What's new

Which brands are known for their Manchurian badger ?

I know Simpson's is one ; they may be the OG for that .
I recently got a two-band Manchurian from Zenith ; love it !
Now looking for a three band Manchurian .

Manchurian is probably a marketing term, but it seems to indicate that the animal the hair came from the high mountain areas of north eastern Asia. It also seems that the term High Mountain is also sometimes used for Manchurian although High Mountain seems to be specifically Two Band or Finest. Perhaps Three Band Manchurian is what some call High Mountain White.

Whipped Dog sells a really nice High Mountain.

TGN sells High Mountain White.

I'm sure their are other sources too.

That might help you with your search.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Manchurian really does not say anything...its a pretty large area in the north east of China where a lot of badger hair comes from. I believe Simpson was the first company that named a certain grade of their badger hairs "Manchurian". Compared to their older two-band Super, this Manchurian hair is a thicker stemmed hair and a bit stiffer.
Now other companies jump on the name as well as it is just a good selling attribute. As Owen said, it is mainly used for a two-band hair, but I guess a three band coming from the area could be also called a Manchurian Three band...

agree, is pretty much a made-up term, started by Simpsons. I guess its just the best of their 2-band, which they differentiate by calling them Manchurian (at a hefty markup, of course)

Indeed, it’s just a marketing term. Commonly used to denote a brands premium 2band. But if you are looking for something with similar properties to Simpson’s Manchurian check out Shavemac’s DO1 2band.

from Simpsons website :

"... using our own unique sourced rare High Mountain White Chinese Manchurian Badger. Two Band appearance, stiff shafts, uber-soft tips and the ultimate flow through qualities mean this hair is something truly unique in the industry."

from Simpsons website :

"... using our own unique sourced rare High Mountain White Chinese Manchurian Badger. Two Band appearance, stiff shafts, uber-soft tips and the ultimate flow through qualities mean this hair is something truly unique in the industry."

I find the term useful for Simpson hair, as super, 2-band, and Manchurian are all very distinct from one another. Rudy describes it well above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manchurian really does not say anything...its a pretty large area in the north east of China where a lot of badger hair comes from. I believe Simpson was the first company that named a certain grade of their badger hairs "Manchurian". Compared to their older two-band Super, this Manchurian hair is a thicker stemmed hair and a bit stiffer.
Now other companies jump on the name as well as it is just a good selling attribute. As Owen said, it is mainly used for a two-band hair, but I guess a three band coming from the area could be also called a Manchurian Three band...

+2! There is no established grading system for badger hair. This is cleaver marketing!

My Elite Razor Manchurian is pretty darn perfect .....

4D79B9FD-1A14-4FD3-A148-CF9B9B447D56_1_105_c.jpeg

Re: Charles Roberts ; does anyone remember his infamous quote about the strength/power of a shaving brush ?
Something like , "the power of a shaving brush , like a boxer , comes from within."

And yes , I read on one of the shaving sites that the legend is Mr. Roberts was behind the naming of Manchurian badger .

Top Bottom