What's new

Which blade next?

I started DE shaving about a month ago and chose the Astra SP blade to begin with and I really like it. However, I'm almost finished with the pack and contemplating what I should choose next out of my sample pack. This is what remains in my sample pack; Feather New Hi-Stainless, Personna Platinum, Derby Extra and Crystal Double Edge Stainless Steel Blades. I know it doesn't really matter, just putting it out there. I'm excited to use them all, but I want to try to give them all a chance and find my blade by working through a full pack before switching. I'm thinking Feather or Crystal next.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

You should use the Feather's last, after trying them you may not want another blade! I've had great success with Personna as well as Feather. Enjoy the journey and welcome to B&B.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You should use the Feather's last, after trying them you may not want another blade! I've had great success with Personna as well as Feather. Enjoy the journey and welcome to B&B.

+1

And/or: wait until your technique is better or you might think you just made a donation to the blood bank.

If you feel like you are getting a good shave from the Astra I would say you are ready to sample any of the others. I almost stopped trying a DE because I started with Derby and hated them. Glad I tried other blades. The feather will teach you to be light handed quick!

While not on your list, I recently tried a Personna Med Prep blade and it was the best shave I have had in my short DE career. I have tried Astra SP, Astra SS, Derby and Feather. The Astra SS was probably the best shave I had until the Med Preps.

$personna.png

I don't know if you can see it, but the paper packet says Personna platinum super stainless, the actual blade says Personna platinum chrome. This was the least expensive sample pack from West Coast Shave.

Last edited:

He is right in some way! It will spoil rest of your blades because you will keep thinking abkut feathers while you are testing rest of the blades. (this is exactlt what i am doing, when i have suboptimal shave, i keep wishing i had used feather instead)

However, i look at it this way. Feather was so impressive that i did not find anything remotely as sharp throughout my tests ( i know some people's skin cant take it).

Assuming you fall in love with your feather, you can us3 it as a gauge when testing other blades.

So far, i have found gab pretty close in sharpness, and i believe med prep, black 7 oclock, nacet will come close, but ibhave not tried them yet.

So if nothing beats feather in the end, feather will remain my favorite blade, and i will keep some blades that were second and third for rotations.

Having that said, go with feather, :)

+1

And/or: wait until your technique is better or you might think you just made a donation to the blood bank.

I think this might be an over exaggeration. I was still a noob when i tested my feather, and i fell in love with it immediately. Had no cuts or nothing. Just had to go slower so i dont get accidental nicks.

Personally, when I started I liked (and still think I do like) Personnas much better than Astra SPs. Something about the Astra's left me feeling a little raw, even the feathers don't do that. I'm doing the same thing though....I've got Crystals, Derby's, Wilkinson Swords, and Gillette 7 O'clock's to try....one of which gets called off the bench this morning.

View attachment 566506

I don't know if you can see it, but the paper packet says Personna platinum super stainless, the actual blade says Personna platinum chrome. This was the least expensive sample pack from West Coast Shave.

It appears that we both bought the same sample pack from WCS. I also liked the Astra blades and so far have given me the best two pass shave. Crystals and Derbys didn't do a whole lot for me. I'm going to try the Red Personnas next. Saving the Feathers for last.

Ah the red IP.
nice blades. There's also regular is Israeli personnas out there. Many names. Crystal, viking sword, etc.
enjoy them!!!
I live personnas lab blues.

Top Bottom