a 5 and getting an 8.

It's been awhile since I read that one but is that the review where he basically says 'I don't know why this exists, it's a more expensive series 5'?

ShaverCheck has always been a huge fan of the older Series 7 (me, not so much, although it's a good shaver and iconic in Braun's lineup, and groundbreaking in its day), but I think the S8 and older S7 is a better comparison. The S8 and S5 are really very different shavers, although with similar heads. Body style of the S8 is much closer to the older S7, and almost identical to the S9. The S5 is more like a "dumbed down" version of the new S7 - body style, detachable trimmer, cleaning station - and not a bad shaver by all accounts, but IMO not very similar to the S8, except for the 3-blade foil head. He may be comparing the shave, which could be similar. The new S7 has a 3-blade head and does provide an excellent shave, comparable to the S9, but functionally and cosmetically is very different.

ShaverCheck has always been a huge fan of the older Series 7 (me, not so much, although it's a good shaver and iconic in Braun's lineup, and groundbreaking in its day), but I think the S8 and older S7 is a better comparison. The S8 and S5 are really very different shavers, although with similar heads. Body style of the S8 is much closer to the older S7, and almost identical to the S9. The S5 is more like a "dumbed down" version of the new S7 - body style, detachable trimmer, cleaning station - and not a bad shaver by all accounts, but IMO not very similar to the S8, except for the 3-blade foil head. He may be comparing the shave, which could be similar. The new S7 has a 3-blade head and does provide an excellent shave, comparable to the S9, but functionally and cosmetically is very different.

I meant the old series 5 but I see what you mean and do remember his thoughts now.

Boy, this whole 'new' and 'old' S5/S7 thing is really starting to make conversations jumbled haha. I'm sure they never thought there would be a forum of shaving enthusiasts talking about them all the time but still... They could have made it a separate naming system entirely. Letters maybe? Series A, Series B, etc? It's a pretty new design for them considering their basic design and concept hasn't really changed much since inception.

I meant the old series 5 but I see what you mean and do remember his thoughts now.

Boy, this whole 'new' and 'old' S5/S7 thing is really starting to make conversations jumbled haha. I'm sure they never thought there would be a forum of shaving enthusiasts talking about them all the time but still... They could have made it a separate naming system entirely. Letters maybe? Series A, Series B, etc? It's a pretty new design for them considering their basic design and concept hasn't really changed much since inception.

Amen! The older S5 is quite similar (Braun is a lot like Panasonic, with a dozen iterations of older shavers floating around, except that Braun keeps the same numerical designations for out-of-production shavers, and Panasonic just keeps producing the same older models). :001_smile The business end (shaver head) really hasn't changed that much for Braun or Panny in the different generations, and are more recognizable - 2-blade cutter advancing to 5-blade cutter in the Braun, same for the Panny, with minor do-dads thrown in along the way - the addition of a center flat blade in both for trimming longer hairs being the most significant change. The cutter "delivery system" (shaver body) has changed dramatically for both, functionally and cosmetically, but in my experience the shave has remained pretty much the same within each manufacturer's line over the years, although very different between manufacturers.

As a side note, it's fascinating to see the electric shaver discussions evolve along the lines of the bladed razor forums - I remember long discussions over whether the classic vintage Darwin razor was better than the homage-created Evolution - cosmetically and functionally essentially the same razor. A Martian newly-dropped on the planet likely couldn't tell the difference. And that's not a bad thing - it shows that electric shaving has matured right alongside our bladed-shaving brethren and sister-en. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Amen! The older S5 is quite similar (Braun is a lot like Panasonic, with a dozen iterations of older shavers floating around, except that Braun keeps the same numerical designations for out-of-production shavers, and Panasonic just keeps producing the same older models). :001_smile The business end (shaver head) really hasn't changed that much for Braun or Panny in the different generations, and are more recognizable - 2-blade cutter advancing to 5-blade cutter in the Braun, same for the Panny, with minor do-dads thrown in along the way - the addition of a center flat blade in both for trimming longer hairs being the most significant change. The cutter "delivery system" (shaver body) has changed dramatically for both, functionally and cosmetically, but in my experience the shave has remained pretty much the same within each manufacturer's line over the years, although very different between manufacturers.

Well said. Like how I describe the difference between Braun models (series 3 through series 9): they all give you pretty much the same result, the difference is how quickly, comfortably, and efficiently they get you there.

Well said. Like how I describe the difference between Braun models (series 3 through series 9): they all give you pretty much the same result, the difference is how quickly, comfortably, and efficiently they get you there.

Regardless of the confusion of model nomenclature, the series 8 is similar to the series 7 and comes with a cleaning station at a great price. I bought my Braun 7983s last April at Costco and have been extremely pleased with it for only $100. My feelings about cleaning stations being a waste of money is well known on this forum so I won’t repeated them here. If you want the cleaning station, then this shaver has improved features over the series 7 and includes the cleaning station. It’s only $30 more than I paid for the now out of production 7 series shaver.

Really nice shave today from my series 7 after a beach walk with my wife. Williams lectric pre shave, shower after shaving, plain witch hazel to close it out and a little spritz of old spice cologne. Fantastic!

IMG_20200530_130513804.jpg

Really nice shave today from my series 7 after a beach walk with my wife. Williams lectric pre shave, shower after shaving, plain witch hazel to close it out and a little spritz of old spice cologne. Fantastic!

View attachment 1106970

I haven’t used any pre-shave nor aftershave products for more years than I can remember. I’ve been married almost 35 years and I can’t remember when I used either of them when I was single. My series 7 also delivers a really nice shave every day. 🤔

proxy.php

Shaver: Phillips HQ 6906
AS: Cien Men Balm
Scent: La Rive Hitfire

It's always fascinating to me when our members from outside the US post SOTD pics because I enjoy seeing what products we don't have here, I've never heard of Cien nor Hitfire before. Thanks!

It's always fascinating to me when our members from outside the US post SOTD pics because I enjoy seeing what products we don't have here, I've never heard of Cien nor Hitfire before. Thanks!
Both cien and la rive are cheap knock offs. Not cheap in terms of quallity. Cien Men balsam is basically like Nivea Men Balsam, I think they have the same scent. Quallity is almost the same, both Nivea and Cien are german made. Post shave feel for that price is absolutely superb. Cien is Lidl's brand. I would not recommend other cien aftershaves, they are terrible (at least to me). La Rive Hitfire is $10 clone of Fahrenheit by Dior. I also have 90's original Fahrenheit however I prefer this clone a little bit more. La Rive is polish brand, scent lasts few hours, however some members of this forum have had shorter projection. Nothing special really. I wouldn't be surprised if Cien and Nivea balm are made in the same factory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom