What's new

Which Dubl Duck?

As some of you may know, I have been flirting with the idea of straight shaving for a while now and to that end I have a Feather AC; as well as having purchased some vintage models to be restored. However, I really want a Dubl Duck now but have no idea which one, so what's better: a wonderedge, a goldedge, a satinnedge, a pearl duck, a special or a bresduck?

I have had them all... in fact 3-4 of each, all mint, my favorite by a vast margin was a mint dubl duck satinedge.... something about those gorgeous clear handles really does it for me. Note - the clearer (and neater) the handle, the more $. I had a mint 7/8ths Satinedge I sold for over $300.... I still feel like I got ripped off, and I regret it.

joel said:
I have had them all... in fact 3-4 of each, all mint, my favorite by a vast margin was a mint dubl duck satinedge.... something about those gorgeous clear handles really does it for me. Note - the clearer (and neater) the handle, the more $. I had a mint 7/8ths Satinedge I sold for over $300.... I still feel like I got ripped off, and I regret it.

Would you say that the Satin Edge was a good choice in terms of performance? I had narrowed down the possiblities to a Wonderedge, A Satin Edge or a Goldedge. Out of those, the general consens seems to be that the Wonderedge is the best, but I have never seen a mint one for sale. As far as Satin Edges go, I have only seens photos of one pair with custom scales, very nice but I've never seen them on ebay. As for the Goldedge, they seem to be the most readily available in mint condition, but they don't ever seem to get the same amount of praise.

AJS said:
Would you say that the Satin Edge was a good choice in terms of performance? I had narrowed down the possiblities to a Wonderedge, A Satin Edge or a Goldedge. Out of those, the general consens seems to be that the Wonderedge is the best, but I have never seen a mint one for sale. As far as Satin Edges go, I have only seens photos of one pair with custom scales, very nice but I've never seen them on ebay. As for the Goldedge, they seem to be the most readily available in mint condition, but they don't ever seem to get the same amount of praise.
I own all three of the above. Finding a mint Dubl Duck is rare. I was fortunate to acquire a 7/8 WonderEdge a year ago and haven't seen one on eBay since. Be patient and prepared to spend a chunk of money. The main difference between the WonderEdge and others is the WonderEdge blade has been cryogenic-ally treated.

My personal favorite str8 manufacturer is Dorko. Superb edge, beautiful scales and very affordable. You can see some of my collection in my personal gallery. I've also had excellent results with Thiers Issard.

If you want to save some $$ (compared to those models with fancier scales) and would be happy with a more basic dubl duk, Xman over at the straightrazorplace has a 1930 or so special #1 with a yellow handle and round point that he is selling for $30 delivered. This particular razor was a daily shaver of his and has had some honing work.

FWIW, I know about the above because Xman had 2 and 1 will be in the mail tomorrow to me from Canada.

schatz said:
If you want to save some $$ (compared to those models with fancier scales) and would be happy with a more basic dubl duk, Xman over at the straightrazorplace has a 1930 or so special #1 with a yellow handle and round point that he is selling for $30 delivered. This particular razor was a daily shaver of his and has had some honing work.

FWIW, I know about the above because Xman had 2 and 1 will be in the mail tomorrow to me from Canada.
It would get your foot in the door. After all, it's the steel that matters.

There was a mint wonderedge (mint as in still in the original box and wrapper, never seen a hone) over at SRP. It was pricey, though.

I have a 7/8 dubl duck wonderedge (my avatar... though it's kind of a fuzzy picture) and a 5/8 dubl duck stainless. Both are out of this world shavers. I have also used a special #1 and a satin edge... both were fine, but not the quality of the two I currently own. Dubl ducks are great, but there are a lot of nice razors out there.

I have a few razors for sale (though no dubl ducks) if you are interested. I have a 7/8+ W&B, 7/8 Revisor, 5/8 Henckesl, 5/8 Thiers issard, 5/8 fromm, 7/8 Loeffer. I'll send you some pics, if you are interested.

Drew

I saw a mint wonderedge sell on ebay for $100 less than 1 month ago.

The ones Drew listed are known the be great shavers.
Wade and Butcher from what I have seen so far are also very popular so you might would pay more on Ebay if you buy there.

Drew said:
I have a 7/8 dubl duck wonderedge (my avatar... though it's kind of a fuzzy picture) and a 5/8 dubl duck stainless. Both are out of this world shavers. I have also used a special #1 and a satin edge... both were fine, but not the quality of the two I currently own. Dubl ducks are great, but there are a lot of nice razors out there.

I have a few razors for sale (though no dubl ducks) if you are interested. I have a 7/8+ W&B, 7/8 Revisor, 5/8 Henckesl, 5/8 Thiers issard, 5/8 fromm, 7/8 Loeffer. I'll send you some pics, if you are interested.

Drew

Thanks for the offer Drew. I got a Henckels today, and I am having a Revisor and a W&B restored for me at the moment. I would be interested to see a picture of the 7/8 Loeffer if it isn't too much trouble for you.

I recently received a dubl duck from my great uncle and I have a question. Can someone explain the differences between a 5/8, 7/8, etc?
Thanks,
Todd G

The numbers refer to the width of the blade in 1/8 " increments. The only difference in my limited experience being that the 4/8 razor (a Puma) I use is easier to control than my 15/16 Henckels. Although the increased heft of the Henckels means it shaves closer on the first pass. The real difference in blades would be in the grind I should think, whether they are fully hollow, quarter hollow etc. not really the width.

Wider blades are heavier and frequently but not universally preferred by those with heavy beards. They are also somewhat easier to hone. Smaller blades are more nimble which is important if you have a moustache or goatee to shave around.

Well, I've had a Wonderedge for about 41 years now and once you get it sharp, it's a good razor. It is one tough blade to sharpen right, because it's so hard. On the other hand, I've got a Red Imp that's about the same vintage and it's soft enough so that it sharpens easily, but be prepared to strop & hone more frequently. I can shave the with Wonderedge for a week without stropping once I get that dude ready.

Off topic, but remember if you want a double Peking Duck you need to call and place your order 24 hours ahead of pickup.

*Returns you to the straight razor thread already in progress*

I have 3 wonderedges and several Satinedges; none of mine are "mint", all have been sharpened....but the Satinedges I have still have crystal clear scales, not the yellow one usually sees on the 'bay.
I only have one goldedge, but it is cracked and I cannot vouch for it one way or another.
All that said,
Ducks are like a cult. Once you get one, you'll want the whole set. 100 bucks for a wonderedge is a steal; you just have to keep your eyes open (I paid more for mine...)
As far as the shave, I have very similar results between my wonderedges and my Satinedges, and since the satinedges can (usually)be had for much cheaper...bang for the buck, the choice to me is obvious.
Buy all of them :lol:
John P.

joel said:

http://www.shop.writerferret.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=81&zenid=u2mouq71cg88gat7i32i4m82a3

Joel,

Saw this razor and remembered reading something about a satinedge so I came on B&B and saw your quote. It looks like the one you described.

Chris

Top Bottom