What's new

Which company would you choose?

Maggard Razors! I am blessed to live within easy driving distance from their amazing shop in the Great Lake State of Michigan! No on-line experience can compare with that! ...although Maggard's on-line shop and service is 1st rate as well!
I agree with you. Having attended several meetups there I think it’s the Mecca for wetshavers!

There was a time when I was young and poor that getting the lowest possible price was the only thing that really mattered. Now that I'm older, have a little more discretionary income, and hopefully am a bit wiser, other things matter more. Years ago, I really appreciated the customer focus at Dillon Precision, and benefited from it. I've found other companies who have a similar attitude, and though they may cost more, the initial cost is worth it to me. Some big companies like REI, Patagonia, and Osprey have managed to keep that customer focus, but most seem to be smaller firms. Many talk the talk, but relatively few walk the talk.

+2 on ordering direct from the company when possible! I'll usually pay a little more to do that if possible. Makes me feel better knowing I'm getting the "genuine" product.

I have had good experience(s) with: West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Sally Beauty Supply.

Great question!

There is no one ‘best’ for me: my choice depends on the particular item. These days I prefer to deal directly with the manufacturer, if possible. Otherwise, I go with the ‘usual suspects’ in this thread.

There are lots of good alternatives. It all depends upon what you are looking for. There are a few companies I prefer not to deal with, but I won't reveal those names in public.

I have purchased many thing direct from the artisan: strops from Tony Miller of The Well Shaved Gentlemen, brushes from Milton at Turn n Shave on Etsy, razors from Karve Shaving. I have purchased soaps direct from Ariana and Evans, Barrister and Mann, Cold River Soap Works, Declaration Grooming, Grooming Department, Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations, Murphy and McNeil, Noble Otter, Oleo Soapworks, Wet Shaving Products, Wholly Kaw, and Zingari Man.

I have purchased numerous products from shaving supply companies such as: Maggard Razors, West Coast Shaving, Griffith Shaving Supplies, The Superior Shave, Smallflower, Razor Emporium and Bullgoose. At least in my experience, they are good to deal with.

If you are in a hurry, I suggest you avoid the free shipping option on West Coast Shaving as that typically involves shipment by FedEx Ground-SmartPost. UPS SurePost and USPS Priority mail are much more reliable options in you need something in less than a week. I had such a bad experience with a shipment in early December, I had to contact WCS customer service. However, WCS responded appropriately. My package showed up a few days later.

I went to the shaving meet at Maggard Razors last June and I highly recommend the experience to anyone who can get to Adrian, Michigan. For me it is a 300 mile drive, but I had such a great time that my wife and I hope to go again this year. Even she enjoyed meeting the nice folks at Maggard.

Some things I purchase on Amazon. I have never had a problem with eBay, but you have to be a lot more careful in your purchases, so I do not use them very often.

My preferred vendors, in no particular order, are The Superior Shave, Maggard, and Connaught. TSS for the personal touch (Jarrod is incredibly responsive to emails and really helped me w/ coticules) and availability of a bunch of interesting exclusives, Maggard for general purposes, and Connaught for good deals on some Euro stuff.

Tony Miller was also great to deal with, but I really only need one strop so I haven't ordered anything else from him. He gave me some guidance on a minor strop repair via email years after my purchase, though, which was nice.

+1 and Amazon

Amazon itself is very good if you know what you're looking for. It's weakness, if you're new to the wet-shaving scene, is that 90% of the gear there is crap. If you're shopping for Muhle, EJ, Omega, Semogue, etc., by all means include Amazon in your search. But if you need advice, go to Maggard, Stirling, WCS, or the like.

Also, if you know exactly what you want, check out the manufacturer. That way, they'll get the maximum profit.

Top Bottom