What's new

Which cartridge razor/disposable razor did you use today and how many shaves?

That is incredible. I never could get more than a handful of shaves out of a cartridge. Surprisingly my next shave with the Axe will be more than I've ever done with a cartridge.
I think cartridges, and all razors for that matter, dull to a certain point and then once that point is reached it takes exponentially longer for them to become more dull than they currently are.
So if you can make it to that point then every shave after that will feel the same.

My reasoning is because your beard isn't getting tougher after each shave. You are shaving the same thing over and over again so once the coatings and the initial super sharp edge is warn off, what's left? It's going to dull, and then reach that point of dullness where unless you are shaving a tougher beard or cutting something tougher/harder the edge will remain the same.

I understand why you would think this but it simply is not true. Every time an edge is exposed to matter it is cutting it loses microscopic material. There is no way am edge just gets to a point where it no longer dulls. If you were to shave with a de blade for a year straight every day, it could possibly lose a quarter inch of metal depending on beard type.

Not trying to argue, and not saying a blade doesn't PERFORM the same at a certain point, just saying it doesn't just stop dulling.

There's not a thing wrong with shaving with a cartridge razor. I also enjoy using the Fatboy and the Slim; the cartridge is good when I'm pressed for time.
Apart from the fact that modern cartridges have all kinds of "gimmicks".

The original cartridge design was just a variant of the injector razor. The only thing that can be said against them is that discarding the plastic housing together with the blade each time generates extra waste.

How are you guys getting this many shaves out of one cart. Sometimes I see these claims of how many shaves people are getting out of a single cart, DE or SE blade, and I can't help but think there's some serious exaggeration going on.

I wish I had held on to my Trac II Bump Fighter to experiment. I didn't count shaves, but it seemed Like I'd use a cart for a couple weeks before tossing. So a 10-pack tray would last about four months. Sounds about right.

They were miserable shaves however.

A Trac II cartridge did last 7 to 10 days for me.

OTOH, I also know stories of "old timers" who managed to do 20 days with a single DE blade! (and not a Personna 74)

So, everyone's tolerances for dullness are different.

I must have a low tolerance for dull blades, I never got more than 5 or 6 out of a cartridge before it started getting tuggy.

I've had to abandon DE/SE razors for carts, as my hand shakes so badly I can't hold the razor safely. Which doesn't mean I have to be boring. This morning I lathered up a La Toja shavestick, with a Semogue boar, shaved with a 70s Atra & Contour Plus cart, finished off with La Toja Manantiales aftershave. Other days I use a Parker heavyweight TracII handle, or 7o'clock P-II - P-II carts are the sharpest I've found.

I keep promising myself a Feather F-II with a locking pivot, as the pivot on my Atra is a menace against the grain. However I've just bought an Edwin Jagger nickel and ivory Mach3 handle... RAD doesn't stop at single blades.

$10518005_10152595296773134_7485560424596059374_n.jpg

Last edited:
I started my shave with a GEM G-Bar and CVS blade, finished it with a Sensor Excel (second shave on the cart).

I use m3 power(sensitive) on a muhle handle often. I only use 3 shaves. until the indicator is gone. I don't see how you guys shave way past the indicator. it will cut me bad. I use a straight and de but the m3 can give me a fine bbs. just doesn't last of course. the fusion is another story. tears me to shreds. sensor and atra are okay but I can't get a bbs at all.

What is that "indicator"? Do they really have an indicator to tell you when (according to the manufacturer) a cartridge must be changed?

yes sir. on mach3 and fusion at least. the lubristrip(tm) has a darker line through the center that disappears when it is time to replace the blade. I will be darned if that thing is not spot on for me. ymmv. unfortunately that is like 3 shaves on a 4 dollar cart. I swear Gillette are geniuses. I mean at lining their executives pockets that is..... I hear the next version will just explode lol.

How does the Dorco compare to the Fusion?

Dorco Pace 6 and I usually get about 6 or 7 shaves out of them until I start to get irritation. I will see if I can extend the life with stropping them, as I haven't tried that before.

I liked the Dorco better than the Fusion as the shave was the same or better for me and a dorco cart is like $1.40.

Dorco Pace 6 and I usually get about 6 or 7 shaves out of them until I start to get irritation. I will see if I can extend the life with stropping them, as I haven't tried that before.

I liked the Dorco better than the Fusion as the shave was the same or better for me and a dorco cart is like $1.40.

great info, thanks. I have always liked the fusion and have wanted to find something similar but for less $$. The schick, sensor excel, etc have not done it for me.

yes sir. on mach3 and fusion at least. the lubristrip(tm) has a darker line through the center that disappears when it is time to replace the blade.

I am so glad that I never bought into those carts ... make something idiot proof, and only idiots will use it.

I haven't used one in a long time as I prefer the Sensor Excel. When I did use the M3, I ignored the indicator and went by the feel. For me that was about seven shaves.

Top Bottom