What's new

Which Blade Sounds Best In A Lambda Athena Razor

Thanks so much for the insights. You’re right, I’m in Poland, but it’ll be easy to get the blades and they cost very little. Helps me a lot to know you favour the Treet Classics, as I have no experience with Treets or indeed carbon steel blades.
I have all of their current carbon offerings. Dura-Sharp is likely the sharpest, Classics are sharp and smooth to me. Black Beauties work and are beautiful to look at. Falcon, Silver and New Steel have been hit or miss for me and the New Edge was awful in anything but my DOC which turns any nasty blade usable. If you only get one I recommend the Classic for sharpness and sound. I have a very rough afro beard and they do the job well. I didn't mean to turn the topic of the thread. Hope the carbons sing for you when you get them

Had my first shave with the Athena/Kai combo this am.

for me, the Kai definitely produces some "blade feel", and steals a bit of smoothness from the shave.
BUT... oh, how very close of a shave it resulted!
No nics/weepers/irritation, and about as close of a shave as I've ever had with any razor.

Good Combo.
after a few more shaves with the Kai:
"comfort" really takes a pretty big hit, (compared to a Nacet)
but on the flip-side, the closeness is really impressive.

24hrs. later, and everything is still pretty damn close and smooth.
I don't get this sort of "shave longevity" from any other razor I own.

Just need to constantly remind myself to maintain light pressure,
or else I'll create a few weepers...

after a few more shaves with the Kai:
"comfort" really takes a pretty big hit, (compared to a Nacet)
but on the flip-side, the closeness is really impressive.

24hrs. later, and everything is still pretty damn close and smooth.
I don't get this sort of "shave longevity" from any other razor I own.

Just need to constantly remind myself to maintain light pressure,
or else I'll create a few weepers...
Makes me want to try it with a Nacet if it makes the shave even more comfortable. I already find if comfortable and hard to get irritation with a Kai.

How does the Nacet sound compared to a Kai, though?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So far, I've only used Wizamet Super Iridium and USA Personna comfort coated blades in my Athena. I have limited experience in DE blades, period, so it's all pretty new to me. I have quite a bit of experience with AC blades but double edge razors are a new journey for me.

I have some Kai blades around, and I've used the 7 O'clock black blades quite a few times in other razors and they work well for me. The other blades I have around are the KCG, Gillette Platinum "Light", Perma-Sharps. I have used the King C Gillette blades in the British Flat Bottom Tech a few times and liked them a lot, but I only bought a ten tuck. Oh, and I have some Astra Superior Platinum Green blades our son gave me. I read a lot of mixed reviews of them here. I think they might be a bit too mild for me, but who knows?

For me, both the Wizamet and Personna's sound pretty similar.... such a beautiful timbre.

So far, I've only used Wizamet Super Iridium and USA Personna comfort coated blades in my Athena. I have limited experience in DE blades, period, so it's all pretty new to me. I have quite a bit of experience with AC blades but double edge razors are a new journey for me.

I have some Kai blades around, and I've used the 7 O'clock black blades quite a few times in other razors and they work well for me. The other blades I have around are the KCG, Gillette Platinum "Light", Perma-Sharps. I have used the King C Gillette blades in the British Flat Bottom Tech a few times and liked them a lot, but I only bought a ten tuck. Oh, and I have some Astra Superior Platinum Green blades our son gave me. I read a lot of mixed reviews of them here. I think they might be a bit too mild for me, but who knows?

For me, both the Wizamet and Personna's sound pretty similar.... such a beautiful timbre.
I recommend you try one of the Bic Astors that came with your Athena. Seemed like a good blade, but the sound was way better than Kai or Personna.

more shaves with the Kai,
and I like it in this razor.

requires a light pressure,
or it will result in wheepers…

But when the stars align,
its an amazingly close and comfortable shave.

closer than with other blades?
maybe.
requires more dedicated testing…

Top Bottom