What's new

Which crop would you use?

Back story: These were the Lipizzan Stallions when they visited Cape Cod, MA in or about the summer of 1990. Camera: Nikon FM2N. Lens was probably a 50mm f1.8. Film most likely Tri-X, later flat bed scanned.

The original was just a ho-hum opportunistic grab. I have a lady imposing herself on the right of the frame. I have no idea what that foggy intrusion is on the lower left. It doesn't appear on any other negatives. Could be light leakage during the scan:

proxy.php

My first thought was this would look better as a square format. I'm also fighting a lot of "busy-ness" in the upper right, and a protruding equine proboscis on the lower left (Crop 1):

proxy.php

Here is an effort to reduce some of the distracting effects above. I still need to add more blur to the upper right. (Crop 2):

proxy.php

I'm sort of partial to this square format version, though it does need the focal point of the image to pop more from the other distractions (Crop 3):

proxy.php

Finally, a 4x6 format rendering (Crop 4):

proxy.php

I'm not a professional photographer, don't play one on TV so feel free to jump in with both feet and critique away!

Crop 1 wins it from my perspective Lane. Great balance between the horse and the child creating a focal point in the centre which includes both.. your use of the blurring in the top right corner works really well to make those distracting elements still part of the context/environment of the scene but make your subjects really pop.. I'm not a professional photographer or art critic so my opinions are just my opinions and make no representation to be correct in any sort of professional context. Have a great day.

I kind of liked the original, since the crops ignored the Grandma (I'm assuming) behind the boys.

Other than that, I going to have to go with Sarimento

Each of the images tells a different story. The question isn't what crop to use, but rather what story you want to tell and which crop tells that story. For example, 1 features a story of the woman and her relationship with the child. The others do not.

Another way of putting the issue is for you to ask What is the picture of? if you intend to have a picture that shows the two children and the one horse, you will be looking for a different crop than if you want to create an image of the child in the foreground and the group of horses.

The crop to use depends on your intention. It depends on what you want to communicate.

Each of the images tells a different story. The question isn't what crop to use, but rather what story you want to tell and which crop tells that story. For example, 1 features a story of the woman and her relationship with the child. The others do not.

Another way of putting the issue is for you to ask What is the picture of? if you intend to have a picture that shows the two children and the one horse, you will be looking for a different crop than if you want to create an image of the child in the foreground and the group of horses.

The crop to use depends on your intention. It depends on what you want to communicate.

Good point! Always a good consideration when making these decisions. Thank you.

IMHO I like crop #1 or crop#4 but #1 is the best for me.

Crop 2 looks odd, as the horses head comes directly out of the top left corner.

IMHO I like crop #1 or crop#4 but #1 is the best for me.

Crop 2 looks odd, as the horses head comes directly out of the top left corner.

Great observation and now I see what you mean (and yes it looks weird now!)

I don't know why I "sawed grandma in half" while framing but I believe I just got tunnel vision trying to grab the moment and forgot to account for the other elements in the viewfinder.

I'm 99.9% certain I had a fixed focal length lens that day and didn't have the option to move back or forth except with my feet :)

Top Bottom