What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

Any alcohol based aftershave will work as an electric preshave. If you need added shaver glide add some liquid glycerine to it. Glycerine can be found in the first aid section of most stores.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

According to the Braun website, your battery should last an hour or one week of shaving. If the red light illuminated that’s just what’s advertised for battery life. The series seven advertises 50 minutes of battery on one charge. Regardless, I guess my shave takes about five minutes but I haven’t timed it.

Any alcohol based aftershave will work as an electric preshave. If you need added shaver glide add some liquid glycerine to it. Glycerine can be found in the first aid section of most stores.

Clayton

Is that cheaper or better than just buying a bottle of Williams Lectric shave or the store brand version?

Braun Series1 190-s
upload_2019-7-21_19-58-41.png

I tried some Boots Freshwood Electric Pre-Shave today. I believe the shave was a little bit closer than without it. But MAN, what a hellish smell. I scrubbed my face after the shave to try and get rid of it. The bulk of it went but it's still lingering, even through my wonderful Proraso Red ASL.

I chucked the once used bottle of preshave out immediately. All the fans are on. I'm just going to take a walk and hope the outside air will kill it off. The top notes out of the bottle didn't seem that bad, but once it settled on my skin... YUCK! :cursing:

Braun Series1 190-s
View attachment 1000915

I tried some Boots Freshwood Electric Pre-Shave today. I believe the shave was a little bit closer than without it. But MAN, what a hellish smell. I scrubbed my face after the shave to try and get rid of it. The bulk of it went but it's still lingering, even through my wonderful Proraso Red ASL.

I chucked the once used bottle of preshave out immediately. All the fans are on. I'm just going to take a walk and hope the outside air will kill it off. The top notes out of the bottle didn't seem that bad, but once it settled on my skin... YUCK! :cursing:
For some unknown reason I am NOT a fan of fragrances. I don’t like aftershave, cologne nor preshave with fragrance and I don’t enjoy it when my daughter puts on too much perfume. Before Nothing is more annoying than to pass a woman in an enclosed space that reeks of fragrance.

For some unknown reason I am NOT a fan of fragrances. I don’t like aftershave, cologne nor preshave with fragrance and I don’t enjoy it when my daughter puts on too much perfume. Before Nothing is more annoying than to pass a woman in an enclosed space that reeks of fragrance.
:laugh: I don't mind fragrances as long as they're pleasing to my nose and on the subtle side Bob. But I certainly know where you're coming from.

:detective: I do suspect that you may be leading a sheltered life though (with the enclosed space talk). I've often been nearly knocked over by the approaching scent of "ladies" at five yards out in the open. :crazy:

Is that cheaper or better than just buying a bottle of Williams Lectric shave or the store brand version?
I think it's cheaper in the long run plus you don't have to rinse it off. It works great when you need a quick get out the door shave.

Clayton

Some people do over do it.

Clayton

Today I used my Braun 340 as a wet shaver for the first time . I used Barbasol can cream with a splash of water first. Was surprised how well it worked , I being a dry shaver forever. The Barbasol being very water soluble cleans out of the razor easily. Plus the razor glides across the skin effortlessly. Might be sold on this new method .

Today I used my Braun 340 as a wet shaver for the first time . I used Barbasol can cream with a splash of water first. Was surprised how well it worked , I being a dry shaver forever. The Barbasol being very water soluble cleans out of the razor easily. Plus the razor glides across the skin effortlessly. Might be sold on this new method .
Wow! Thanks for the report. I haven’t tried using my Braun 7 series wet but might give it a try. Of course I will have to get some shaving cream and machine oil. The only downside I see is the extra time required and having to allow the shaver to dry on the sink counter with the cutter/screen cassette separated from the body of the shaver.

Wow! Thanks for the report. I haven’t tried using my Braun 7 series wet but might give it a try. Of course I will have to get some shaving cream and machine oil. The only downside I see is the extra time required and having to allow the shaver to dry on the sink counter with the cutter/screen cassette separated from the body of the shaver.
This really worked for me . I was really surprised how well . I have tried Williams and such , don’t like the oil feel and it makes the shaver harder to clean. I was a confirmed dry electric shaver ,my thoughts have changed maybe ? I don’t no if a gel would be as good. But the Barbasol worked real good.

This really worked for me . I was really surprised how well . I have tried Williams and such , don’t like the oil feel and it makes the shaver harder to clean. I was a confirmed dry electric shaver ,my thoughts have changed maybe ? I don’t no if a gel would be as good. But the Barbasol worked real good.
My only concern would be the time factor. Currently, I get up on weekday mornings and shave before showering. The entire process takes no more that five or six minutes with minimal thought. Having to wet my face, apply the shaving cream and rinsing the shaver all require more time, more energy and more high level thought. Were your results in closeness worth the extra time and effort?

My only concern would be the time factor. Currently, I get up on weekday mornings and shave before showering. The entire process takes no more that five or six minutes with minimal thought. Having to wet my face, apply the shaving cream and rinsing the shaver all require more time, more energy and more high level thought. Were your results in closeness worth the extra time and effort?
The difference in time is negligible. Just a little water splashed on my face , then a small amount of Barbasol for lubrication . Rinse you razor once or twice while shaving , and a quick rinse at the end. The razor just glides on the cream , less friction. It takes no longer than using Williams Electric Shave. Give it a try.

Use mineral oil, or Remington Shaversaver. 3-1 machine oil tends to gum things up and cause the motor to run harder.

Clayton

I'm still going strong with my Philips Norelco oneblade and my Braun series 3. I'm usually shaving my head and face so I'm trying to find the "one best tool" to do it all, which is difficult. All in all they are both great. The Braun gives me what I call 98% BBS however if I use it too frequently without a break I will get irritation. The Philips Norelco oneblade cuts close enough for daily use but not 'date night' and is a pain to get a smooth headshave with.

Use mineral oil, or Remington Shaversaver. 3-1 machine oil tends to gum things up and cause the motor to run harder.

Clayton

An interesting observation considering that Braun specifically recommends light machine oil which is on the label of 3 in 1 oil. I have used Remington Shaver-saver in the distant past and found it works very well as I remember.

An interesting observation considering that Braun specifically recommends light machine oil which is on the label of 3 in 1 oil. I have used Remington Shaver-saver in the distant past and found it works very well as I remember.
I have read over the years that the 3 in 1 is not recommended for shavers. It’s just to heavy for that purpose.

I have read over the years that the 3 in 1 is not recommended for shavers. It’s just to heavy for that purpose.
I don’t dispute your comment because in the five years that I shaved with my Panasonic ES8103 shaver I rinsed it under running water and never applied any type of lubricant nor did the owner’s manual mention lubricant. However, here is the quote from the Braun 7 series owner’s manual. “
If you regularly clean the shaver under water, then once a week apply a drop of light
machine oil (not included) on top of the Foil & Cutter cassette and the long hair trimmer.”

I assume mineral oil would also work. I assume that the Panasonic screens and cutters were stainless steel which wouldn’t rust. Maybe there are parts in the Braun screen/cutter cassette that will rust if not coated with oil after washing the shaver with water.

I don’t dispute your comment because in the five years that I shaved with my Panasonic ES8103 shaver I rinsed it under running water and never applied any type of lubricant nor did the owner’s manual mention lubricant. However, here is the quote from the Braun 7 series owner’s manual. “
If you regularly clean the shaver under water, then once a week apply a drop of light
machine oil (not included) on top of the Foil & Cutter cassette and the long hair trimmer.”

I assume mineral oil would also work. I assume that the Panasonic screens and cutters were stainless steel which wouldn’t rust. Maybe there are parts in the Braun screen/cutter cassette that will rust if not coated with oil after washing the shaver with water.
Your correct Braun recommends oil if using as a wet shaver. Mine came with a small vile of a very thin oil. I have used baby oil on hair clippers and had no problems. There is a spray oil for shavers but have not seen it in the stores.

Top Bottom