What's new

Which area do you find trickiest to shave?

Which area do you find trickiest to shave to BBS?

• Cheeks

• Moustache

• Below lip and chn

• Left neck

• Middle neck

• Right Neck

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lower right neck. My beard just grows in a crazy pattern there and despite my best efforts, I still have to hit that one spot with a DE after my straight shave to get it just right. Have tried everything; extra stretching, pulling the skin over, doubling up on the WTG & ATG passes, etc.. No luck.

Last edited:
Just below the chin is my trickiest area. The angles of the jawbone combined with the sudden shift in hair-growth pattern conspire against me.

Just to the right of my chin along the jawline. Don't know why, but only yesterday did I figure out how to get that area smooth without irritation. And I've been at this since the 2nd week in Feb. Okay, that's not very long:001_rolle, but it's been giving me fits. Well, hopefully, I have finally vanquished the foe!:shaving:

My option isn't listed - bottom of neck. My grain switches without gradiant from WE/EW to NS/NS about a half inch above the bottom of my neck growth. Extremely difficult to not irritate that transition line.

For me it's the point of the chin. Combination of tight curve and wiry whiskers. I know why some people wear goatees.

I had a moustache for years and when I first shaved it I was surprised how hard that was to do. Very tough whiskers and very sensitive skin, having been protected from the elements for so long. Nowadays it's not to bad. Still tough but the skin has toughened up.

Just curious why you differentiate between the right and left side of the neck. They seem exactly the same to me, and no, I'm not ambidextrous. Do some people have more trouble with one side than the other?

Yup, on my left there is a spot where the hair makes a whirl (swirl, circle whatever) about the size of a dime. It was easy with a DE, just J-hook at different starting angles. I am not deft enough yet to pull it off with a straight.

Just curious why you differentiate between the right and left side of the neck. They seem exactly the same to me, and no, I'm not ambidextrous. Do some people have more trouble with one side than the other?

I have a problem with the right side of my neck. Today I thought i was doing awesome until I felt that unmistakable sensation gripped my neck. I had a nice straight red line today just under my right jawbone, not too messy but it hurt and left a mark. Seems this happens every few days when I get a little too fast on my south to north strokes.

Hi
Just above my top lip and corners of my lip, ( I have just nicked it again) and the base of my jaw line where it is closest to my ear, always a tuff area to get BBS.
I used alum this morning to stop the bleeding on my lip, eek! it tastes fowl!

Andy

Yes, a side of your neck can be sort of a "blind spot" for straights. I agree with you about double-edge razors (since they are smaller and their grip is easier to maintain). However, if you are one-handed with a straight, the 90-degree angle you hold it at can cause trouble and discomfort in one area.

Another factor is hair most often does not grow parallel from one side to another. My right side grows almost one entire direction, but my otherside grows in a sort of "circle" meaning an ATG pass is all over the place, and therefore difficult.

The neck from right under the chin to below the adam's apple. The hair lays so close the skin, and the grain runs in several different directions, so that unless I want a pile of weepers, there is no BBS.

I have a terrible time with the point of my chin, more or less straight down from one side of my mouth to the other. I'm alright with the area directly under my lower lip, but the front part of my lower jaw is damn near impossible for me to get completely smooth.

Top Bottom