What's new

Which cheap chinese razor to get?

I have so many razors that the idea of even considering buying a Chinese razor has never crossed my mind. In fact, I have no desire to buy a Chinese razor, or anything made in China for that matter. I won't go into why other than to say that most things that I have bought made in China have been of inferior quality. So, I'm not the kind of person who buys something just because it's dirt cheap.

I have so many razors that the idea of even considering buying a Chinese razor has never crossed my mind. In fact, I have no desire to buy a Chinese razor, or anything made in China for that matter. I won't go into why other than to say that most things that I have bought made in China have been of inferior quality. So, I'm not the kind of person who buys something just because it's dirt cheap.

Thankfully, nobody is trying to force you or persuade you to buy anything made there. The original post asked for suggestions so people have shared their experiences.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Another fan of the MingShi Future clone. I bought mine from Italian Barber when they first came out. I don’t use it often. But when I do it provides a great shave. I have no alignment issues with mine.

All of the cheap Razorock razors are decent as well. The Sloc, Teck II, their DE89 clone heads, the old clone... all cheap and good shaves. All Chinese. The Maggards brand heads too. Excellent.

But the argument to go vintage holds true. Why get a zamak el cheapo razor when you can have a brass piece of shaving history that will last until your great grandchildren start shaving? Well some people don’t want a used razor, or don’t like vintage things. Me... I just like to try lots of different razors. And when they cost as little as a beer or two down at the pub, I figure I can get lots and enjoy the variety. Why not.

I have the:
QShave Adjustable (Futur Clone) (US$10) since last year and it is working well and shaving wonderfully
Yaqi DLC (US$12) since last year. Blade alignment is perfect every time and shaves as well as the RR GC.84 SB
Yaqi Mellon Cob (Free head) blade alignment is perfect and shaves as well
Yaqi SLOC (US$10) blade alignment is perfect and the shaves a bit mild
Yaqi Knight Helmet (Free head) recently and blade alignment is perfect but really aggressive with plenty of blade feel

The above are all bought or freebies during the frequent sales and are among my rotation between vintage Gillettes, brass Fatip and Stainless Razorock.
I like to have varieties...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you're set on Chinese, see what QShave offers. They have a two-piece adjustable for just under $20 that looks pretty slick.

if you like big and heavy but efficient
The qshave adjustable (merkur futur copy) is a nice razor.
they have made a newer design based on the same head too.

Best I tried is Yintal Brass
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Qshave futur copy, its pretty good actually just as long you don't go beyond setting 3 unless you got barbed wire to take of 😁

I have a Qshave (the futur clone), I had 2 Baili Tech clones (sold one, kept the TTO), and have 3 Yaqi (Mellon, 15C clone, R89 clone).

I don't think we should mix shaving, politics, and epidemiology here but I'm thinking about selling the clone and purchasing a real Futur. I think over time all the cheap knock offs will go, and will be replaced by the real one.

So, end of the story, I could have spent less money with a slower purchasing strategy. Buying a Futur clone ultimately means you want a Futur, and somehwere down the line you will get one. Selling the cheap chinese "clone" will result in loosing most of the "investment", while a real Merkur would have keept a decent value over time.

How's the Baili 179 compare to a black handle Super Speed. Looks real nice. Amazon reviews somewhat mixed.
I can only compare it to the two Super Speeds I have - a 1958 TV Special and a 1966 SS. I think the Super Speeds are a bit smoother but it is a close call. It has worked great with every razor I’ve put in it. The build quality felt a little janky at first but over time I just got used to the feel. There’s a bit more rattle to it compared to the Gillettes but once you tighten it up it’s good to go! Plus the great price point to boot! Also there's hardly any blade over hang compared to the Gillettes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom