What's new

Which acquisition disorder hits you hardest?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
CCS/DFS/BBS. I chase after that fully knowing I haven’t developed the chops to do so without scraping my face raw. Unlike the other ADs, I can’t find a valid coupon for it online

I am becoming a minimalist one razor, one soap, and one brush. With blades I have an assortment to begin using once the Fixed Four for Any Month ends on the 31st. Except for blades, I will only buy replacement(s) when something is used up (soap) or breaks (razor or brush).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Live and work in a place where your local income is 4.5 to 5.5 times smaller compared to USD, £ or €, and shipping of brushes is real difficult (high shipping cost)... :laugh: :laugh: I have never buy any brushes from the US, UK & EU.
Then again, Aliexpress is very near....and sales happened frequently. That's why all my brushes are from there...affordable albeit limited. Alas, my appetite for brushes from Aliexpress is for now very much reduced due to the looooong shipping wait. I am still waiting for my last 2 brushes...
I don't go searching & looking at brushes anymore...rather just look at soaps, aftershaves, Karve & Timeless.

In conclusion, due to limited buying power, I can only choose 1 AD....for now.
I'm in a similar situation to you. That's why I gravitated to matching seven-day sets of SR's. Buying in bulk allows shipping from China with the likes of FedEx for relatively economical rates.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am becoming a minimalist one razor, one soap, and one brush. With blades I have an assortment to begin using once the Fixed Four for Any Month ends on the 31st. Except for blades, I will only buy replacement(s) when something is used up (soap) or breaks (razor or brush).
You're a sick man. I'm sure that some here can give you advice on how to at least treat the symptoms.

I'm in a similar situation to you. That's why I gravitated to matching seven-day sets of SR's. Buying in bulk allows shipping from China with the likes of FedEx for relatively economical rates.
I wish I have your patience and skills for making up the matching seven-day sets of SR's!!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I wish I have your patience and skills for making up the matching seven-day sets of SR's!!
Patience yes, but not a lot of skill required. I buy new SR's, preferably 7 at a time and hone them up. I have a case made by local furniture manufacturer and have the engraving done by another local laser engraving firm.

PM me if you are interested in a case design. I do the designs for free because most here on B&B cannot afford my normal professional rates.

For me it was razors--I started collecting vintage and it's truly a bottomless pit. That seemed to cure itself when my collection g.ot to a certain size (probably 40 razors). I have zero interest in visiting antique shops anymore. I've tried almost all of my razors, and my rotation is down to just a couple (OneBlade Genesis, Mamba .70, and Fatboy or Slim).

Soaps are my current weakness, but I always stop buying once I'm up to 10 or 12. Currently I have 8 and my goal is to keep my rotation below 5.

most often razors, but I try not to do it anymore because I have enough, although you still want to try what you have not tried yet, a few soaps and a supply of blades ... you have to suppress the addiction of buying and trying😖

First it's the razors. The interesting razors that I don't have are all higher price tag items. Second is brushes. Soaps not so much. Even though I have more soaps than I could probably ever use, the price tags are usually pretty reasonable. I got a sample of MDC just to see what the hype is all about. Great soap, but it satisfied me as to the point I don't need a full size jar.

I was a good boy for 12 years of wet shaving. 1 razor for 10, broke it during travel, and ordered a replacement. One hundred pack of blades, replaced at the 10 year mark. 1 brush the whole time, and soap as I used it. I recently started SR shaving with an acquisition from a friend. I remembered B&B (I lurked here years ago when I first started wet shaving), and started looking into technique and whatnot. Im currently away from home, but in the past couple of month I’ve ordered 2 vintage SRs (1 US, 1 Sheffield), hones, a new brush, and an assorted lot of vintage Gillette DE razors. Just waiting to get home to my family... then my razors lol. Sigh... well I saved money for years wet shaving I guess acquisition disorder finally got me.

Soap hit me the hardest by far. I spent 2015 through 2020 knocking down my soap and cream stash from over 50 to a much more manageable 4-5, consisting of Williams for the spring and summer, MWF for the winter, CBL Tonsorial for when I have a vintage Williams itch but don't want to break out a vintage puck, and a Stirling seasonal for autumn and Christmastime.

A handful of brushes, 8 DE's primarily vintage Gillette, primarily drug store AS splashes, and less than 100 blades. I'd say I've effectively kicked the AD habit!

The last month has been a SAD and BAD month. 7 soaps with 2 yet to be delivered and 2 brushes on the way. For the most part its soaps that get me, I like new scents or soaps I haven't tried.

Brushes. I don’t have as many as some, but more than a lot.

I can’t help it; see a new cool one and have to have a new shape, knot etc

I have a ton of soaps, but I’ve restricted myself to rebuying things I know work and that I really like and am running out of. Seasonal releases and the like.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've had them all at one time or another. Actually for a few years I had them all at once- that was rough. But I haven't bought a razor or any blades since 2015, it's been at least 3 years since I bought any after shave, and I haven't bought any soap or cream since just after Christmas 2017. But in the past 2 years I've bought 3 Paladins and 3 Simpson synthetics and several Simpsons' badgers. I had to celebrate Simpsons' Centenary, of course. So when it comes to acquisition disorders I've nearly got a 'handle" on it (heh heh).

Brushes.

Soaps, I found what I like and I'll slowly try out the new stuff just for curiosity.

Razors, I found what I like... no need for others but I'll be interested in budget options.

Back to brushes, I have a lot that I enjoy using. But.. the handles are so beautifully turned by artisans. It's like a collectible/functional art piece that looks great in your den. I can use it, enjoy it, and share the art with others. I'm a little more iffy on the knots because I've found several that I like. But for beautiful handles, my taste changes here and there and there's plethora and vintage and modern looks that just ceases to amaze me. Brushes man.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razors(RAD) most of all my shaving gear, I like the vintage brands that are still very good and some modern. Over 40 razors in rotation and just loving it. Rad has whimpered a lot this year, 2019 was a lot of razor purchases. This 2020 yr only one razor for $5.00 and someone gave me one also . I look at shaving costs differently than some and most of my shaving gear have been bought by savings cutting my own hair and no purchases of cartridge razors over 3 1/2 years.

Top Bottom