What's new

Which cartridge razor/disposable razor did you use today and how many shaves?

Gillette sensor excel, on probably shave 10.
I used my Sensor today, in the shower. Good shave, probably about shave number 14 or 15, but it's hard to know any more; I only shave in the shower maybe once a week any more, but I can shave by feel with either a Sensor or a Hydro3. The rest of the time, I shave with a classic bladed razor that only cuts with one edge at a time.

Last edited:
How are you guys getting this many shaves out of one cart. Sometimes I see these claims of how many shaves people are getting out of a single cart, DE or SE blade, and I can't help but think there's some serious exaggeration going on.

Most I ever got out of a cart (Mach 3, Fusion, Quattro, Hydro): 5
Most out of a DE blade: 4
Most out of SE/Injector: 5

And all of these weren't very comfortable on the last shave.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
How are you guys getting this many shaves out of one cart.

Everyone has different beard types. Some folks have peach fuzz, some folks have patches here and there. Heck, one persons comfortable might be another persons ER visit.
Maybe some are stropping the cartridge, freezing it, soaking it in olive oil when not in use, drying it off with a hair dryer, putting a magnet on it, laser removing imperfections, sleeping with it under their pillow...who knows what folks do to prolong blade life.

As you can see I've got a full beard when it grows in. I shave when i get out of the shower, I apply Barbasol over a wet face, and then when I'm done I dry the handle off and set it on my counter and walk away. 5 shaves so far.

Everyone has different beard types. Some folks have peach fuzz, some folks have patches here and there. Heck, one persons comfortable might be another persons ER visit.
Maybe some are stropping the cartridge, freezing it, soaking it in olive oil when not in use, drying it off with a hair dryer, putting a magnet on it, laser removing imperfections, sleeping with it under their pillow...who knows what folks do to prolong blade life.

As you can see I've got a full beard when it grows in. I shave when i get out of the shower, I apply Barbasol over a wet face, and then when I'm done I dry the handle off and set it on my counter and walk away. 5 shaves so far.

I understand that there will be some variance, but 30 shaves more than what I could get sounds incredible.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I understand that there will be some variance, but 30 shaves more than what I could get sounds incredible.

That is incredible. I never could get more than a handful of shaves out of a cartridge. Surprisingly my next shave with the Axe will be more than I've ever done with a cartridge.
I think cartridges, and all razors for that matter, dull to a certain point and then once that point is reached it takes exponentially longer for them to become more dull than they currently are.
So if you can make it to that point then every shave after that will feel the same.

My reasoning is because your beard isn't getting tougher after each shave. You are shaving the same thing over and over again so once the coatings and the initial super sharp edge is warn off, what's left? It's going to dull, and then reach that point of dullness where unless you are shaving a tougher beard or cutting something tougher/harder the edge will remain the same.

That is incredible. I never could get more than a handful of shaves out of a cartridge. Surprisingly my next shave with the Axe will be more than I've ever done with a cartridge.
I think cartridges, and all razors for that matter, dull to a certain point and then once that point is reached it takes exponentially longer for them to become more dull than they currently are.
So if you can make it to that point then every shave after that will feel the same.

My reasoning is because your beard isn't getting tougher after each shave. You are shaving the same thing over and over again so once the coatings and the initial super sharp edge is warn off, what's left? It's going to dull, and then reach that point of dullness where unless you are shaving a tougher beard or cutting something tougher/harder the edge will remain the same.

I think your logic is sound here but when dealing with a cart you also have a lot of blades to compensate for dullness so people might perceive them as sharper than they are because they are just looking at the results of the hair shaving and not the irritation and ingrown hairs that are left in the wake.

I don't see how some people are getting that many shaves. I use my Fusion or DSC cart razors for head shaving. I get 14 at most out of them, and that's just the sides and back of my head since there's pretty much none left on top.

It depends on how you clean and maintain them.

Use shaving cream or soap (this is a must every second or third shave - I can shave with just water but I have to use cream or soap in order to clean out the razor).
Rinse the razor after each stroke (first rinse with blades facing down so the hair goes back out the way it came then you can rinse with blades up).
Dip razor in alcohol for about 30 seconds after final rinse
Every so many days strop the razor on a pair of jeans, or a strop, or your upper arm, or even your leg (this is what I use).

You strop a cartridge razor by going in the opposite direction of shaving. On Youtube look for the videos on how to strop a cartridge razor (it's nothing like stropping a straight razor). If I didn't strop the razor it would only last me 7 - 14 days.

Even with stropping my Gillette Fusion Proglide is almost done at 33 shaves. I plan on trying 2 more shaves before I toss it.

Yesterday. Tried the new Flex. Came with a fusion cart. Excellent shave.

proxy.php

This is the first time I've actually seen the "Dyson Ball" razor.
It appears you like it !
I don't usually use the newer carts (since the sensor). However, unlike many, I seem to get a more than decent shave out of them without problems.
I will end up getting one as I am a Gillette collector...I was curious if you could comment further on your experience i.e. handling, feel, grip, ease of use etc.
That's a very nice set up by the way.
Thanks

First shave with the Feather MR3 Neo. It did a great job, but I still needed the DE for right under the nose. Otherwise, it was a comfortable and effective shave.

Yesterday I used the Gillette Fusion Proglide (34) and I tossed the cart afterwards because I am at the point where I have to strop it after the second pass. Nice comfortable shave when stropped but this razor was free sample so good enough.

Dorco Pace 6 (this is their 6 blade disposable razor version of the 6 blade cartridge) - 2 shaves so far

Usually, when I shave in the shower, I follow up at the sink with a classic / traditional safety razor. Yesterday, my shave was good enough "as is", using a Sensor, and the cart in it has about five shaves on it, which is probably close to the limit I can get. My shower shaves are strictly by feel. My vision correction rules out a mirror unless I am inches away, or want water spots on my eyewear. Our water is quite hard; lots of dissolved limestone.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power razor with flexball on the third or fourth shave with the cartridge. I used my favorite cream, Truefitt + Hill No. 10. Two and a half passes: I pretty much combined WTG and XTG, then finished up ATG. I rinsed the blade maybe 3-4 times each pass. It was quick, painless, and gave a BBS shave.

There's not a thing wrong with shaving with a cartridge razor. I also enjoy using the Fatboy and the Slim; the cartridge is good when I'm pressed for time.

Schick Hydro 3 (20+)

This was my first use of the Hydro 3 for a full shave in a couple of weeks, because I am in a give-it-a-fair-test exploration of DE shaving that still has a long way to go. (I started with 46 blades -- 25 GSBs, 20 Wizamet-packaged Super Iridiums, and the one Astra SP that shipped with the Standard Razors razor when I bought it; I have been getting about five shaves per DE blade, and have used up fewer than ten so far.) Even so, I have been pulling out the Schick Hydro 3 on average once every two or three days to touch up little patches that I discover when I rinse off my face that I had not shaved closely enough with the DE. I can touch up DE shaves with the Hydro 3 but I cannot touch up Hydro 3 shaves with the DE.

How are you guys getting this many shaves out of one cart. Sometimes I see these claims of how many shaves people are getting out of a single cart, DE or SE blade, and I can't help but think there's some serious exaggeration going on.

Most I ever got out of a cart (Mach 3, Fusion, Quattro, Hydro): 5
Most out of a DE blade: 4
Most out of SE/Injector: 5

And all of these weren't very comfortable on the last shave.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy claimed he was on shave 60 with his feather blade. I thought this guy has to be joking.

Top Bottom