What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

I don’t dispute your comment because in the five years that I shaved with my Panasonic ES8103 shaver I rinsed it under running water and never applied any type of lubricant nor did the owner’s manual mention lubricant. However, here is the quote from the Braun 7 series owner’s manual. “
If you regularly clean the shaver under water, then once a week apply a drop of light
machine oil (not included) on top of the Foil & Cutter cassette and the long hair trimmer.”

I assume mineral oil would also work. I assume that the Panasonic screens and cutters were stainless steel which wouldn’t rust. Maybe there are parts in the Braun screen/cutter cassette that will rust if not coated with oil after washing the shaver with water.

I've personally had rust develop on the foils of a Braun series 3 shaver head from trying to save a buck and clean it with a non-braun solution. Fortunately one run through the clean and renew station with proper Braun solution took it away.

An interesting observation considering that Braun specifically recommends light machine oil which is on the label of 3 in 1 oil. I have used Remington Shaver-saver in the distant past and found it works very well as I remember.
The Shaversaver also has alcohol in it that will sanitize the foils and cutters. I also use it on my Wahl hair clippers. It's just alot cleaner to use than machine oil.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Your correct Braun recommends oil if using as a wet shaver. Mine came with a small vile of a very thin oil. I have used baby oil on hair clippers and had no problems. There is a spray oil for shavers but have not seen it in the stores.
The vile of oil that is included with Braun Shavers is mineral oil. Baby oil works. Any light food grade oil will work. I use glycerine in my Homemade Braun Cleaning fluid that I use in the cleaning units.

Clayton

I've personally had rust develop on the foils of a Braun series 3 shaver head from trying to save a buck and clean it with a non-braun solution. Fortunately one run through the clean and renew station with proper Braun solution took it away.
I've never had a Braun foil rust. Which non-Braun cleaning solution were you using. I use 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol in my Shaver Shebang solution that I'm trying out this time. It seems to be doing a great job.

Clayton

I've never had a Braun foil rust. Which non-Braun cleaning solution were you using. I use 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol in my Shaver Shebang solution that I'm trying out this time. It seems to be doing a great job.

Clayton

That exact mix right there: 91% iso mixed with shaver shebang. I used it for a few weeks (I clean after each use) then I stopped using my Braun all together for a few weeks. It was left in the base to dry after each cleaning and in the open air during the few weeks of non-use... Came back and found rust. I've done this exact cycle of use then non-use with two other Braun series 3's, a Braun series 7, and a brain series 9 and never had rust ever. The only variable this time was using a non-braun factory solution. Honestly... A 2 pack of Braun cleaning cartridges costs me about $12 at Walmart and I get almost 6 weeks per Cartridge so I'm not going to complain about $48 a year. Especially when $48 a year means no water, blades, creams/soaps, and a 5 min or less near BBS.

Clayton

I’ve never had a Braun shaver foil rust but I’ve Always used them dry. However, I owned a Remington shaver more than five years ago and those cutters would rust quickly as a result of cleaning the shaver wet. The foils never corroded but they didn’t last very long developing holes easily. I don’t remember Remington recommending using any type of lubricant.

The Shaversaver also has alcohol in it that will sanitize the foils and cutters. I also use it on my Wahl hair clippers. It's just alot cleaner to use than machine oil.

Clayton

Why would I want to sanitize the foils or the cutters? I don’t share the shaver with anyone else and the clippings are my own hair. I have been using electric shavers for over 50 years and never had any skin issues or problems from anything growing in the cutter or screens.

Why would I want to sanitize the foils or the cutters? I don’t share the shaver with anyone else and the clippings are my own hair. I have been using electric shavers for over 50 years and never had any skin issues or problems from anything growing in the cutter or screens.

Dont have to wash your socks either... Doesn't mean it's a good idea ;)

I’ve never had a Braun shaver foil rust but I’ve Always used them dry. However, I owned a Remington shaver more than five years ago and those cutters would rust quickly as a result of cleaning the shaver wet. The foils never corroded but they didn’t last very long developing holes easily. I don’t remember Remington recommending using any type of lubricant.
They recomended using a drop of a light oil on the foil and cutters, or a quick spray with the Remington Shaversaver.

Clayton

Basically it's to keep your shaver hygenic, and running in a like new condition.

Clayton

Dont have to wash your socks either... Doesn't mean it's a good idea ;)
Obviously, you wear your cloths all day and cloth is porous which will absorbe your perspiration. Your shaver head is metal which is not porous and doesn’t absorb anything. You are not opening up the skin to germs using an electric shaver as might happen with a blade razor. An electric shaver is more similar to a pair of scissors or hair clippers.

I’m sure that if there was even a remote risk of infection or diseases from not sanitizing your electric shaver, the legal department at Proctor and Gamble would insist that warnings be plastered all over the owner’s manual warning of the dangers if not cleaning the shaver with alcohol daily. We in the United States live in a litigious society where people would be suing the manufacturers for any facial issue they developed. The cleaning station is nothing more than providing you a convenience feature and an opportunity to sell you more stuff rather than for sanitizing the shaver. It doesn’t hurt to use alcohol to clean it if that gives you peace of mind.

I see both sides of the cleaning station argument, but I personally side with Clayton (pro) on this one. I want to properly maintain my equipment, so spending a bit extra to ensure that it is kept in good running order is important to me. As someone who tends to overdo things (aka "kill with kindness"), a process that makes this foolproof is a good thing!

On the other hand, if it turns out to be an expensive proposition long term and causes wear on the shaver, Bob will have the last laugh.

I see both sides of the cleaning station argument, but I personally side with Clayton (pro) on this one. I want to properly maintain my equipment, so spending a bit extra to ensure that it is kept in good running order is important to me. As someone who tends to overdo things (aka "kill with kindness"), a process that makes this foolproof is a good thing!

On the other hand, if it turns out to be an expensive proposition long term and causes wear on the shaver, Bob will have the last laugh.
Properly maintaining the equipment is exactly what I’m doing. According to the Braun owner’s manual it states that if you don’t wet the shaver you can clean it out by tapping the cutter/screen cassette on the sink counter to remove the hairs and use the enclosed brush to brush out the clippings from the top of the shaver. There is no mention of sanitizing it with alcohol or anything else.
“Cleaning with a brush
• Switch off the shaver. Remove the Foil & Cutter cassette (1) and tap it out on a flat
surface. Using a brush, clean the inner area of the pivoting head. However, do not clean the cassette with the brush as this may damage it.”

I have had a least 3 or 4 electric shavers , and never used or need a cleaning station. In my opinion just a gimmick to make more profit. Have to completely agree with Flyboybob. And comparing dirty socks with an electric shaver as not valid. Sweaty stinky socks , no comparison. If the shaver comes with the cleaning station, I don’t think I would buy it. Just another waste of plastic and cleaning solutions. Let see what we can sell to the gullible public , the mantra of the big cooperations.

I have had a least 3 or 4 electric shavers , and never used or need a cleaning station. In my opinion just a gimmick to make more profit. Have to completely agree with Flyboybob. And comparing dirty socks with an electric shaver as not valid. Sweaty stinky socks , no comparison. If the shaver comes with the cleaning station, I don’t think I would buy it. Just another waste of plastic and cleaning solutions. Let see what we can sell to the gullible public , the mantra of the big cooperations.
Regardless of the cleaning station your electric shaver doesn’t require surgical sterilization or even sanitizing to be clean. However, if it makes you happy to rinse the head with water, alcohol, witch hazel or whatever it won’t hurt the cutters or the screens. It probably wouldn’t hurt to put the metal parts in an autoclave which is overkill.

Having been in the aviation business for over 40 years I follow the recommendations and procedures developed by the manufacturer. They engineered the product and if they thought sanitizing it was required they would state it in their owner’s manual. If there was a health risk by not sanitizing your shaver the manufaturer’s legal department would require the owner’s manual to describe the best procedure to sanitize it. Until electric shavers were waterproof, which led to selling cleaning stations, no one recommended cleaning an electric shaver other than brushing out the cuttings. Both Braun and Phillips have been selling electric shavers since the end of WWII without any mention of sanitizing their shavers and therefore it’s obviously not an issue.

With the foils and cutters being assembled together on the Series 7-9, it has been proven that the cleaning unit does clean them better than tapping and brushing, or rinsing them under the faucet. Plus it charges and stores the shaver.

Clayton

With the foils and cutters being assembled together on the Series 7-9, it has been proven that the cleaning unit does clean them better than tapping and brushing, or rinsing them under the faucet. Plus it charges and stores the shaver.

Clayton

I’ve not had or seen the series 7 - 9 Braun, so I will have to keep an open mind on the cleaning station. I would have to further check on the value of said subject.But as of now I am not sold on it.

Clayton

Hi Clayton,

Obviously, a cleaning station does charge the shaver and provides a place to put it during the other 23 hours and fifty five minutes of the day. When Braun switched to a single unit cassette to include both the cutters and the screens it makes it more difficult to complexly clean which probably sells more cleaning stations. Thie real question is how clean is necessary. After each shave I inspect the cassette and can’t see anything remaining in the cassette after tapping it on the counter.

I’m very suspicious whenever someone says that something has been proven, It begs the question, proven by whom and by what methodology. I don’t think that a major university conducted a study to compare how clean a Braun shaver cassette becomes after cleaning with the cleaning station compared to the other methods described in the owner’s manual. The question then becomes how clean is necessary for your health. When I was using my Panasonic 8103 shaver I rinsed the head under running water weekly. With the Braun I clean out the cuttings daily because if I waited until the end of the week the cuttings leaked out through the screen into the travel case because I store the shaver in the case. Was shaving for six days with an accumulation of the cuttings left in the head a health hazard? An electric shaver is not a surgical instrument requiring sterility. Its more similar to a pair of scissors or a trimmer.

If using the cleaning station makes you happy then continue enjoying it. Personally, I think it’s overkill, wastes energy, takes up valuable counter space, and requires buying cleaning fluid. The primary advantage is that it leaves the shaver head smelling nice. Frankly, my shaver’s head has no odor at all which probably means nothing bad is growing inside.

Last edited:
Hi Clayton,

Obviously, a cleaning station does charge the shaver and provides a place to put it during the other 23 hours and fifty five minutes of the day. When Braun switched to a single unit cassette to include both the cutters and the screens it makes it more difficult to complexly clean which probably sells more cleaning stations. Thie real question is how clean is necessary. After each shave I inspect the cassette and can’t see anything remaining in the cassette after tapping it on the counter.

I’m very suspicious whenever someone says that something has been proven, It begs the question, proven by whom and by what methodology. I don’t think that a major university conducted a study to compare how clean a Braun shaver cassette becomes after cleaning with the cleaning station compared to the other methods described in the owner’s manual. The question then becomes how clean is necessary for your health. When I was using my Panasonic 8103 shaver I rinsed the head under running water weekly. With the Braun I clean out the cuttings daily because if I waited until the end of the week the cuttings leaked out through the screen into the travel case because I store the shaver in the case. Was shaving for six days with an accumulation of the cuttings left in the head a health hazard? An electric shaver is not a surgical instrument requiring sterility. Its more similar to a pair of scissors or a trimmer.

If using the cleaning station makes you happy then continue enjoying it. Personally, I think it’s overkill, wastes energy, takes up valuable counter space, and requires buying cleaning fluid. The primary advantage is that it leaves the shaver head smelling nice. Frankly, my shaver’s head has no odor at all which probably means nothing bad is growing inside.
I use a cleaning cartridge for a year before it get's thrown out. So I buy a 2-pack from Walmart every 2-years for around $12. Alcohol for my homemade solution is under 2 bucks a bottle and will do enough refills for 9 months. A refill lasts me around three months. 4 packets of Shaver Shebang cost around $12 and will last for 36 months. The cleaning unit takes up minimal space on my small bathroom vanity. If it wastes energy I don't see it on the monthly bill. Actually the bill's been going down lately. What's gonna hurt is shelling out cash for a replacement shaving head for the Series-9 here in about a year. I did notice the prices are coming down from where they were. I can get one now for about $45 online. Just thought I'ed share about what my costs are.

Clayton

I use a cleaning cartridge for a year before it get's thrown out. So I buy a 2-pack from Walmart every 2-years for around $12. Alcohol for my homemade solution is under 2 bucks a bottle and will do enough refills for 9 months. A refill lasts me around three months. 4 packets of Shaver Shebang cost around $12 and will last for 36 months. The cleaning unit takes up minimal space on my small bathroom vanity. If it wastes energy I don't see it on the monthly bill. Actually the bill's been going down lately. What's gonna hurt is shelling out cash for a replacement shaving head for the Series-9 here in about a year. I did notice the prices are coming down from where they were. I can get one now for about $45 online. Just thought I'ed share about what my costs are.

Clayton

Hi Clayton,
If using the cleaning station makes you happy then no amount of money spent or not spent would matter. Enjoy yourself using your cleaning station.

According to my Braun owner’s manual the cutter/cassette should last 18 months. The shaver comes with a warning light indicating when the cutter requires replacing. I’m assuming it keeps track of the date to calculate when to illuminate. I will see if the cassette requires replacement based on the quality of the shave.

I never replaced the cutters nor the screens on 5 year old Panasonic ES8103 shaver. The cutters were beginning to get dull when I bought the Braun shaver. Regardless a 7 series replacement cassette is available on Amazon for $27 U.S. which seems reasonable. Panasonic was very proud of their cutters and screens which were nearly $50 to replace. Hopefully the quality of the shaves and the condition of the screens will dictate when to replace the cassette. Has anyone gotten 18 months of use from a series 7 cassette? Is the same 18 month replacement recommended for the series 9 shavers?

Last edited:
Top Bottom