What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

Thanks for your terrific explanation. I shave daily so having the extra flat and finishing cutters probably doesn’t matter. Occasionally, I have gone several days when I was sick without shaving. I must not have flat hair issues because my Braun nor it’s predecessor has not had a problem giving me a great close shave. From your explanation I won’t be spending any more for a replacement shaver than the Panasonic ES8103 or the Braun seven series or their replacements.
:thumbup:

Well, for practical purposes, any Braun (including the S9 series), has only two foil (screen) cutters, which are now located in the head cassette rather than the razor body. The addition of the center flat cutters (now up to two in the S9) was due to shavers complaining that the foils didn't pick up longer hairs (which they didn't), thus the creation of a head that would mow down any reasonable growth in one pass. This evolved over several iterations, ending with the current Pro series which arguably does the best job of trimming longer growth than any previous head design (and I concur). Easy to resolve otherwise by not waiting a week to shave with an electric (which still are designed around a daily shave for optimum performance), but the center cutters do a reasonable job. Even the venerable Series 7 has a center cutter for this very reason (so actually three cutters). The Panasonic Arc 5 series only have two cutters attached to the shaver body (powering the center foils, with the outboard foils powered by cutters located in the detachable head - four foils and one center cutter, hence the "5" in Arc 5). The center foils arguably do most of the work, with the outer "finishing" foils polishing off any hair not trimmed close enough by the center foils, with the center flat trimmer serving the same purpose as Braun's. For those who shave daily, it probably doesn't matter, and most of the head real estate in the more advanced models probably is wasted. But it's nice to have a backup set of cutters if you do wait a day or two, or only regularly shave once every few days, because the multi-cutter heads really do provide a closer trim than just a single (mostly on travel shavers now) or dual foil.

I found my series 7 shaver missed hair on the throat area. Couldn't see it until several days of growth had accumulated. No such issue with the Norelco. Unfortunately the Norelco isn't that comfortable to shave with.

I found my series 7 shaver missed hair on the throat area. Couldn't see it until several days of growth had accumulated. No such issue with the Norelco. Unfortunately the Norelco isn't that comfortable to shave with.

I’ve never had that problem with my Braun 7 series shaver. I usually shave daily, but earlier in the year I was working from home and ai didn’t shave for a few days with no issues. I haven’t used a Norelco shaver since 1973 so I wouldn’t know if it’s comfortable or not. I can’t remember and Phillips/Norelco has made a lot of changes since the last time I used one of their shavers.

c6b43690e8cea6b1a59e597956bc039c.jpg

A fast, easy and comfy shave as usual in the evening. Aces!

Last week I broke down and replaced the screen and cutter cassette on my Braun 7893s shaver. I was still using the original one which I purchased in April 2019. I have to admit that the reason I changed it was because the shaves were not getting as close as they were before. Obviously, Braun recommends replacing the cassette every 18 months and illuminates a light when that time has passed as a reminder. Being frugal, I kept using the shaver until I was dissatisfied with the closeness of the shaves. That was three years and four months on the original cassette. The shave closeness began to deteriorate around April.

Others will obviously get different results because of the thickness of their beard and number of times they shave in a day. I only shaved in the mornings. The replacement cassette was only $34 from Amazon which is not too expensive. I intend to use the new one as I did the old one, until the quality of the shave decreases regardless of the time.

And another Philips shave in the tank....

View attachment 1511291
Is that the corded 9820 model or the wireless 9860 model? I have recently bought the 9860 model of this shaver and have started to wonder if it has a broken motion sensor since the display will not light up on mine when picking it up. Only time it does is when picking it up from the charge pad but I have now read reviews stating their lights up to show the charge percentage every time they touch it. So I wonder if you can confirm if yours behave in this way, do it light up when you lift it up?

Is that the corded 9820 model or the wireless 9860 model? I have recently bought the 9860 model of this shaver and have started to wonder if it has a broken motion sensor since the display will not light up on mine when picking it up. Only time it does is when picking it up from the charge pad but I have now read reviews stating their lights up to show the charge percentage every time they touch it. So I wonder if you can confirm if yours behave in this way, do it light up when you lift it up?
The cordless model, and it varies on the amount of movement needed to activate it, but picking it up will reveal the charge. That's the point of not having a physical lock, so it doesn't activate unless you actually use it.

The cordless model, and it varies on the amount of movement needed to activate it, but picking it up will reveal the charge. That's the point of not having a physical lock, so it doesn't activate unless you actually use it.
This must mean then that the motion sensor in my 9860 is broken since it does not turn on regardless of how much I move it. I guess then that I will return it and get a new one😦

Top Bottom