What's new

Which blades to you find to be inconsistent?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I get pretty much the same performance every time from Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, Astra SP, Crystal, and Feather, but I bought 100 Israeli Personnas and am finding them kind of inconsistent. Most tucks are fine from top to bottom, but a couple have had several blades that have been prickly and short lived. If I ever buy 100 of anything again, I'd like a high level of confidence that they will be consistent. I realize quality control cannot catch every issue, but I would love to hear if anyone else has encountered this issue with any specific blade(s).

I get pretty much the same performance every time from Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, Astra SP, Crystal, and Feather, but I bought 100 Israeli Personnas and am finding them kind of inconsistent. Most tucks are fine from top to bottom, but a couple have had several blades that have been prickly and short lived. If I ever buy 100 of anything again, I'd like a high level of confidence that they will be consistent. I realize quality control cannot catch every issue, but I would love to hear if anyone else has encountered this issue with any specific blade(s).
+1 on the IP Red blades, although I haven't tried their replacements from the new factory. I had one great IP Red blade, followed by 2 or 3 that were terrible (rough yet took a lot of effort to cut, resulting in shaves that were not close).

The odd thing is that I have a bulk 100 pack of IP Blue blades that have been fine. I haven't used one in quite some time but will revisit one soon.

I haven't tried the new German Personna blades because I am perfectly happy with the Accutec US Personna Lab Blue blades, which are my favorite.

The prices of the Israeli Personnas continue to climb, as people realize that the plant was shut down in 2019 or so.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
SuperMax. I got 200 Blue Diamond Titanium and 100 Super Stainless, and the good ones are very nice, albeit short lived, but they are interspersed with ones that aren't. That said, all 300 blades cost me less than £10 total including delivery, so it's no real hardship to sling the duff ones and enjoy the good.

Rapira Platinum Lux. First edge was quite nice, lasted 43 shaves so above average. Got about 15 on the other side and it was worse than a Derby Extra at 40 shaves. Pulled like crazy, although the shaves were decent. I have tough skin and don't mind a tuggy blade all that much, but this wasn't bearable.

Really too bad, I enjoyed the first edge.

That is unfortunate. I have had great consistency from the Personna Israeli Reds (so far). I still have over 500 of them so I guess time will tell if the inconsistency that you experienced will raise it’s ugly head.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
That is unfortunate. I have had great consistency from the Personna Israeli Reds (so far). I still have over 500 of them so I guess time will tell if the inconsistency that you experienced will raise it’s ugly head.
I am using one now that is terrific. I hope I am through the bad batch!

Well most I have tried were (a) bad from the first blade and remained so for the rest of the tuck or (b) initially good, but I later found to be inconsistent. Therefore, I can only name some of the second category - b: all Rapiras and Personnas. Mind you, I could revisit some blades (cat. a) I immediately labeled inadequate and find the manufacturer has done its homework on QC, in which case my list would include 30+ brands.

As far as blades go, my only constant is Feather's unmatched reliability. I estimate I have used 600+ of them in total.

All the blades I have tried thus far have been consistent. Either consistently good or consistently bad! However, I did shave with a Wilkinson Sword blade from a sampler pack. I shaved with three WS blades with the first one being very bad. I chalked it up to being a dud blade. The other two blades were much better.

Top Bottom