What's new

Which company would you choose?

I realize that this is a matter of opinion, but is there a particular company that you really enjoy doing business with? Everything from quality of product, pricing, customer service, promptness of shipping, etc.

I know that variety is one of the appealing facets of this hobby, but as a newbie the choices seem a bit overwhelming.

If you could only deal with one company, what would it be?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
There is no "one best". I consider many factors. Some of the things I buy are only available at one place. To name one, Lee Valley would be the "best" for me based on your criteria.

I've gotten a lot of great products and deals through Italian Barber. West Coast Shaving has also done good by me. Orders have to be large enough to get free shipping to sweeten the deal even more. Shave Nation is another one that provides great service.

Great experiences with Maggard, West Coast Shaving, and Connaught for large inventories, fast shipping, and good service. But there are also tons of shops with more limited variety but still great service.

I prefer to use a variety of the smaller vendors, but if I was limited to only one it would be one of the larger ones.

Here in the UK I was wowed by Shave Lounge. They seem to have hit the pause button on their business for some reason, but each time I bought from them I was impressed by the care and precision taken in the packaging; I would describe it as Japanese-like attention to detail. Normally I don't care about such things and will take price over presentation, but this was so next-level it convinced me to use them for larger items over cheaper vendors.

I honestly don't think it works like that. I have dealt with WCS, Italian Barber, Connaght's, Gifts & Care, yourshaving.com, amazon.com, iHerb, beauty1.us, Yaqi, several Ebay sellers and probably a few others that slip my mind. I've gotten some good deals by shopping sales and free shipping promotions.

All experience have been good except for some minor problems. I did get a broken item one time and the vendor made good. Yaqi was very slow to ship and tracking was terrible during their big annual sales event, but the products arrived in good shape. Somebody at the USPS apparently used one of my packages for batting practice, but the vendor worked it out with me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I probably have bought more stuff on eBay, but I'll buy from Connaught if I have the choice because I like their service and their shipping to the US is less than most dealers within the US charge for shipping.

All the dealers mentioned are good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I usually try to buy directly from the maker/manufacturer, rather than a retail outlet. My choice would be Chatillon Lux. Shawn is always responsive, funny, interesting, generous and happy to fix any issue (and there've been a couple, each resulting from an aftershave lid coming loose during shipping).

^+1. I usually order straight from the artisan in most cases. Also, I don’t think anyone has mentioned the B&B BST Forum yet.

Here in the UK I was wowed by Shave Lounge. They seem to have hit the pause button on their business for some reason, but each time I bought from them I was impressed by the care and precision taken in the packaging; I would describe it as Japanese-like attention to detail. Normally I don't care about such things and will take price over presentation, but this was so next-level it convinced me to use them for larger items over cheaper vendors.

I’m based in the UK too.

I came across their site after an online recommendation but as you say they appear to have paused the business. Any idea why?

I’ve been using The Personal Barber for a lot of my purchases and they have always been very responsive and engaging. Nice presentation for their subscription boxes too.

Top Bottom