What's new

Which blade for Feather Artist Club / Kai clone

Entirely up to you, but if you have some experience with a straight or DE bladed shavette and then I might recommend the Pro blade (even if you are not yet a proficient shaver). If you have almost no experience with an open blade then either the Soft Guard or Pro Guard may be advisable to start with. If you do not get a blade sampler and are planning order 20 blade packs then I would recommend ordering one pack of Soft Guard (or alternatively Pro Guard) and one pack of Pro blades (and Super Pro while you are at it, so that you can compare them a little later on).

That way you can get start with one of the guarded blades so that you draw less blood as you develop muscle memory. And then switch over to the Pro blade as your technique improves. If you generally like the Feather Pro blade, then you have options from Kai and Schick to consider when you reorder.

It is entirely up to you, however, I would recommend that you stay with one blade for a while until you're comfortable with handling the new razor. Don't buy a bunch of blade types and change them out while you're learning.

My history with the Artist Club was that I purchased the Professional Supers and I got proficient with them. Then, I purchased the lighter blades and began experimenting with them. My injury/nick rate climbed significantly. Back to the Pro Supers. They're all I use in my Artist Club now.

Don

It is entirely up to you, however, I would recommend that you stay with one blade for a while until you're comfortable with handling the new razor. Don't buy a bunch of blade types and change them out while you're learning.

My history with the Artist Club was that I purchased the Professional Supers and I got proficient with them. Then, I purchased the lighter blades and began experimenting with them. My injury/nick rate climbed significantly. Back to the Pro Supers. They're all I use in my Artist Club now.

Don
Good point. That is why I would recommend the regular Professional for a straight begginer, in that the cutting angle will be the same between any of the guarded blades or non-Feather manufactured blades. Which should help make the learning curve easier to navigate as a person figures out proper angle and pressure.

Even though in some other aspects the Super Pros may be better in that they can be used at a more shallow angle. In areas where a comfortable result is valued over BBS, they can be held practically flat letting the spine do the guiding. I sometimes did that below the jawline. But now I more often use the Pro blades.

@abj I strongly recommend against starting out with the Feather branded blades, as they are sharper than obsidian glass, and MUCH sharper than the other offerings in this format.

I recommend starting with Dorcos, which are the other end of the scale. They are a wee bit rough, but you can strop them on denim or linen to soften them. From there I suggest you progress to the Kais, then the Shicks, before daring to try the Feathers. I wish I had as it would have made learning this format MUCH easier.

Good luck.

Reactions: abj
Thx. I'll order some at Maggards

I strongly recommend you start with guarded blades. In fact, you never have to go unguarded.

I shaved over a year with straights, then bought an artist club razor. It cuts me every time I use an unguarded blade! Those things are definitely sharper than a SR.

YMMV, but dont be a hero

I believe one can adapt to whichever blade brand and size they chose, it is just a matter of gaining experience and refining technique.

If you want blades which feel rough and are not very sharp then order some of those third party blades available on AliExpress. IMO they are not very sharp when compared to others and could even be described as a bit "tuggy" when brand new out of the box. Their sharpness was similar to a Feather blade after it has been used for many shaves, but still not as smooth. In spite of this negative review they felt fairly consistent over 6-7 shaves (I tossed a couple of blades at or before that point and have not explored their limits yet). I could imagine adjusting to them and thinking they were okay. If I was a barber using a new blade each shave then I would definitely consider using them full time.

I believe one can adapt to whichever blade brand and size they chose, it is just a matter of gaining experience and refining technique.

Agree 100%. Don't be afraid of Feathers. I was nervous starting out with the Pro Supers but they worked out fine for me. No major cuts or gashes. I've committed the angle and shave stroke to memory. Using lighter blades leads to nicks.

Don

I started with the Kai Protouch MG blades. If you're new to shavettes, I'd recommend those or the Feather Proguards.

After a fair bit of experience, I found myself only occasionally using the Protouch guarded blade when I want a quick shave. For daily shaving, I found I prefer the Kai Mild blades. For heavy stubble, Feather Pro Supers are my blade of choice. Do NOT even bother with the generic Chinese blades that are available or included with the razor.

Also FYI, I recently uploaded a Youtube video of myself shaving with the same razor that the @abj ordered. In this case, I'm using a Pro Super blade. Perhaps it might help you with technique, but we're all unique snowflakes. What works for me may not work for you.

Please forgive the poor lighting and incessant rambling. This video was not originally meant for public consumption, but I thought it was worth sharing with the community.

I started out with Pro Supers in my AC SS and have stuck with them.

That razor & blade combo actually convinced me that I could enjoy shaving with a straight when I was waffling - my first straight razor, purchased from a guy who was and still is highly recommended on another forum, was finished with an ILR hone with three or four layers of tape and just didn't shave that well for me, but as a neophyte I simply took others assurances that it was "shave ready" (as if that were a universal and binary thing!) and thought that it was simply a given that straights were kind of tuggy. The AC SS with pro supers taught me otherwise. My first shave with them was actually in a hotel bathroom the morning before a cousin's wedding, and the results were spectacular and I fell in love immediately. As shallow of an angle and as little pressure as you can manage while keeping the edge in contact with your skin and you're in like Flynn.

I find the professionals to be the best. Not the supers although you can graduate to those. Light touch no matter which blade you use.

Schick Proline blades are the best, and it's not really close. They are super sharp but smooth. They feel great from the first shave all the way through to about the 14-16th or so.

How many shaves do you get on average with the feather AC ss blades?
Depends on the blade. I can get upwards of 12-15 shaves with a Kai Captain Standard or Schick Proline. 9-12 with a Feather Pro Super or Kai Protouch MG, 8-10 with a Kai Mild. I always remove, towel strop, and air out my blades after each use.

YMMV depending on how course/dense your whiskers are and other factors.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Recently picked up a "Sally SS" just for grins. I have some Pro, ProGuard, ProTouch and Mild blades already. I started with a Kai ProTouch but found (again) that it doesn't seem to cut much for me no matter what razor I put it in. I'll try the regular Kai Mild next but ready to step back to the Feather ProGuard if needed. I've used the ProGuard before and like it better than the Kai ProTouch.

O.H.

Top Bottom