What's new

which boar brushes should i get?

I have the Pro49 and Connaught Jade among other Omegas. I find them to be excellent along with my B34 Zenith.

All my brushes are natural hair with exception to 3 synths that I’m trying to love but finding hard to like in comparison to my Badgers and SOC Misturas that rotate in with greater frequency. Not saying Synths are bad, just that I have yet to find their sweet spot with me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
i dont see the point spending more then i need to on a boar as theyre so reasonably priced tbf

which brush is the one you got from yourshaving site?

whats the difference between bleached and unbleached boar brushes?
I only got the unbleached because so many shavers here say they break in so nicely.... though the process is a bit longer.

This is the brush I ordered and hope to receive this coming week:

Edit 1: I have Premium Jade Omega from Connaught and the very inexpensive 10108. I also have the two versions of the Semogue Owner's Club boars, Taj and Butterscotch. I think, based on my limited knowledge, that the 10108 is the equal of any of my boars except the Zeniths. That said, there are reports that the older Jade Premium brushes are amazing. Mine is the same density as all the ones I just listed other than the 3 Zenith boars I have.

All the Boars.jpg

I have to agree with @ChriWilson though... the Semogue Owner's Club Mistura brushes are amazing in their own right... they hold up against all my 100% badger brushes. If I was going to buy one brush in the middle price range, I'd choose one of the SOC Misturas without hesitation... and they are wonderful right out of the box. Again, I have twin Misturas.. Taj and Butterscotch. If you do a search here, you'll find a thread dedicated to the SOCs and they show up repeatedly in this past May's "Mistura May Madness" tread. What the heck, I'll just post both of them:

Last edited:
Of the Omega brushes you mentioned, I suggest the Proraso Pro, hands down. My particular favorite boar brushes, in order:
Omega Premium Jade
Zenith unbleached with olivewood handle
Zenith unbleached with white plastic handle
Semogue Torga C5
Omega Proraso Pro
Zenith with plastic handle
Semogue Owners Club

There will be a boar brush pass around starting back up in a few months. I suggest you consider trying out the various brushes. Every brush I just mentioned, except the Torga, is in the pass around, plus others.

Part of finding the just right boar brush is like finding the right badger brush. What size knot do you like? what loft do you like? Enjoy the journey exploring boar brushes. They are a wonderful rabbit hole that doesn't cost much in comparison to badger. I have well over 25 boar brushes & enjoy them all. As I found what I like, I don't use all of them anymore.

Take your time breaking them in. I suggest soaking in water overnight on your counter, then flick the water a few times & brush a dozen or so times on a towel & let dry overnight. Next, Lather a good thick lather & let it sit overnight, rinse & wash, then brush on a towel a dozen or so times. Let dry overnight. After that, start using the brush. Give it a dozen or so uses to begin getting broken in. I suggest brushing on a towel after each washing to provide some rough surface for the brush tips to be in contact with, as that will aid in the beginning of splitting the tips. You want the tips to split to provide that wonderful boar softness. Allow the brush to thoroughly dry between uses as it is the wet dry cycle that causes the splitting.

Please let us know if you have more questions. And also keep us posted as to what you decide on getting. But most of all, enjoy the journey!!!!!

Of the Omega brushes you mentioned, I suggest the Proraso Pro, hands down. My particular favorite boar brushes, in order:
Omega Premium Jade
Zenith unbleached with olivewood handle
Zenith unbleached with white plastic handle
Semogue Torga C5
Omega Proraso Pro
Zenith with plastic handle
Semogue Owners Club

There will be a boar brush pass around starting back up in a few months. I suggest you consider trying out the various brushes. Every brush I just mentioned is in the pass around, plus others.

Part of finding the just right boar brush is like finding the right badger brush. What size knot do you like? what loft do you like? Enjoy the journey exploring boar brushes. They are a wonderful rabbit hole that doesn't cost much in comparison to badger. I have well over 25 boar brushes & enjoy them all. As I found what I like, I don't use all of them anymore.

Take your time breaking them in. I suggest soaking in water overnight on your counter, then flick the water a few times & brush a dozen or so times on a towel & let dry overnight. Next, Lather a good thick lather & let it sit overnight, rinse & wash, then brush on a towel a dozen or so times. Let dry overnight. After that, start using the brush. Give it a dozen or so uses to begin getting broken in. I suggest brushing on a towel after each washing to provide some rough surface for the brush tips to be in contact with, as that will aid in the beginning of splitting the tips. You want the tips to split to provide that wonderful boar softness. Allow the brush to thoroughly dry between uses as it is the wet dry cycle that causes the splitting.

Please let us know if you have more questions. And also keep us posted as to what you decide on getting. But most of all, enjoy the journey!!!!!

Reactions: saj
really appreciate all of your lots input but ive had a change of mind and decided not to get a boar brush, i do appreciate your lots help though thanks :)

really appreciate all of your lots input but ive had a change of mind and decided not to get a boar brush, i do appreciate your lots help though thanks :)
So, you want to train us not to try and answer your questions next time? :confused1

Spend $10-12 bucks on a budget boar, why not?

Reactions: saj
So, you want to train us not to try and answer your questions next time? :confused1

Spend $10-12 bucks on a budget boar, why not?
nah just was thinking whilst i was shaving that i need to try and have more self restraint lol

im going to find that grume thread and try not to get any shaving related gear

i do appreciate the help though thanks guys

nah just was thinking whilst i was shaving that i need to try and have more self restraint lol

im going to find that grume thread and try not to get any shaving related gear

i do appreciate the help though thanks guys
It's too late to join the GRUME for July, but August is right around the corner; we hope to see you there :cool:

Top Bottom