What's new

Where's the clutch?

Nice looking rig there!
Well I'm starting to get the hang of the auto somewhat. The creep mode seems to only work backing up a real steep incline.
The part that's driving me crazy is the take off, 5 gears in 50ft is slow! Got to watch the intersections for enough time to get across.
Winter will be fun
thank you sir ,, from what I gather , the automatics from 20 years ago ( I didn’t know they even had them back then ) were not v good to drive in winter, I was deathly afraid to drive one in winter, but the newer trucks have so many sensors, that that truck seems to know what you are doing and the road conditions, I was pleasantly surprised..
Be safe sir

In high school (1960s), our driver's ed car was a full size Chevy with 3-speed on the column. Everyone in my high school learned to drive a standard, column trans. The Driver's Ed teacher was also the football coach, and he was brutal. You did what he said or you flunked. Even 60 years later, when I stop behind a car at a light or stop sign, I still want to see the back tires of the car in front of me touching the pavement.

My wife and I had 4 speed trans cars from the mid-60s to the late 90s. Our oldest daughter learned on a 4 speed, and the first car she bought was a 4 speed. We all now drive automatics, but not because we want to.

In 1969, the Army Reserve decided that my college degree qualified me to be a truck driver. Basic training at North Fort Polk in 69-70 was bad, but driver's school was cool. My assigned vehicle at my reserve unit was a 50s, gas only, deuce-and-a half truck. While everyone else wanted the newer multi-fuel, I took the one no one else wanted to drive, mainly because officers didn't want to be caught dead riding in it. I was the pig-pen of the unit. I would check the oil on pant leg or hat and maybe clean my uniform once a year. The motor Sgt liked me because I would be one of those to come in whenever he needed to get trucks ready for inspections. I loved that old 2 1/2 ton. Ive always said that if I win the lottery, I'd buy one.

Top Bottom