What's new

Which Blades Last Best?

Hi everyone...

I've come back to DE shaving after a few years in cartridge wilderness!

I've been working my way through some blade samples over the last few months - Derby, Wilkos, Red P's, Feathers, Merkurs... except for the latter, they are all quite good. However, none of them seem to last as long as the Gillettes and (old) Wilkinson Swords I used years ago. I'm sure I used to get seven or more shaves out of them without skipping and tugging.

I know they aren't expensive, but in the opinion of B&B's esteemed correspondents, which ones do you find the most durable?

Thanks
Tom

Take the number of active members on this site and give yourself a 10% margin of error. That should give you the approximate number of opinions you'll get as an answer to that question.

Case in point, I think Derbys last the longest. The person under me will probably say something else.

When I came back to DE shaving, I tracked the number of shaves I got from each kind of blade. My winner? Feathers. YMMV.

As Rapidchip states, it varies by member. It also depends how many passes and how heavy your beard. Thats a hard question to answer.

When I came back to DE shaving, I tracked the number of shaves I got from each kind of blade. My winner? Feathers. YMMV.

Perfect example. For me Feathers last the shortest! Red Personnas last a week, Feathers about 3 days, max. 2 is better. So the answer is to try them and see.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Feathers last pretty long, but you don't really want to use them after the third or fourth shave. To my mind, the only blade which seems to last longer than the rest of the pack is the Swedish Gillette.

Thanks for your opinions - I knew it would be pretty subjective!

Ouch - Haven't tried the Swedes yet, but they have a great reputation - I'll try to get a pack to try.

Today was #4 for a Feather in a 40s SS ... felt pretty close to day one. :biggrin: We'll see how it does tomorrow.

Astra Superior about 4 shaves.

I'm also wanting to try some Swedes.

I've found that I have to measure a blade's longevity in terms of passes. I have a very coarse beard that just eats up blades. I rarely am able to get more than 2 comfortable shaves out of any blade. :frown:

Most definitely the swedes for me too. Unfortunate that they're on the pricier side but once you're hooked......

So far the Gillette 7 o'clock blades last longest for me. A swede didn't last me more than 4-5 shaves, and I get twice that (minimum) from the 7 o'clocks.

Cheers.

J

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Feather doesn't last long for me, around 3 shaves, maybe. Ninja sharp!!
Derby, I think 5 shaves but I did not find them confortable.
Dorco, around 5 shaves also, good shave
Wilkinson Sword, same than Dorco. Good shave.
Astra. My favorite, for me they feel like Feather but last 5 shaves. I did 7 once with one of them...

I had very high expectation from Derby since it's very popular but it did not work for me.

Bottom line, you need to try them, that's the best way. I never had 7 o'clock or persona, they might be better than Astra... for me...

Top Bottom