What's new

Where's Greybeard?

Okay here's the deal, about four weeks ago my wifey, and one of my sisters, made a weekend vist to our little mountain cabin at Tiger, GA. Also in Tiger is a little bakery/antique store. The woman that runs it makes fantastic fried pies. So, my girls decied to stop by and get some. That's when my wifey noticed 2 straights in the glass counter at the cash register. She took a couple of photos with her cell phone, and sent them to me. Then she asked if I wanted her to buy them for me. The pics weren't very good, and they didn't have the blades open, so I told her NO, not until I can see them. She replied, "they're gonna be gone." I replied, "no they wont."
Fast fwd to this past weekend. My wifey went to Alabama to visit her mom. I had an invitation from a friend to do some trout fishing not too far from my cabin, so off I went.
First thing when I got there I stop by the store, the razors were sill there, and not too bad, some rust but no chips, or cracks. She wanted $20 for one, $12 for the other. I offered her $30 for both, she accepted and even threw in a fried peach pie.

First up H. M. Christensen 11/16" Faux ivory scales, black plastic spacer. Shank has "H.M. Christensen Co Brockton, Mass." While the back only says "Warranted"
I couldn't find much info on it...
proxy.php

proxy.php

Next Genco Wedge, measures 7/16, but has some moderate hone wear, so possible that it was 5/8 originally. Has a hammered shank/tang. On the front it says "Genco Wedge" obverse says "The Genco Co, made in USA, Bradford PA"
I love the scales, the scales also have the Name "Wedge" on them.
I found a bit of info on the Genco, but some conflicting. One said Genco was a name used by Geneva. Another said it was a name used by Case, after they bought Geneva.
One more thing, most Genco's I have seen say made in Ney York, but mine says Bradford, PA.
proxy.php

proxy.php

If I recall, Case bought Geneva Cutlery and moved it from Geneva, NY (top of the next lake over from where I live) to Bradford PA, some time around 1925 or 1935. I think they may have used the Genco name before the move. I shaved with a Genco this morning. Great shaver.

I put a little sandpaper to them, and they shined up quite nice. With a little honing I think i'll have a couple of nice blades to add to my collection.

Nice score. Had to look up Tiger, GA - I'd never heard of it. Population 316 at the 2000 census, I'm not surprised I'd never heard of it

Tiger actually has one of the few operating Drive-in theaters that are left in the country. Also has a winery that uses local grapes. I've had a little cabin on the side of Tiger Mtn. for almost 40 years now. Really nice place to go and relax.
Did I mention trout fishing?

Tiger actually has one of the few operating Drive-in theaters that are left in the country. Also has a winery that uses local grapes. I've had a little cabin on the side of Tiger Mtn. for almost 40 years now. Really nice place to go and relax.
Did I mention trout fishing?

Sounds nice. As a Brian Eno fan I'd be pretty stoked to have a cabin on Tiger Mountain :)

Congrats Bill, they are in good shape. Yes they should both shave pretty well. Genco's hold a pretty good edge. I have an H.M. Christensen, but have not honed it up.

I still cannot find much info on H.M. Christensen. Because it does not say Made in U.S.A. can I assume it is pre 1920?

"The company was founded by Henry M.Christensen in 1889. Located at 21 Grand, Brockton, Massachusetts.
In 1900, they moved to 987 Montello Street. The company was sold in 1905 to Carl A.Bohlin and Carl D.Fhyr.
About 1957, they went out of business."

I had a couple HMC razors and they are top notch shavers.

Top Bottom