What's new

Which .45

Off my radar. Added to list
Not to push a 1911 on you, but if this is for the home a nice 1911 would be my choice. Caring a heavy 1911 around all day is a different story, but for home defense you’re not even entertaining that idea. For me, the weight and recoil makes the 1911 a dream to shoot and the single stack, zero failures gives me confidence for a home defense gun. The HK & Sig are both very fine guns, and you could not go wrong with either. I’d say go to a good range and try them all. But in the end, none of them are as good as that shotgun you mentioned for the home. Best of luck with your decision.

Not to push a 1911 on you, but if this is for the home a nice 1911 would be my choice. Caring a heavy 1911 around all day is a different story, but for home defense you’re not even entertaining that idea. For me, the weight and recoil makes the 1911 a dream to shoot and the single stack, zero failures gives me confidence for a home defense gun. The HK & Sig are both very fine guns, and you could not go wrong with either. I’d say go to a good range and try them all. But in the end, none of them are as good as that shotgun you mentioned for the home. Best of luck with your decision.
Thank you for your well stated input and experience. I appreciate it

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Walther PPQ 45
SIG 320
H&K 45
Not interested in 1911 clones

A full-size P220 was my carry for a number of years. IMO, probably the best overall 45 semi ever made. Dependable to no end and accurate as hell. Don't fixate on the German ones. The Exeters and later US ones are just as good. You can put 10,000 rounds through one before it needs significant service.

If I were to recommend a 45 acp, it would be that one. You simply cannot go wrong with a P220. If you get a later one, be sure to upgrade the plastic recoil pin to a metal one.

But a P220 is a lot of gun to carry, especially in summer. Hard to conceal one. As I've gotten older, I've switched my carry over to a P360 in a Galco lite shoulder rig. You barely notice it. You barely feel it. And you can carry 12+1 in one. A lovely carry.

So the P220 now relaxes at bedside, with a Hogue grip, for Mrs. Columbo to use for home defense.

Not to reopen a never-ending debate, but a 9mm will protect just as well as a 45 in a PD situation. A double-tap of either will put down an attacker. Choose your load carefully.

Nevertheless, as the saying goes, "a 9mm kills the body, but a 45 kills the soul."

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Agreed. A pump 12 gauge is the ultimate home defense weapon.

The best thing about a pump shotgun for home defense is that most of the time, you never even have to fire it.

Everyone knows that sound. And most will turn tail and run right out the door just at the sound of one.

If you can't have a Wingmaster, an nice older 870 is always welcome in any collection.

The P320 on your list is great, lots of modular choices (4) that you can quickly change your gun from subcompact carry to full-size on the cheap. But if this your home defense and you don’t plan on making all those modular choice, I’m with Columbo, I’d lean towards the P220. Again, two great guns, couldn’t go wrong with either. Let the gun range choose which one you prefer.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’ve fired the 320 on a number of occasions in a number of versions. It’s a nifty little guy, and Sig turned it into a Swiss pocket knife of sorts ... the Transformer of Sigs.

But in 45 trim, I didn’t feel it to be as stable a platform as a 220. Probably due to the mass difference. The 320 can present a little too much rise if you need to squeeze off more than one in a hurry, especially at longer distances. It was ok, but busy. By comparison, the 220 stays calm and buttery smooth through all that ruckus. That’s the advantage of a full-size all metal gun. And why I am no fan of smaller, lighter 45s. Too much load for not enough gun. Just suck it up and carry 9mm if you need a compact or lightweight.

I’ve always pigeonholed the 320 as a 9mm platform as a result, where it does an exemplary job.

One of the problems with Sigs in recent years is that their line cards have turned somewhat into a twelve ring circus, with too many sub models and variations to keep track of anymore. But the high quality (for the most part) has remained consistent with the premium prices.

As others have stated, there’s only one sure way to determine what’s right for you. And that’s to run through a few magazines in each at the range.

The best thing about a pump shotgun for home defense is that most of the time, you never even have to fire it.

Everyone knows that sound. And most will turn tail and run right out the door just at the sound of one.

I wish this anecdote/fable which has kind of grown into a "fact" with no real evidence to back it up, would go away forever.

If racking the 'ole Mossberg had, indeed, caused the burglars to flee during the 6 or 7 home invasions a person experienced last year, it might have more credence... but c'mon! A criminal act is NEVER a scripted event. Videos I've seen of home burglaries/robberies resemble a circus tumbling act without the polish of the rehearsal a tumbling act would have! I think it's a bad idea to base the defense of your home on sound effects and any skills you may have as a Foley artist.

I've looked, and I'm willing to stand corrected if there's evidence to prove me wrong, but I know of no home invasions/burglaries that were thwarted by the sound of a racked shotgun.

I hope to God no one ever has to defend their home with deadly force. It would be a sobering experience with lifelong consequences, based on split second decisions in the panic of the moment, that a jury will be looking at with 20/20 hindsight.

Don

IMG_0917.jpeg

As stated earlier, The SIG P220 can be a little cumbersome. However with the proper rig, comfort and concealment are just fine.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I wish this anecdote/fable which has kind of grown into a "fact" with no real evidence to back it up, would go away forever.

If racking the 'ole Mossberg had, indeed, caused the burglars to flee during the 6 or 7 home invasions a person experienced last year, it might have more credence... but c'mon! A criminal act is NEVER a scripted event. Videos I've seen of home burglaries/robberies resemble a circus tumbling act without the polish of the rehearsal a tumbling act would have! I think it's a bad idea to base the defense of your home on sound effects and any skills you may have as a Foley artist.

I've looked, and I'm willing to stand corrected if there's evidence to prove me wrong, but I know of no home invasions/burglaries that were thwarted by the sound of a racked shotgun.

I hope to God no one ever has to defend their home with deadly force. It would be a sobering experience with lifelong consequences, based on split second decisions in the panic of the moment, that a jury will be looking at with 20/20 hindsight.

Don

This guy gets it. Great post.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Don

Lighten up, Francis.

If racking one into the chamber doesn’t chase them off, there is no better weapon for close quarters, especially for the less experienced. Then your visitor has a bad day.

But I guarantee it gets their attention. The smart ones leave. The dumb ones leave, too.

Whether your jurisdiction recognizes Castle Doctrine is another issue altogether. Where I live, they are allowed to leave 8 or 9 pellets heavier.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
View attachment 1121137

As stated earlier, The SIG P220 can be a little cumbersome. However with the proper rig, comfort and concealment are just fine.

A very nice rig. That’s I how carried mine at the end, too. Nothing is more comfortable than a shoulder carry. I’m sorry I put it off for so long, frankly. For a lot of years, I carried in a sky cop cross-draw. But as the years (and pounds) wore on, it became an increasing chore, especially in the car.

I think my 365 might be smaller than my wallet. Fine for what I do nowadays.

About racking a shotgun. The last thing I want to have is an empty gun when intruders make entry. First, the gun may malfunction when you rack it. Second, I probably don't want to give away my position in the house.

I also wish that bad advice would go away.

Top Bottom