What's new

Which common Gillette adjustable is best

Which is the best common Gillette Adjustable

• Total voters
I agree that the razor is very nice. I also really like the glass in the background. :pipe:
Yes I noticed that as well. While it made me smack my lips, I’ll soon get over it. I can’t drink alcoholic beverages due to my heart medicine. I’m a really cheap date. 6 ounces of any alcoholic beverage and I can’t walk.

May be a dumb question but are you tightening it the extra "1/4 turn" where you feel the spring pressure?
Yes....I do the extra 1/4 turn, but midway through the shave, I find that it has loosened slightly. So I
have to remember to retighten it. Still shaves OK, but it's kind of a PITA.....

My J3 slim is a solid performer 👌
20201007_153507.jpg

Yes....I do the extra 1/4 turn, but midway through the shave, I find that it has loosened slightly. So I
have to remember to retighten it. Still shaves OK, but it's kind of a PITA.....
That's weird. The spring inside that the 1/4 turn is supposed to hold the knob. There's more of a 1/4 turn the higher the setting.

For years i used s slim, but then a few years ago i finally felt the weight of a 1959 fat boy by gillette and, it changed my world that short bulldog handle that big wide heavy head, clicky twisty adjustment Dial, just a purely perfect vintage razor, i now own 12-13 fatboys that i rotate in throughout the month. I daily shave with my revamped, rhodium plated 1959 E1(same build time as my mothers birth fat boy. She shaves so spectacularly after i adjusted the gap perfectly

If you’ve used all 3 of the Gillette adjustables, I think you’d have to agree that the Superadjustable 109, particularly the post ‘77 nylon base plate “Black Beauty”, is the best of the lot.

Having used all three of the Gillette adjustables, my preference is Fatboy first, Slim second, then SuperAdjustable 84 and SuperAdjustable109. The weight, length and diameter of the FB just feel right on my hand.

Like my avatars, I've had a mustache for most of my adult life, so the slightly thinner head of the Slim confers no advantage for me.

A for the SA 84 over the 109, I feel that longer handles are not as maneuverable in tight quarters so I like the shorter one.

Just my $0.02.

Slim for me. I do like the Fatboy, but the Slim is such an elegant razor that it wins out on looks and performance - although i find them both very close. I haven't had a bad shave with any of my vintage Gillettes, but if I was told I could only keep one, it would be my J3 Slim.

Top Bottom