What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

Hey Cal Seeing this thread brought back some electric moments. The electric was my daily ride. A face and head shave was required for my work situation for the last few years in the 90’s. I was happy to stop using it when I could. It was pressed into service again during two different hospital stays for knee replacements in 2009 & 10. I consider electric razors lifeboats I really hate the thought of using one but glad they are there as a short term alternative. I had to remove some dust for the photo. That was a good thing.View attachment 1080072

I’ve used preshave powder stick when I was younger. Before having central AC I needed the preshave powder stick to dry and lubricant my face.

I had great success with a Panasonic ES8103 shaver before buying the Braun. I used it daily for five years and was going to buy another ES8103 until I came across the Braun in Costco. Besides the Panasonic giving me a close and comfortable shave, the screens and the cutters were the original ones regardless that Panasonic recommends replacing them annually. However, the quality of the shaves only began to suffer in the last month which is also when the battery began to not hold a full charge for a week. The only problem I had with it was that the trimmer stopped working after the third year. Fortunately me son grew a beard and gave me his old Norelco shaver whose trimmer still worked. Panasonic is very proud of their replacement parts. The cutters and screens cost nearly $50 and I could replace the entire shaver on Amazon for $65.

Some members on this site report that Panasonic shavers give a closer shave than Braun but are not as comfortable to the skin. I never thought that the comfort of the Panasonic was not any different than the Braun.
Well my Ark4 seems to be as close as the Ark5 but with less irritation for me. I have a Braun Series 5 that I’ve had mixed results with. But even my Arc4 leaves me with a delayed irritation unfortunately. Still haven’t found an electric that gets me a result comparable to a straight razor or a DE but I’m still experimenting. Thanks

I’ve used preshave powder stick when I was younger. Before having central AC I needed the preshave powder stick to dry and lubricant my face.
I’ve used Williams Lectric Shave, Electric Razor Pre-Shave, Original. Only on the days my skin could handle the drying alcohol. I always required one or the other. They did bring added comfort to a -CCS shave. Electric razors are good tools but have always been the wrong fit for my skin.

Well my Ark4 seems to be as close as the Ark5 but with less irritation for me. I have a Braun Series 5 that I’ve had mixed results with. But even my Arc4 leaves me with a delayed irritation unfortunately. Still haven’t found an electric that gets me a result comparable to a straight razor or a DE but I’m still experimenting. Thanks

If you are having a delayed reaction, that may be due to your pressing too hard with the shaver or not having your face perfectly dry before shaving. I always shave with the electric shaver first thing when I get up before showering or washing my face. That will allow the head of the shaver to smoothly clip the beard without dragging on your moist skin. Additionally, going over the same part of your face several times and in different directions with a light touch will provide better results. If that doesn’t help try a preshave liquid such as Williams L’ectric shave or a preshave powder. Another idea is to use a non alcoholic after shave lotion. I just shower right after shaving.

Also, do you switch back and forth between the electric and a blade? If you go back and forth, you need to shave daily sticking with the electric for at least a couple of weeks to acclimate your beard and your face to the electric shaver.

Regardless which kind of electric shaver you use you will always get a closer shave with a razor blade because the blade comes in direct contact with your skin. The advantages of electric shaving is speed and convenience without cutting yourself. I can shave and clean the shaver in about 5 minutes.

I’ve used Williams Lectric Shave, Electric Razor Pre-Shave, Original. Only on the days my skin could handle the drying alcohol. I always required one or the other. They did bring added comfort to a -CCS shave. Electric razors are good tools but have always been the wrong fit for my skin.

The answer is very simple, electric shavers are not for everyone.

11042020.jpg

Full face and head shave with 35€ Xiaomi Mija electric shaver. This was wet shave with shaving gel.

I shave dry and use the brush to clean out the small amount of cuttings from the top of the shaver after removing the cutter/screen cassette. I clean the cassette by tapping it on the counter onto a piece of tissue paper. This method is described in the owner’s manual and doesn’t require using oil on the screen nor trimmer. Braun warns against using the brush on the screen.

My assumption is that Braun designed their shavers to be used with a cleaning station where the shaver is either being used or placed into the cleaning station. They still provide a travel case which I use to store my shaver at home or on the road. Not having the plastic cap has not been a problem even while traveling.

I think Braun's philosophy for a number of years is that the shaver is either in the case, in the cleaning station, or in your hand. None of which require a protective cap.

View attachment 1085336
Full face and head shave with 35€ Xiaomi Mija electric shaver. This was wet shave with shaving gel.

This is a brand that I had never heard of. Here’s an interesting review which explains that the cutter system comes from a cooperation with Remington.

Glad to hear your great results. Have you tried shaving with it dry?

Yes, I did know of cooperation with Remington. Xiaomi is a big company producing large variety of home electronics from smartphones to smart home gadgets.
Yes I also tried shaving try, but I get better results with lather.

Where is Xiaomi from? Before I bought my Panasonic shaver I owned a Remington screen type and was not pleased and would not ever purchase another. Is it a new shaver?

It a Chinese razor I bought a year ago. Use it occationally two-three times in month. I like it can get a decent shave from it.

can you get replacement blades for this? how often needed. and truly bbs good for head shaving?
Yes, replacement blades are available from Ali. How often needed - don't know. I have this machine for little over a year. I do occational shavings with it - 2-3 times a month. No signs of getting blades dull.
Definitely getting longer lasting bbs shave from DE or shavette. But I get more predictable comfortable results with this electric razor.

Interestingly, after only 13 months my Braun 7 series shaver’s “Replace Cassette” warning light illuminated. The owner’s manual states that the light should illuminate after approximately 18 months. I’m not sure how the shaver determines the sharpness of the cutters or the condition of the screens. The quality of my shaves hasn’t changed at all. Has anyone else had the same experience? The instructions states that after seven shaves the light will reset itself. There is a reset button which can reset the light when changing the cassette.

I’m going to keep using the cassette that came with the shaver until I can tell a change in the quality or closeness of the shaves.

Interesting - I always reset the cassette on any new shaver just to be sure I'm at baseline new. You should be fine waiting for some performance reduction.

Interesting - I always reset the cassette on any new shaver just to be sure I'm at baseline new. You should be fine waiting for some performance reduction.

Do you mean that you reset the system indicator when you buy a new shaver and not replace the new cassette? My guess is that the indicator light is just counting numbers of shaves before illuminating. How else could it determine when the cutters or screens are worn? Basically, this is another feature that I could live without along with the three colored settings designed to adjust the speed of the motor to adjust aggressiveness. Regardless which setting it makes no difference in the quality of the shave that I can discern. I just leave it in the ‘Green’ mode which is the most aggressive setting.

Braun’s new shavers have an automatic aggressiveness adjustment using a sensor that determines the thickness of your beard to adjust the speed. I would be interested in finding out from the members who have purchased 2020 shavers that feature and if it works any better than the manual version on my shaver.

Do you mean that you reset the system indicator when you buy a new shaver and not replace the new cassette? My guess is that the indicator light is just counting numbers of shaves before illuminating. How else could it determine when the cutters or screens are worn? Basically, this is another feature that I could live without along with the three colored settings designed to adjust the speed of the motor to adjust aggressiveness. Regardless which setting it makes no difference in the quality of the shave that I can discern. I just leave it in the ‘Green’ mode which is the most aggressive setting.

Braun’s new shavers have an automatic aggressiveness adjustment using a sensor that determines the thickness of your beard to adjust the speed. I would be interested in finding out from the members who have purchased 2020 shavers that feature and if it works any better than the manual version on my shaver.

Well... I would chime in about that new series 6 I spoke about but by the time I went to submit the order it was sold out so I ended up with a new series 7 7865cc! It was my favorite of all the Electrics I've tried so far so I figured I might as well spend a little more and get what I really want.

Last edited:
Well... I would chime in about that new series 6 I spoke about but by the time I when to submit the order it was sold out so I ended up with a new series 7 7865cc! It was my favorite of all the Electrics I've tried so far so I figured I might as well spend a little more and get what I really want.

I agree that getting what you want is worth spending a little more money. Obviously, from your reply you are very happy with your shaver so the automatic speed adjustment either works very well or doesn’t make any difference. Keep us apprised of how it performs down the road.

I agree that getting what you want is worth spending a little more money. Obviously, from your reply you are very happy with your shaver so the automatic speed adjustment either works very well or doesn’t make any difference. Keep us apprised of how it performs down the road.

I always liked full... Speed? Power? You know what I mean haha. If I had to touch up later or found I needed to hit my sensitive neck again to really put that finishing touch on a shave I would take it all the way down to it's lowest setting. It could be placebo but I did find I could send a little extra time on my sensitive areas without discomfort, not saying that I really experience discomfort anyway but every body has an area that they can push a little too hard if not being careful. All of the settings in-between highest and lowest seem pointless to me, I wish instead of a +/- it was just an on/off button for the 'sensitive' mode.

Not sure what to do with my series 3. I don't need 2 shavers and I don't travel enough to necessitate a back up nor do I have any kids or family members to pass it off to. My wife recently made a comment of, "I wish I could just shave my legs dry like you and not waste all this shower water" so maybe I'll give it to her to try.

Top Bottom