Which blades are the sharpest?

Feather is my longest lasting blade...

Feather 34 shaves
G. SharpEdge 32 shaves
Astra SP 26 shaves
Wilkinson Sword 19 shaves
Derby Premium 16 shaves
Everything else I use 10-14 shaves

The additional shaves over what the Astra gives, are roughly what the Feather and SharpEdge take to smooth out to the same comfort level of a fresh Astra.
The issue is not about how long a Feather is shaveable, or even enjoyable but how long it retains initial sharpness. And on that score I'll trust objective tests over anecdotal, though by my reading the vast majority of Feather users are in line with the objective tests.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m about to order 100 BIC chromium platinum blades and I’m concerned about getting the genuine article. Any suggestions to insure I don’t get hornswaggled? Amazon has them for $13.65 but I’m suspicious.
I bought a while back from Ebaeee. Got a 100 useless blades. They don't cut but pull out your hairs..... Wasted $13. But hell, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. Let us know if you get them and if they are any good.
BTW the last 100 Gillette Yellow I got from Amazon are defective, rough as hell and under microscope= small rust spots and uneven edge (out of the box)......

I bought a while back from Ebaeee. Got a 100 useless blades. They don't cut but pull out your hairs..... Wasted $13. But hell, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. Let us know if you get them and if they are any good.
BTW the last 100 Gillette Yellow I got from Amazon are defective, rough as hell and under microscope= small rust spots and uneven edge (out of the box)......
That just confirms my suspicions. Sometimes you get a good deal and sometimes you don’t. I’ll probably just buy them from one of the well known shaving suppliers.

I’m about to order 100 BIC chromium platinum blades and I’m concerned about getting the genuine article. Any suggestions to insure I don’t get hornswaggled? Amazon has them for $13.65 but I’m suspicious.
I got mine from razor blades club. And very happy with this.

I'm just so happy I went exclusively vintage blades years ago and had the time to invest in acquiring them for prices per shave close to premium modern ones. At the prices I paid it was a no brainer.

rbss_2020.08.27.png
Based on real measurements.

I find that several vintage blades from the Golden Era approach Feather for sharpness, but are much smoother and less likely to cause weepers. Such blades include Gillette Swedes, Gillette Platinum Plus, and English-made Wilkinson Sword variants. They also last for many more shaves.

I find that several vintage blades from the Golden Era approach Feather for sharpness, but are much smoother and less likely to cause weepers. Such blades include Gillette Swedes, Gillette Platinum Plus, and English-made Wilkinson Sword variants. They also last for many more shaves.
This exactly. I use all the top brand/models of vintage blades exclusively and have for several years. I always keep a log of my daily shaves recording every aspect of them since I began wet shaving so I can tell you that since I started using these blades I get bbs results every time without fail and going a month or more without any slight trace of a weeper became the norm.

This exactly. I use all the top brand/models of vintage blades exclusively and have for several years. I always keep a log of my daily shaves recording every aspect of them since I began wet shaving so I can tell you that since I started using these blades I get bbs results every time without fail and going a month or more without any slight trace of a weeper became the norm.
Same here, @Mouser. I quickly learnt to use the lightest of touches with these blades - they cut so cleanly and smoothly that your bristles seem to be erased like magic.

Yeah Norm. If you pay attention to the condition of the blades, especially carbon ones but stainless too, there's nothing modern with as high a level of sharpness, smoothness and longevity combined. I'm sure with today's technology they could make them as good or better but it wouldn't be economically feasible to do so.

To add more of my two cents, to me Personna 74s and possibly Wilkie
LBs are at least, at least as sharp as Feathers, much smoother which Feathers aren't even and much longer lasting. But saying that I realize that they are not realistic options for most. You either have to be willing to spend what's asked for them, which I'm not or have the time and patience to acquire them at more reasonable prices, which I did. And when I was using modern blades I found Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows plenty sharp enough and, here's the easy part, smoother although I've been reading that something has changed about them and that they've dropped considerably in both regards.

Last edited:
To add more of my two cents, to me Personna 74s and possibly Wilkie
LBs are at least, at least as sharp as Feathers, much smoother which Feathers aren't even and much longer lasting. But saying that I realize that they are not realistic options for most. You either have to be willing to spend what's asked for them, which I'm not or have the time and patience to acquire them at more reasonable prices, which I did. And when I was using modern blades I found Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows plenty sharp enough and, here's the easy part, smoother although I've been reading that something has changed about them and that they've dropped considerably in both regards.

The 7 O'Clock Yellow are smooth blades. They are my blade of choice in aggressive razors. However, if you have a tough beard like I do, they are not nearly as sharp as some other blades.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The way I look at it is are the blades sufficiently sharp? To me comfort is more important than sharpness and though I have a very tough beard and require a sharp blade Feathers are not comfortable enough and do not last long enough. There are many other blades (Personna reds, med prep, Bic, GSB, 7 O'Clock yellow) that are nearly as sharp, but are more comfortable and cheaper

The way I look at it is are the blades sufficiently sharp? To me comfort is more important than sharpness and though I have a very tough beard and require a sharp blade Feathers are not comfortable enough and do not last long enough. There are many other blades (Personna reds, med prep, Bic, GSB, 7 O'Clock yellow) that are nearly as sharp, but are more comfortable and cheaper

I agree with most of your statements, but not all of them. While BIC blades are not quite as sharp as Feather blades out of the wrapper, they are every bit as sharp as Feather blades after then first shave. The same can be said for PermaSharp Super. Personna Israeli Reds are nearly as sharp, but not quite. The GSB and 7 O'Clock yellow are significantly less sharp, but as you indicated, they are comfortable blades. Like you, I do not like Feather blades. I can only get two (four pass) shaves from them before they are too harsh to use.

I have two different packs of Gillette Silver Blue. I purchased a pack from Amazon, it has medium sharpness and comfortable. The other one from a local shop in Turkey. These Silver Blue's are as Sharp as Feathers. I cannot shave daily with them.
Bic blades are very sharp but rough for the skin.
Perma-sharp super blades are sharper than new version , Gillette Perma-sharp. I like new Perma-sharp more. New Perma-sharp blades are more balanced.

I agree. There's a point of not diminishing returns,but no returns. There's a point of sharp enough to cut easily and sharper doesn't matter. Smooth is the rarer variable and the one I put a higher value on. There are plenty of blades more than sharp enough. Sliding up the smoothness scale is what I look for.

Feather Hi-Stainless <--- Very very sharp
Kai Stainless
Gillette Nacet
Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum
Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Stainless (red & white)
Polsilver Super Iridium & Wizamet Super Iridium (both are the same blade)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum
Gillette Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellow)
Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra Superior Stainless
Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword
Treet Platinum
Astra Superior Platinum <---- Middle of the road everyday shave
Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (green)
Perma-Sharp Super
German Wilkinson
ASCO Super Stainless (orange)
Parker Premium Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
Rapira Super Stainless
Rapira Swedish Super Steel
Ladas Super Stainless
Rockwell Swedish Stainless
Gillette Sputnik
Voskhod <---- This is the low level, not the lowest crap blade

Remember YMMV because everybody is different!!

Top Bottom