What's new

Which blades are the sharpest?

Feather has a reputation for being super sharp. Are there other blades out there that are as sharp or almost as sharp as Feather?

Debatable and YMMV, of course...all these average close to Feather, though they may not be initially as sharp, they remain sharper across more shaves...

Nearly as sharp, but better longevity...
BIC Chrome Platinum
Nacet
Perma-Sharp Super

Slightly less sharp, but better longevity...
Personna Med Prep
GSB
Polsilver/Wizamet Super Iridium

Best value blade award
Lord Silver Star

That's a partial list of blades I'm more familiar with

Last edited:
Some people love Feather blades. However, many people find that the edge deteriorates quickly. I can only get two good shave from a Feather. I cannot make it through the third shave (I do three passes plus a cleanup pass) before it becomes too harsh on my face.

Blades that I find to be very sharp are: Bic Chrome Platinum, Nacet, PermaSharp Super, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black), Personna Platinum (Israeli reds). A couple of lesser known blades that I find to be quite sharp are Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 and SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum.

One interesting thing about most coated blades is that they become sharper after the first shave. Sometimes, the change is dramatic. Feather blades are the very sharpest blades out of the wrapper, but by the second shave there are a number of blades sharper than Feather.

For me, the question of sharpness depends on how many shaves I have/want from the blade.

Feathers are sharpest out of the wrapper, but they fade quickly for me. In contrast, other blades (such as the Personna labs or Med Preps) get sharper after a shave or three, then remain sharp for a good while!

From what I tried, the Feather was the sharpest, or in other words, I have the easiest time cutting my whiskers.
Any other blade was tugging a but more then Feather.
Gillette Platinum and Rubie have the right combination of sharp and smooth, and they feel a lot like Feather. Not as sharp, but the shave has a very similar feeling.
As for longevity, I toss any blade after 3 shave, and for my everyday shaving the Feather performed very well. Might get a 100 pack at some point

The only other blade that has ever drawn a much blood as a feather (without feeling like it during shave) was the BIC Chrome Platinum. Nacets and Gillette Yellows are sharp, but nothing like the two previously mentioned IMO. Kai blades shave very aggressive, but not because they are as sharp as feathers, but because they are wider, thereby increasing blade exposure.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is my opinion or ball park thoughts on the blades that I have used. When you use a blade that is very sharp it will generally not be smooth for the 1st couple of shaves IMO because of the edge being so finite. Very sharp blades tend to nick or give weepers quickly if you do not have your technique dialed in also.(Not as forgiving as sharp and smooth blades most folks like.)
Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is not the smoothest for 1-2 shaves to me but has better longevity and is just as sharp as a feather initially but is more predictable for longevity and smooth's out over its life time as blade gets used.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!Stay safe in these times!

Last edited:
This is my opinion or ball park thoughts on the blades that I have used. When you use a blade that is very sharp it will generally not be smooth for the 1st couple of shaves IMO because of the edge being so finite. Very sharp blades tend to nick or give weepers quickly if you do not have your technique dialed in also.(Not as forgiving as sharp and smooth blades most folks like.) Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is not the smoothest for 1-2 shaves to me but has better longevity and is just as sharp as a feather initially but is more predictable for longevity and smooth's out over its life time as blade get used.
View attachment 1138348
Have some great shaves!Stay safe in these times!
I can only agree with rons list
For me kai, bic, nacet, Wilkinson come close and I even prefer.

I have to admit I chuckle when I see you put BIC Chrome at the bottom of your ranking. They are similar to Feathers in sharpness but do not degrade so quickly. YMMV strikes again.
[emoji23]
Unfortunately when I see that I just have to throw the rest of the ranking out as irrelevant , not that I trust reviews generally, but that's just bizarre. IMHO it comes down to this finding by Gillette:

"After discovering in his test lab that shavers could not tell the difference in blade sharpness, he was responsible for break-thru research that determined that blade sharpness was not a critical factor in receiving a good shave; rather a reduction in drag by hair clinging to the blade causing pulling was needed. This Drag Theory lead to the development of coated razor blades and specifically the Organosiloxane Gel coated Super Blue Blade (1959)."

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From what I tried, the Feather was the sharpest, or in other words, I have the easiest time cutting my whiskers.
Any other blade was tugging a but more then Feather.
Gillette Platinum and Rubie have the right combination of sharp and smooth, and they feel a lot like Feather. Not as sharp, but the shave has a very similar feeling.
As for longevity, I toss any blade after 3 shave, and for my everyday shaving the Feather performed very well. Might get a 100 pack at some point

Interesting.

For my tough beard, Gillette Platinum are much like the Gillette Silver Blue; they do fine in a fairly aggressive razor, but they are not sharp enough for a mild razor.

I have only tried one pack of Rubie Plus. They seemed to be much like Astra SP, which while they are the go-to blades for many folks, they just are not sharp enough for me in any razor I own.

The BIC is my favorite sharper blade. Not quite as sharp as the Feather, but oh so smooth. And smooth trumps sharp in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom