What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

@Flyboybob & @magoo75 I actually have a significant amount of experience with most of Braun's portfolio from the last decade, less these new 'easy clean' models of course and I appreciate your advice. My problem with the series 5 is the cleaning station is too big (as big as my series 9, doesn't fit my bathroom's usable area and I'm not remodeling for a shaver lol) and I'm looking at the models without pivot. My series 7 was really nice in that it was small in the hand but a tank, I do regret getting rid of that. I always liked my series 3 models and they are cheap to maintain, that's why I was looking at those again. Amazon has the Japanese import 3050cc shaver with cleaning station for only $64 new after a sale and coupon... That's tempting. Also, it's a cool red color not normally sold in the US haha. The series 3 and 7 share the same small base footprint and similar smaller hand feel. The 7's occasionally go on sale for around $100 with the base which is a great deal. I've seen the 7's with base at Marshall's and tj Maxx for $75, I have another 10% due to a family employee discount.

The new Series 5, 6 and 7 cleaning station is smaller then the old 5 and 9 series, it's like the old Series 7 station.

The new 5, 6 and series 7 shavers are now on Brauns website, Electric Shavers for Men | Braun US - https://us.braun.com/en-us/male-grooming/shavers-for-men, all 3 still can still be had with the cleaning station, I have a Series 3 shaver also and the new Series 6 that I have shaves much better then the 3, I like the ergonomics of the new Series, easier to hold, as for the shave I would say it shave as well as the old Series 7, the new Series 6 is suppose to be the shave for people with sensitive skin, it is a very comfortable shaver and the price is right at $99 if you don't need the cleaning station.
I just tried your link and nothing came up. My series 7 is not uncomfortable to hold but the Panasonic ES8103 was slightly more comfortable to hold. I don’t know how much more comfortable the series 6 could be versus the series 7 I’m using. I don’t understand the value of having the new series 7 head rotate 360 degrees other than competing with Phillips Norelco shavers. However, I don’t understand many things such as the value of a cleaning station or wet shaving with an electric shaver.

I just tried your link and nothing came up. My series 7 is not uncomfortable to hold but the Panasonic ES8103 was slightly more comfortable to hold. I don’t know how much more comfortable the series 6 could be versus the series 7 I’m using. I don’t understand the value of having the new series 7 head rotate 360 degrees other than competing with Phillips Norelco shavers. However, I don’t understand many things such as the value of a cleaning station or wet shaving with an electric shaver.

Hmm, the link works for me and Brauns website is up and running and I have no trouble viewing it.

Well, the nylon brush honestly I wouldn't miss that much, except for cleaning cutters (which I guess they want to phase out anyways), but they need to explain the lack of protective cap.

I shave dry and use the brush to clean out the small amount of cuttings from the top of the shaver after removing the cutter/screen cassette. I clean the cassette by tapping it on the counter onto a piece of tissue paper. This method is described in the owner’s manual and doesn’t require using oil on the screen nor trimmer. Braun warns against using the brush on the screen.

My assumption is that Braun designed their shavers to be used with a cleaning station where the shaver is either being used or placed into the cleaning station. They still provide a travel case which I use to store my shaver at home or on the road. Not having the plastic cap has not been a problem even while traveling.

Panasonic ES-LF 51, with which I am disappointed. After two years, the lithium rechargeable batteries hardly hold a charge. Since the foils/cutters are also wearing out, I may well scrap it.

Attachments

• P1000243.JPG
    P1000243.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 7
Panasonic ES-LF 51, with which I am disappointed. After two years, the lithium rechargeable batteries hardly hold a charge. Since the foils/cutters are also wearing out, I may well scrap it.

Well, that's not terrible timing as 2020 seems to be the year of new Electric shavers, Braun just released 3 new models today and I hear Philips and Panasonic have some new stuff in the works coming out any time now. Two years is pretty short, I assume that is just passed their warranty but I would still ask them if this is normal expected battery life. They probably won't replace it but that information may help in your next purchase decision.

The battery doesn’t surprise me as some last longer than others. However, I was able to get almost five years out of the screens and cutters. Have the screens developed holes or tears. Has the shaver began having to go over the same area on your face numerous times to get a close shave? If so then the cutters are wearing out. Panasonic sells the cutters separately from the screens and they are about thirty dollars.

The battery doesn’t surprise me as some last longer than others. However, I was able to get almost five years out of the screens and cutters. Have the screens developed holes or tears. Has the shaver began having to go over the same area on your face numerous times to get a close shave? If so then the cutters are wearing out. Panasonic sells the cutters separately from the screens and they are about thirty dollars.

As you say, I find myself going over the same area too often. Furthermore, the shaver has begun to pull.

If the battery wasn't going out too, I probably would spring for new cutters. As it is, I'll have to think about it. I'm a big fan of sustainability, but not when it starts to become uneconomical.

Well, that's not terrible timing as 2020 seems to be the year of new Electric shavers, Braun just released 3 new models today and I hear Philips and Panasonic have some new stuff in the works coming out any time now. Two years is pretty short, I assume that is just passed their warranty but I would still ask them if this is normal expected battery life. They probably won't replace it but that information may help in your next purchase decision.

Thank you for the good advice. I will indeed turn to Panasonic. The strange thing is that I've got another Panasonic, made in China, Model ES-RT 67, three years old, which is still going strong, and only cost only half a much as the ES-LF 51, made in Japan. Kind of makes me wonder.

If I do need a new shaver, I might have a look at Philips. I can't get excited about Braun since the days of Bill, Gugelot and Rams are over. Most of the newer models look as though they were designed by a committee.

Thank you for the good advice. I will indeed turn to Panasonic. The strange thing is that I've got another Panasonic, made in China, Model ES-RT 67, three years old, which is still going strong, and only cost only half a much as the ES-LF 51, made in Japan. Kind of makes me wonder.

If I do need a new shaver, I might have a look at Philips. I can't get excited about Braun since the days of Bill, Gugelot and Rams are over. Most of the newer models look as though they were designed by a committee.
Maybe I’m missing something about Braun. What and who is Bill, Gugelot and Rams? Do you know the definition of a camel? It’s a horse designed by a committee. 😂

Maybe it has a different battery. NIMH batteries can have a decently long lifespan. They just can't discharge alot of amperage quickly.

Maybe I’m missing something about Braun. What and who is Bill, Gugelot and Rams? Do you know the definition of a camel? It’s a horse designed by a committee. 😂

Max Bill (Swiss), Hans Gugelot (Dutch) and Dieter Rams (German) were the designers responsible for the iconic Braun shavers of the fifties, sixties, seventies and maybe eighties - objects to be found in every design museum in the world - including the Museum of Modern Art in New York. I recently visited a Max Bill exhibit in his home town, Winterthur, Switzerland.

Max Bill (Swiss), Hans Gugelot (Dutch) and Dieter Rams (German) were the designers responsible for the iconic Braun shavers of the fifties, sixties, seventies and maybe eighties - objects to be found in every design museum in the world - including the Museum of Modern Art in New York. I recently visited a Max Bill exhibit in his home town, Winterthur, Switzerland.

Yup, what he said. Beat me to it

Braun Series1 190s
View attachment 988769

As I couldn't find one of these "what did you use today" threads for ELECTRICS, I thought I'd start one.

Please post pics if you can (we LOVE pics) and include any other gear you may have used for your SOTD. Obviously "wet electric shavers" will have more ancillaries than "dry electric shavers."

And don't forget to add anything you may want to chat about (with relation to your shave and razor).

FOOTNOTE
Another reason for starting this thread was to show Marcus @mjclark how far off the rails I'd fallen. :letterk1: :laugh:
Hey Cal Seeing this thread brought back some electric moments. The electric was my daily ride. A face and head shave was required for my work situation for the last few years in the 90’s. I was happy to stop using it when I could. It was pressed into service again during two different hospital stays for knee replacements in 2009 & 10. I consider electric razors lifeboats I really hate the thought of using one but glad they are there as a short term alternative. I had to remove some dust for the photo. That was a good thing.
657FE63D-C04E-4123-B473-048F8664D9DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Panasonic ES8243A wet/dry.
View attachment 1080053View attachment 1080054
The head has a slimmer profile in real life vs how it may appear in the photo. Thanks

I had great success with a Panasonic ES8103 shaver before buying the Braun. I used it daily for five years and was going to buy another ES8103 until I came across the Braun in Costco. Besides the Panasonic giving me a close and comfortable shave, the screens and the cutters were the original ones regardless that Panasonic recommends replacing them annually. However, the quality of the shaves only began to suffer in the last month which is also when the battery began to not hold a full charge for a week. The only problem I had with it was that the trimmer stopped working after the third year. Fortunately me son grew a beard and gave me his old Norelco shaver whose trimmer still worked. Panasonic is very proud of their replacement parts. The cutters and screens cost nearly $50 and I could replace the entire shaver on Amazon for $65.

Some members on this site report that Panasonic shavers give a closer shave than Braun but are not as comfortable to the skin. I never thought that the comfort of the Panasonic was not any different than the Braun.

Top Bottom