What's new

Which blade for new R41

Received my new Muhle R41 today and will use it tomorrow for the first time. My question, since it's reputed to be very aggressive, which blade should I use: Derby, Personna or Feather? I also have Astras, 7 O'clocks and Polsilvers to name a few. I've been think of using the Derby as it's not aggressive and very smooth.Or should I plug in a Feather and see what it can do? I'll have two days growth.

Congrats on the new hardware!

Blades are really subjective and what works great for one face may fail on another. Personna Reds and Feathers are all I use because trial and error have proven them to be good for me. Since you have both of these, I would personally try the Personna first and go from there

What blade do you typically use in other razors? I tend to start with a familiar blade New razors. For what its worth, I use Astra SPs and Feathers in mine.

Thanks, I'll probably go with Personna Lab or Polsilver in it. I was just wondering because it has a reputation of being very aggressive.

I received mine a few weeks ago. The first and second shave with it I used a Feather. I wanted to push it to the maximum aggressiveness possible. The first shave was excellent, on the second I got quite a few cuts and weepers and the blade felt coarse.
You can try it so long as you are careful. I've been traditionally wetshaving full time for two and a half years now and no longer consider myself a newbie but still Feathers demand the utmost concentration.

I use Nacets in my R41. A great combination of sharpness and smoothness.

+1. Nacets here too, and also Yellows and Astra SPs. Contrary to what you think, you need the sharpest blade possible so it cuts and doesn't tug. The only downside to the R41 is that with a dull blade it can tug a bit. I don't find it aggressive - never had an issue with it. Get the angle right, no pressure, take your time and a sharp blade will do the rest. It's just a very precise tool. It does what you want it to do. I like a heavier handle - titanium 53g in my case. The standard handle is listed at 32g and in my view that isn't enough.

I've used Nacets, Israeli Personna, Astra SP and Sharpedge Yellows so far. Personna were the least interesting so they didn't make the rotation. Astra is probably the smoothest, and still sharp. That leaves Nacets and Yellows to slug it out. I've no quarrel with Nacets - they're certainly sharp, and I use them regularly in my razors. But I shaved today with a new Yellow and damn, it was good. Sharp and smooth, and may just edge it over the others.

I’ve been finding that sharper is better in this razor. Feathers are best so far with several days beard. Personna labs so far seem to be very smooth and efficient. This razor is a joy to experiment with!

Received my new Muhle R41 today and will use it tomorrow for the first time. My question, since it's reputed to be very aggressive, which blade should I use: Derby, Personna or Feather? I also have Astras, 7 O'clocks and Polsilvers to name a few. I've been think of using the Derby as it's not aggressive and very smooth.Or should I plug in a Feather and see what it can do? I'll have two days growth.

Congratulations on a very nice razor.
When I first received my R41 I tried a number of blades and for me Muhle's own blades was the best since they are quite mild, but not as mild as Derby.
Since last year when I got the hang of it and have a better technique I prefer Feather blades.

I started with Derby blades. they were ok but still tugged until I discovered that for me and my 41, Voskhods gave lovely smooth shave.

I just had my first shave with a new R41. The Muhle blade that came with it was extremely comfortable. I had to double check that it had even cut the stubble, it had, almost all of it. Even areas that I usually have trouble with tugging and irritation with milder razors, this thing just glided through feeling like there was no blade in it.

Top Bottom