What's new

Which cartridge razor/disposable razor did you use today and how many shaves?

Interesting! I’ve been watching vids where the guys just build a slick lather with their fingers (would you call that finger lathering?)
I love my synthetic brushes and have always assumed that they help to exfoliate and lift the hairs but I guess massaging fingers could do that job equally as effectively.
It works great when you are in a hurry.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Interesting! I’ve been watching vids where the guys just build a slick lather with their fingers (would you call that finger lathering?)
I love my synthetic brushes and have always assumed that they help to exfoliate and lift the hairs but I guess massaging fingers could do that job equally as effectively.

If you are after a nice lather, a brush will do it quicker and better. I've not thought of brushes as exfoliators too much. As a daily shaver, for me anyway, it's not like the hairs are laying down and need to be lifted, they are too short to lay down. I think if you have more than a couple of days growth the brush will lift the hairs more than fingers, or do it easier.

Here is an example of how I lathered today

If you are after a nice lather, a brush will do it quicker and better. I've not thought of brushes as exfoliators too much. As a daily shaver, for me anyway, it's not like the hairs are laying down and need to be lifted, they are too short to lay down. I think if you have more than a couple of days growth the brush will lift the hairs more than fingers, or do it easier.

Here is an example of how I lathered today
That vid is one of the guys I follow and who never uses a brush. I sent him some Flex 2 carts for a review but he wasn’t sold on them.

One of the other things I like about a brush is that I can lather AND keep my hands dry at the same time.

The other thing with prep for carts is I’m finding the slicker the better so hair conditioner or aqueous cream are giving good results and I suspect a moisturising bar soap might work just as well too.

For seven years I rigidly believed that DE with a good shaving soap was best but now that’s all gone out the window when I find Trac II with hair conditioner is better!
This is what’s started making me question the use of brushes now...

Reed & Barton Sterling Silver Atra handle, Schick Ultrex Plus (1). I picked up a large stack of these for about $0.35 per blade so lets see how they do. These work on Atra and Trac II handles and have the push button on top to clear the blades although i never needed to use it. First shave was nice and smooth.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Gillette Fusion Proshield with power handle / 6

Tried this out today. I really liked the Skinguard with the power handle. This feels different and not as nice. It almost felt as if I was getting razor burn whilst shaving. I think it felt worse than it was. I only used and AS, a vintage Avon with lots of alcohol so if it did give razor burn, I'll know as the day goes on. So far things are fine, but for the Fusion carts, I think the power needs to stay off for me.

Update: now that my skin has started to dry back to normal, I think it didn't get a close as normal because shave because I was skittish due to the feel of the razor. And I do have some slight razor burn. Time for a little balm. AV 5-1 Balm should work nicely.

Last edited:
N.O.S. Gillette Techmatic from 1966, original cartridge, first blade position (2) still sharp as Jimmy Tarbuck at last orders!
DSC00552.JPG
"...you can laugh...it weren't his hand-writing!"

For head shave - Gillette Guard (3) WTG and Gillette Sensor Excel (4) ATG.

Granted the Sensor Excel had the harder task dealing with my porcupine quill like hair ATG, it seems like the Guard is far more sharp, or at least more efficient. Regardless, it was an excellent shave, being relatively close and irritation\blood free!

One quick pass with a new Mach 3 cart to clean up a less-than-stellar DE shave. I don't know if my technique is slipping or what, but I've had several rough DE shaves in a row with a Tech and a Wilkinson Sword Classic, using both Wilkinson Sword and Feather blades. If I can't nail down what's going on with my shaves, I may hang it up and move back to cartridges (and this subforum) more permanently.

Travel handle/ Wilkinson W II (6)
92953A8E-EAD3-4D7F-AB21-944F1A2D143A.jpeg

Used a bar bath soap for prep, lathered it once just using my palms.
It stayed slick for three passes without any relathering and the thin lather is perfect for the cartridge blades.
To be honest I’m surprised this worked so well.

Reed & Barton Sterling Silver Atra handle, Schick Ultrex Plus (4)
Super smooth today cutting down my 2 day growth. (didn't shave yesterday)

Top Bottom