What's new

Which Braun should I keep?

Hi all, noob hoping for a little advice from anyone who has used both the Braun Series 9 and Series 7. I have somewhat sensitive skin and the whiskers on my jawline and right under the jawline grow sideways. I'm trying to upgrade my shave and after tons of research decided to order a Series 7 790cc. While waiting for it to arrive I was suffering from FOMO and returned to the reviews. While clicking on the links to Amazon on Shaver Check I stumbled on a Series 9 9310cc for about $20 more than I paid for the Series 7. On impulse I ordered it too and figured I would keep one and send the other back. The Series 9 came in first and I gave it a try. I'm very impressed with the shave. Closer than any electric I've ever owned and as close as I can get with a safety razor without butchering my face. Also very comfortable, didn't really have any discomfort after the shave, unlike a Remington F5 I recently tried.

Well the Series 7 arrive today and I'm tempted to try it out also. One of the YouTubers I watched ordered a Series 9 to replace his aged Series 7 and after trying both decided the Series 7 gave him a better shave. Now I'm curious. Also reading lots of people who say the smaller head-size on the Series 7 cassette is better for under the nose. I locked the head on the Series 9, like they show in the manual for the upper lip, and it worked ok. Certainly better than the Remington F5.

Not sure what to do now. Should I just return the Series 7 unopened for a full refund? Open the Series 7 and try it, and keep the one I like the most. Maybe I could sell the other one. I notice there is a flourishing market for used Series 9 and Series 7 shavers on ebay. I really don't want to keep two shavers. It was a pretty big leap for me to spend over $200 for a shaver. Although, after I went back and calculated how much I spend on razors and shaving cream I figure I'll come out ahead in the long run.

So, any input from those who have used both would be appreciated.

I've used nearly every version of the Series 9 (including the newer Pro), and every version of the Series 7 (including the old 790cc and the new 360), and I prefer the Series 9 for comfort and closeness (the difference in head size for these razors is negligible to me). Truth in advertising, I shave exclusively wet (with soap and a brush), so all are pretty smooth and comfortable, although I shave with a pre-shave when traveling That doesn't mean my choice is right for you. But in general, the majority of users of both razors agree with my assessment. Some actually prefer the older Series 7 (I don't) over any of them, but any of the above razors is capable of giving you a close (enough), comfortable shave. Your "Option B" - Open the Series 7 and try it, and keep the one I like the most - sounds like it might answer your question. If you purchased the razor from Braun, they have a pretty generous 100-day, no questions asked rebate policy in the US (and as far as I know Internationally), as does Amazon (30 days): Braun Return. Ovidiu on ShaverCheck has some great, objective reviews of virtually the entire Braun lineup, and his reviews are generally spot on. Good luck in your choice, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Braun used to offer a 30 (60?) day MBG, no questions asked. Has that changed? If not, try them both and then decide.

I've used nearly every version of the Series 9 (including the newer Pro), and every version of the Series 7 (including the old 790cc and the new 360), and I prefer the Series 9 for comfort and closeness (the difference in head size for these razors is negligible to me). Truth in advertising, I shave exclusively wet (with soap and a brush), so all are pretty smooth and comfortable, although I shave with a pre-shave when traveling That doesn't mean my choice is right for you. But in general, the majority of users of both razors agree with my assessment. Some actually prefer the older Series 7 (I don't) over any of them, but any of the above razors is capable of giving you a close (enough), comfortable shave. Your "Option B" - Open the Series 7 and try it, and keep the one I like the most - sounds like it might answer your question. If you purchased the razor from Braun, they have a pretty generous 100-day, no questions asked rebate policy in the US (and as far as I know Internationally), as does Amazon (30 days): Braun Return. Ovidiu on ShaverCheck has some great, objective reviews of virtually the entire Braun lineup, and his reviews are generally spot on. Good luck in your choice, and welcome to the forum!

How do you feel the Series 9 Pro compares with the standard Series 9?

How do you feel the Series 9 Pro compares with the standard Series 9?
Other than the front switch to lock the head (which really is an improvement, although minor), and the redesigned flat cutter bar on the 94M head cassette (which is in fact more effective at trimming longer hairs - but you can actually interchange heads with any Series 9), there isn't a lot of difference. Speculation that the motor is slightly more robust (it is a trifle louder), but unknown. And it does give you (at least for me) a slightly closer shave - some say at the expense of comfort (the new cutter bar can be slightly "grabbier" dry, although wet shaving I haven't noticed a difference). The most significant change for me was the included PowerCase, which operates on the concept shared by many wireless earbud designs - a chargeable case that recharges the shaver once you charge it up (and it might work with other S9s). For traveling, it extends the run time of the razor probably twice, without carrying around a charger or charging cord - I could probably shave a month with just the case and the razor. If you don't travel a lot (and these days, duh), not really significant, but it is built like a bank vault, although it does add some bulk and weight to the case. All in all it's an improvement over the standard S9, but at a price (although the cost does include the nifty case). It is probably the best foil shaver Braun makes now for many, but many of us were hoping for a Series 10 that differentiated the shavers a little more. If you can eventually find one that is close to the price of a standard S9, or if money is no object, a no-brainer, but cost for value ratio now is problematic IMO. Ovidiu at ShaverCheck has a great review (not sure if I can include a link here).

Last edited:
Other than the front switch to lock the head (which really is an improvement, although minor), and the redesigned flat cutter bar on the 94M head cassette (which is in fact more effective at trimming longer hairs - but you can actually interchange heads with any Series 9), there isn't a lot of difference. Speculation that the motor is slightly more robust (it is a trifle louder), but unknown. And it does give you (at least for me) a slightly closer shave - some say at the expense of comfort (the new cutter bar can be slightly "grabbier" dry, although wet shaving I haven't noticed a difference). The most significant change for me was the included PowerCase, which operates on the concept shared by many wireless earbud designs - a chargeable case that recharges the shaver once you charge it up (and it might work with other S9s). For traveling, it extends the run time of the razor probably twice, without carrying around a charger or charging cord - I could probably shave a month with just the case and the razor. If you don't travel a lot (and these days, duh), not really significant, but it is built like a bank vault, although it does add some bulk and weight to the case. All in all it's an improvement over the standard S9, but at a price (although the cost does include the nifty case). It is probably the best foil shaver Braun makes now for many, but many of us were hoping for a Series 10 that differentiated the shavers a little more. If you can eventually find one that is close to the price of a standard S9, or if money is no object, a no-brainer, but cost for value ratio now is problematic IMO. Ovidiu at ShaverCheck has a great review (not sure if I can include a link here).
Thanks for the response. The Series 9 with cleaning station is a mere $160 at Costco, which makes it a screaming deal and pretty hard to contend with. I'm a straight razor shaver, so merely using these for an article, but if the improvements on the pro were significant, I'd definitely pick one up... sounds like they're trivial though. I've read the ShaverCheck reviews, but in many instances I find my results/opinions to differ from his, and his reviews are more "point reference" style reviews, which makes sense for the kind of website he runs ($ generation through affiliate links). No hate, he makes some incredibly detailed content, but I really want the straight read on a group/class of products and I don't get it there.

Yep, the S9 can be had for a considerable discount now - and probably going forward. Ovidiu and I part ways frequently as well on results, but the technical aspects of his reviews are usually very accurate, and for something as variable as "Will I get a good shave?" probably as valuable as anything else.

The only way you are going to know is to try the series seven and compare them. I would give each one a minimum of a week tryout to allow your face to adjust to each shaver. My guess, is that you will not notice any difference between the two shavers. However, I have been wrong before and everyone’s face and beard is different.

Top Bottom