What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

Hi Clayton,
If using the cleaning station makes you happy then no amount of money spent or not spent would matter. Enjoy yourself using your cleaning station.

According to my Braun owner’s manual the cutter/cassette should last 18 months. The shaver comes with a warning light indicating when the cutter requires replacing. I’m assuming it keeps track of the date to calculate when to illuminate. I will see if the cassette requires replacement based on the quality of the shave.

I never replaced the cutters nor the screens on 5 year old Panasonic ES8103 shaver. The cutters were beginning to get dull when I bought the Braun shaver. Regardless a 7 series replacement cassette is available on Amazon for $27 U.S. which seems reasonable. Panasonic was very proud of their cutters and screens which were nearly $50 to replace. Hopefully the quality of the shaves and the condition of the screens will dictate when to replace the cassette. Has anyone gotten 18 months of use from a series 7 cassette? Is the same 18 month replacement recommended for the series 9 shavers?
Braun suggests 18 months for both the Series-7, or Series-9 when it comes daily useage, and cartridge replacement. I go by the quality of the shave, or if I wear a hole in the foil. Haven't been bit yet.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Braun suggests 18 months for both the Series-7, or Series-9 when it comes daily useage, and cartridge replacement. I go by the quality of the shave, or if I wear a hole in the foil. Haven't been bit yet.

Clayton

Interestingly, the only foil shaver that I ever wore a whole in the screen was a Remington shaver. I was replacing the foils and the cutters every six weeks or so. The cutters would corrode from rinsing the shaver head with water after shaving and the foils just developed holes after a few weeks. I replaced it with a Panasonic ES8103 shaver. As you say I plan on replacing the cutter/foil cassette on the Braun when the quality of the shave deteriorates or 18 months.

Is anyone here using their electric for head shaving or just their face?
I have tried my series 3 Braun for head shaving , but found it took too long to complete the job. I have used the Pit Bull Gold head shaver , and do like the speed and ease of it.

I have tried my series 3 Braun for head shaving , but found it took too long to complete the job. I have used the Pit Bull Gold head shaver , and do like the speed and ease of it.

I used a pitbull silver two times before I returned it under their guarantee. It gave me weird small circular cuts on the back of my neck that I've never gotten before and gave me a visual spotty head shave. It looked like I had advancing alopecia and waited too many days in between shaving haha. I just absolutely could not get that thing to give me an even shave. When I spoke to them about this they told me that "my skin and technique were not yet adapted to electric shavers". When I explained that I was already using a Braun foil shaver for several months at that point they immediately responded, "oh, ok. Here is the return address" and we amicably parted ways. I wanted it to work but it just didn't. Now my Braun series 3 shaver gives me 98% BBS in less then 10 mins but the back of my neck can't handle it every day without bumping up.

Is anyone here using their electric for head shaving or just their face?
I've recently purchased a Braun Series 7 (model 790) and 14 shaves in, it does a solid job on both my head and face. For me, it is quick (10 minutes for end-to-end shave) and I achieve almost BBS on my head and DFS overall for my face shave, all without the slightest bit of irritation. It isn't a close as using the DE or cartridge razor of my choice, but I'm very pleased with it as a daily driver.

Around the end of 2011 I bought a Norelco AT815. It was at the cheaper end of their waterproof razors. I tried it with some old shave gel I had lying around & got an impressively smooth shave. Normally I'd just dry shave, and every several days, I'd run the head underwater after spraying it with Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner. After drying, I'd spray the cutters with Remington Electric razor lube. I think this procedure greatly extended the life of the cutters, since I got great shaves long after the annual recommended blade replacement date elapsed. When I did finally replace the blades, I upgraded to the HQ9 blades over the original HQ8. The HQ9 have 2 rows of cutters while the other only one.
While I'm shaving with vintage and new DE safety razors now, I'll occasionally fire up the Norelco and shave that one tiny area under my chin that often escapes a smooth shave when I'm in a hurry.

My AT815 still maintains a full charge, and provides the best shave of any electric I've ever owned especially with the blade upgrade.

Around the end of 2011 I bought a Norelco AT815. It was at the cheaper end of their waterproof razors. I tried it with some old shave gel I had lying around & got an impressively smooth shave. Normally I'd just dry shave, and every several days, I'd run the head underwater after spraying it with Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner. After drying, I'd spray the cutters with Remington Electric razor lube. I think this procedure greatly extended the life of the cutters, since I got great shaves long after the annual recommended blade replacement date elapsed. When I did finally replace the blades, I upgraded to the HQ9 blades over the original HQ8. The HQ9 have 2 rows of cutters while the other only one.
While I'm shaving with vintage and new DE safety razors now, I'll occasionally fire up the Norelco and shave that one tiny area under my chin that often escapes a smooth shave when I'm in a hurry.

My AT815 still maintains a full charge, and provides the best shave of any electric I've ever owned especially with the blade upgrade.
Phillips still makes remarkablely tough electric shavers. The first shaver I started with as a teenager was a two headed flip top Norelco in the early 1960s. I used it daily until the early 1970s when I switched to a Ronson foil type shaver which were really Braun shavers made in the US under liscence from Braun. Today’s shavers give closer, faster shaves due to improvements in both materials and technology. Today’s electric shaver’s the only weak point being the rechargeable batteries. All the plug in shavers lasted around ten years replacing the cutters and screens. However, when the batteries began dying in my previous two rechargeable shavers, I had an excuse to buy a new shaver. Of course if I wanted to be very cheap I can still buy a corded lower end model from Braun. :)

Phillips still makes remarkablely tough electric shavers. The first shaver I started with as a teenager was a two headed flip top Norelco in the early 1960s. I used it daily until the early 1970s when I switched to a Ronson foil type shaver which were really Braun shavers made in the US under liscence from Braun. Today’s shavers give closer, faster shaves due to improvements in both materials and technology. Today’s electric shaver’s the only weak point being the rechargeable batteries. All the plug in shavers lasted around ten years replacing the cutters and screens. However, when the batteries began dying in my previous two rechargeable shavers, I had an excuse to buy a new shaver. Of course if I wanted to be very cheap I can still buy a corded lower end model from Braun. :)
That flip top Norelco you mention was the first electric shaver that I could use. Loved that little job , and had it for many years. It felt like a facial massage more than a shaver. Batteries may be more convenient, but also wasteful. Had one of those when in the Air Force as a teenager.In high school I may of had that Robson , not sure, but it would chew up your skin.

That flip top Norelco you mention was the first electric shaver that I could use. Loved that little job , and had it for many years. It felt like a facial massage more than a shaver. Batteries may be more convenient, but also wasteful. Had one of those when in the Air Force as a teenager.In high school I may of had that Robson , not sure, but it would chew up your skin.
The body was a two tone job of gray at the bottom and white at the top. It also came with a soft sided gray zippered case. Yes, the rotary heads were gentle on the skin but didn’t shave as close as the screen type shaver. After ten or more years of shaving with the Norelco I switched to the Ronson which shaved closer when my skin became toughened. Although the basic design of both types of shavers hasn’t changed over the past 50 years, the technology has improved both the heads and cutters of both types. I inherited my 22 yo son’s five year old Norelco and tried it a couple of years ago. It’s one of their lower priced models and didn’t shave as close as either my Panasonic or Braun screen type shavers.

Last edited:
Philips Norelco oneblade, Omega S, Arko tub

Cold water sink shave followed by a shower then some mentholated witch hazel. Fantastic shave, very quick and comfortable but still giving me the experience of a wet shave. Wife definitely approved :)

IMG_20190910_100630843.jpg

I use a Braun or Norelco battery-powered travel shaver all the time to touch up. I tried Panasonic and Remington's in the past but I found them too aggressive.

I do like the less aggressive Norelco's without the lift-and-cut, which tend to produce ingrown hairs (for me).

I'm not a big fan of rechargeable shavers for that reason alone. I either want the travel version, or corded. Since they aren't my primary shaving tool, I don't need the closest shaves (and frankly whenever I have tried for that, they get super-irritating).

Obviously, batteries don’t have an infinite lifespan. My suggestion to avoid irritation is to make sure your face is dry when you shave with an electric.

Obviously, batteries don’t have an infinite lifespan. My suggestion to avoid irritation is to make sure your face is dry when you shave with an electric.

I tried wet shaving in the past with an electric (with the ones it was safe to do so), and while it does produce a closer shave, it wasn't the least bit comfortable.

At most I use Williams Lectric Shave. Keeping the heads lubed also helps alot.

I never tried to shave wet with an electric shaver because it seems to defeat the purpose of electric shaves which is speed and convenience. If I have to wash and lather my face, then I might as well shave with a blade.

I never tried to shave wet with an electric shaver because it seems to defeat the purpose of electric shaves which is speed and convenience. If I have to wash and lather my face, then I might as well shave with a blade.

For me it really depends on the device. With something like my Braun foil shaver I exclusively use it dry before showering, I've tried afta and lectric shave and they never really seemed to help much. If I was really sweaty before shaving and showering, like yard work Sundays or if doing so after work, then I'll just splash on some witch hazel and let it dry to help cleanse my skin. Foil and rotary shavers always seem to grab and tugs hairs and almost stick to my skin when wet shaving with them.

With my Philips oneblade I actually can do a full multi pass wet shave if I wanted too, though it's design of preventing too close of a shave makes this unnecessary.

What I like to do is bulk removal of hair via dry shave with the Philips oneblade and this serves my shaving needs most of the time. I'll look presentable, have no irritation, and pass the wife test for about 4-5 hours (long enough for date night!). If I want to take it a little closer, and maybe pull an extra hour or two out of date night, I'll lather up and do a quick second pass with the Philips oneblade.

I just had my Braun series 3 serviced by Braun and when I get it back I plan on doing an extensive test with it again. I don't think I need (nor want) both a Braun foil and the Philips oneblade around so I want to almost pit them against each other. The Braun has the ability to shave much closer but can possibly cause irritation in the process, the Philips is the complete opposite while still providing a more then satisfactory shave.

For me it really depends on the device. With something like my Braun foil shaver I exclusively use it dry before showering, I've tried afta and lectric shave and they never really seemed to help much. If I was really sweaty before shaving and showering, like yard work Sundays or if doing so after work, then I'll just splash on some witch hazel and let it dry to help cleanse my skin. Foil and rotary shavers always seem to grab and tugs hairs and almost stick to my skin when wet shaving with them.

With my Philips oneblade I actually can do a full multi pass wet shave if I wanted too, though it's design of preventing too close of a shave makes this unnecessary.

What I like to do is bulk removal of hair via dry shave with the Philips oneblade and this serves my shaving needs most of the time. I'll look presentable, have no irritation, and pass the wife test for about 4-5 hours (long enough for date night!). If I want to take it a little closer, and maybe pull an extra hour or two out of date night, I'll lather up and do a quick second pass with the Philips oneblade.

I just had my Braun series 3 serviced by Braun and when I get it back I plan on doing an extensive test with it again. I don't think I need (nor want) both a Braun foil and the Philips oneblade around so I want to almost pit them against each other. The Braun has the ability to shave much closer but can possibly cause irritation in the process, the Philips is the complete opposite while still providing a more then satisfactory shave.
That would be an interesting comparison. Let us know your results.

I use both a blade and electric. I think that's more common than some might imagine.

I use the little Braun Pocket Go or a Philips double head travel razor . I ordered a Philips corded shaver also, their most basic model... as I'm tired of the batteries dying on rechargeables and then I am left with a paperweight. I much prefer the rotary shavers without the lift-and-cut.

The Braun actually works better as a touch-up instrument after a wet shave or to deal with 5 o'clock shadow. Philips, not so much. It likes longer stubble.

Any alcohol based aftershave will work as an electric preshave. If you need added shaver glide add some liquid glycerine to it. Glycerine can be found in the first aid section of most stores.

Clayton

Isopropyl myristate (you can get it at Amazon, makeup artists use it to remove heavy stage makeup from actors) would also be a good choice as it makes aftershave super-smooth. It's what's the main active ingredient in Lectric Shave.

I keep some Lectric Shave around just because I like the convenience, performance, and the fragrance (it's a kind of dark masculine fougere, similar to Barbasol or Skin Bracer). The green tea extract is a nice new feature, as well.

Top Bottom