What's new

Which blade is the smoothest for you?? Not the closest or best blade - just the smoothest

For me, Voskhod is the smoothest with Shark SS and Derby Extra in hot pursuit.

My favorites differ depending on the razor of the day.
Personna Lab Blues, German Wilkies, Derby Extra, 7 O'Clock SS, Feather.

Derby.

These used to be very popular blades on Badger and Blade, before the quest for sharpness seemed to really take hold.

I think expectations have changed. At one time guys on the forums focused on getting a decent shave to beat the price of cartridges. Now everybody wants a better shave than a cartridge.

I don't really want to get into the discussion that's happening in parallel with the original topic of this thread, but I think it's worthwhile taking a moment to consider the people on this forum (and others) who routinely use a blade way past the point where the rest of us would have binned it. Sure some are doing it just for the challenge of getting crazy high shave counts, but others insist they do it to experience truly smooth shaves. Common sense tells me those heavily used blades must be well past their best from a sharpness perspective, and yet the people using them are obviously happy with the shaves they're getting.

Tests done in the 60's regarding blade coating showed that people are poor judges of a blades sharpness, and most razor blades retain their sharpness longer than most people perceive the blades actually being sharp. What people actually notice more is the smoothness.

So far the smoothest of the blades i've tried are the ones considered sharpest -- Feather and Bic. The worst problem against smoothness for me is "chattering", and the sharper blades make it through my beard more easily without inducing the chattering effect. When I respect the blade, they are nicely smooth. When I forget to respect them (too much pressure or excessive angle), they don't hesitate to remind me :)

1.) Gillette Platinum. Smooth-Daddy Extraordinaire from the first shave onward. Sharper and smoother than the old Polish PolSilver IMHO (don't throw things at me - I know PolSilvers have a dedicated following.... its just my opinion)

2.) Bic Chrome Platinum. It's sharper than the GP, so you must be careful because it's damned sharp - so don't go carelessly hammering away at your face with an aggressive razor loaded with a BP after coming home from a pub at night. But if your technique is good and you enjoy the shave and don't rush things - it is a very smooth blade and a very satisfying shave - particularly if you have coarse hair. The feel is sort of like a really sharp GSB. It has that precise "sharp as F" feel without feeling harsh. I really like the feel of this blade.

3.) Personna Lab Blue. The coating seemed thicker on the older ones. The newer ones (post 2016 box date) seem very similar to the MedPreps which is to say that they don't take a couple of shaves to settle-in. The new ones have a laser-etched logo rather than a smeary-ink logo on the blade. Usually when blades change, they get worse. This is the first time I've liked a new version of a blade.

Heavy dose of YMMV on this. No two people agree 100% on blades. Many variables affect what you will perceive to be "smooth". If I had to use only one of these three blades from here on out, I'd be fine. All three are that good.

I find the Personna Lab Blue, Rapira Sweedish Supersteel, and Personna Platinum Chrome / Reds to be the smoothest for me.

I would note that I also found the Voskhod blades very smooth, but not sharp enough to cut my wiry wiskers.

I've been trying lots of different blades lately, with some really good results, but nothing has unseated PolSilver Super Iridium for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been making a little picture chart over the years when I Was looking for the best blade and found some real good ones that work for myself. Top to the left are my preferred blades and work real well. Sharp and Smooth to sharpest are the ones I like right to the bottom of the chart. The nice thing about shaving I learned every one is opinionated and that's OK, our skin & beard whisker types can vary so should blade preference I guess!

Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Have some great shaves!

If it's pure smooth, Shark Super Stainless for me. Not the sharpest blade in my arsenal, but very smooth, no cuts or weepers.

I have been making a little picture chart over the years when I Was looking for the best blade and found some real good ones that work for myself. Top to the left are my preferred blades and work real well. Sharp and Smooth to sharpest are the ones I like right to the bottom of the chart. The nice thing about shaving I learned every one is opinionated and that's OK, our skin & beard whisker types can vary so should blade preference I guess!

View attachment 1071070
Have some great shaves!

I would put BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacets up in the same category as Feather, at least after the 1st shave. On the other hand, I would put Astra Super Platinum just to the right of Voskhod, but not so far as Derby. But as you say, everyone is different.

Top Bottom